PDA

View Full Version : Have You Left The Net54 Community?

frankbmd
07-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Apart from being banned by the management there are numerous other reasons, no doubt, why folks have left the Forum and have moved on to less worthwhile pursuits. So if you have left the Forum, please tell us why. What would it take to get you back? On the other hand there may be members who would like to join you where you are now (in a better place?). Remember that Net54 cares, not only about you, but also about your cards and memorabilia as well.

ullmandds
07-06-2017, 09:25 AM
but Frank...if one has left the forum...how would they see this?????

frankbmd
07-06-2017, 09:30 AM

It's an omni thread Pete, posted on every forum in the universe.;)

Brian Van Horn
07-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Maybe we can get Madam Zelda or this guy to conjure them back.

ullmandds
07-06-2017, 09:34 AM
It's an omni thread Pete, posted on every thread in the universe.;)

ok...good! i was starting to think maybe you forgot your vitamins today!!!

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 09:39 AM
I expect that most people who don't see this thread will reply.

ALR-bishop
07-06-2017, 09:44 AM
" Sometimes you just have to demand all of your rights....even if you are not sure what your rights are...or who you are talking to...and when you leave, slam the door".... Jack Handey

scooter729
07-06-2017, 09:52 AM
I have a friend who left the forum for a while. But it just turned out he was in the bathroom. And he had his iPad with him, and was reading the forum while in there. So he never really left.

Yeah, definitely a friend of mine.

barrysloate
07-06-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm kind of one foot in, one foot out. I post primarily when asked why I left the forum.

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Please post why you don't post.

bobbyw8469
07-06-2017, 10:43 AM
I left the PSA community. They removed me, but it was like "You cant fire me, I quit deal". I was tired of being constantly harrassed on there. My time is over, and I can go back if so desired, but I have no desire to. That board has really gone downhill in recent years, IMHO.

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 10:50 AM
I left the PSA community. They removed me, but it was like "You cant fire me, I quit deal". I was tired of being constantly harrassed on there. My time is over, and I can go back if so desired, but I have no desire to. That board has really gone downhill in recent years, IMHO.

It's all poppage and rips over there. Can barely stand to read it lol.

barrysloate
07-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Please post why you don't post.

I guess I don't post as much because I don't find the board as interesting as it once was. Many of the best posters have left, and I think that detracts a little. Nothing you can do about it. People come and go...talking of Michelangelo.:)

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 11:10 AM
I guess I don't post as much because I don't find the board as interesting as it once was. Many of the best posters have left, and I think that detracts a little. Nothing you can do about it. People come and go...talking of Michelangelo.:)

At least it's not a wasteland yet.

Centauri
07-06-2017, 11:13 AM
I was a many times a day visitor and poster. I especially liked the BST on the site, until...

I had a disagreement with a seller. I was interested in a $50 card, and was in discussions with him. The price was already strong, then after we had kinda agreed on the price, he wanted $5 for shipping. I said no and walked away, the seller ran to Leon. Leon supported the seller 110%, and was quite condescending to me about it. It was silly of the seller to make a big deal for a) a small card, b) a commodity type card that can be sold anywhere for the market price.

To shut everyone up about it, I paid for the card, immediately sold it on ebay for a nearly identical price, and just dropped the site. I have visited maybe twice in the last year since.

brianp-beme
07-06-2017, 11:16 AM
That's it! The posting of this pointless thread has prompted me to post my final pointless post. Thanks a LOT Frank for causing this to happen.

Brian

barrysloate
07-06-2017, 11:26 AM
At least it's not a wasteland yet.

That was the "cruellest" post (I think only Peter and I know what we are talking about).

buymycards
07-06-2017, 11:32 AM
I can't leave. I signed a multi-year contract with Leon. I may end up getting traded to another forum.

trdcrdkid
07-06-2017, 11:49 AM
That was the "cruellest" post (I think only Peter and I know what we are talking about).

I got it too.

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 11:50 AM

I recall a parody that substituted Joe DiMaggio for Michelangelo.

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 11:50 AM
I got it too.

You probably have the original manuscripts of his poems somewhere in your archive. :D

tschock
07-06-2017, 11:56 AM
I remember one time seeing Kobe leave the Forum.

T206Jim
07-06-2017, 12:03 PM
I truly think Eliot had baseball in mind when he denoted April as the cruelest month.

vintagewhitesox
07-06-2017, 12:09 PM
I got it too.

As an english major, I am proud to say that I recognize the literary allusion in this post.
huzzah.

iowadoc77
07-06-2017, 12:11 PM
I have tried to leave several times but I can't.
Apparently I can check out any time I like but can never leave.
All kidding aside, I really like this place. Was on blowout forums for awhile and the level of BS and people jumping all over you for breaking the "rules". And people calling foul if you don't have your cards priced "way below EBay". This is a good place in my opinion.

barrysloate
07-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Glad to see there are still people around who enjoy reading poetry. That makes me happy.

frankbmd
07-06-2017, 12:42 PM
The Four Quartets would no doubt have more appeal on a Football Forum.;)

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Nobody comes here nowadays, it's too crowded...

Den*nis O*Brien
07-06-2017, 12:46 PM

....Talking about Newton P. ( or was it F.) Minnow...."Television is a vast wasteland" ?????

gnaz01
07-06-2017, 12:54 PM
https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

Stampsfan
07-06-2017, 12:59 PM
"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you..."

I remember reading an interview with DiMaggio, who said when he first heard that song, he exclaimed to himself "I didn't know I went anywhere."

After that he was back on TV as Mr. Coffee.

trdcrdkid
07-06-2017, 01:42 PM
You probably have the original manuscripts of his poems somewhere in your archive. :D

Nah, I'm more of a Shakespeare guy. No manuscripts, but I have something like 800 Shakespeare-related books.

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 01:52 PM
"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you..."

I remember reading an interview with DiMaggio, who said when he first heard that song, he exclaimed to himself "I didn't know I went anywhere."

Simon's hero was Mantle not DiMaggio, but he said the lyric worked better.

trdcrdkid
07-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Simon's hero was Mantle not DiMaggio, but he said the lyric worked better.

https://pouringcoffeeads.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/mister-cofeee.jpg

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Nah, I'm more of a Shakespeare guy. No manuscripts, but I have something like 800 Shakespeare-related books.

So in your informed opinion did someone else write the works attributed to Shakespeare?

trdcrdkid
07-06-2017, 02:41 PM
So in your informed opinion did someone else write the works attributed to Shakespeare?

No, definitely not. I have a whole website devoted to refuting the idea that somebody else wrote the works of Shakespeare, and I've written about it in several places in print, most recently in "The Cambridge Guide to the Worlds of Shakespeare".

http://shakespeareauthorship.com/

MikeGarcia
07-06-2017, 02:50 PM
..."I would never belong to a club that would have someone like me as a member"---The Earl of Shrewsbury

tedzan
07-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Re....." Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you "

Initially, Joe D was not too happy about his name being in Simon and Garfunkel's song.

But, Joe's agent advised Joe that it would be good publicity for him. So, Joe OK'd it.

But, Joe refused to allow these lyrics to be sung in the movie (The Graduate).

And, sure enough, the lyrics are not included in the song featured in the movie.

TED Z

Sean
07-06-2017, 03:03 PM
No, definitely not. I have a whole website devoted to refuting the idea that somebody else wrote the works of Shakespeare, and I've written about it in several places in print, most recently in "The Cambridge Guide to the Worlds of Shakespeare".

Great references. I love the article by Ron Rosensbaum for Slate (and it mentions your website). :)

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 03:07 PM

I guess I asked the right guy. Fascinating. Do you have a favorite play? As just a casual reader (well, a little more than that, but not a scholar) mine is probably Macbeth.

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 03:12 PM
Re....." Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you "

Initially, Joe D was not too happy about his name being in Simon and Garfunkel's song.

But, Joe's agent advised Joe that it would be good publicity for him. So, Joe OK'd it.

And, sure enough, the lyrics are not included in the song featured in the movie.

TED Z

Why would they need his permission? Ted, that doesn't sound right to me, he was a public figure and the copyright to the song would have been with its author.

trdcrdkid
07-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Why would they need his permission? Ted, that doesn't sound right to me, he was a public figure and the copyright to the song would have been with its author.

Legally, they wouldn't have needed his permission, but I'm guessing they wanted his blessing anyway out of respect. Weird Al Yankovic always asks the original singers of his parody songs for permission, and won't do a parody without that permission, even though legally his parodies are covered under fair use.

trdcrdkid
07-06-2017, 03:24 PM
I guess I asked the right guy. Fascinating. Do you have a favorite play? As just a casual reader (well, a little more than that, but not a scholar) mine is probably Macbeth.

I get asked that all the time, but it's hard to pick out one play as my "favorite". Sometimes I say Henry IV part 1, because it mixes comedy and tragedy and has one of Shakespeare's greatest characters in Falstaff.

timn1
07-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Hi Barry,

You literary dileliottante, you! I know what you are talking about-

I assume I am one of those scintillating posters who isn't around as much that you miss so much.... :D

ls7plus
07-06-2017, 03:47 PM

I remember reading that Joe was actually considering suing Paul Simon because he didn't understand the verse's positive connotation. Reminded me of Ted Williams attempting to probe DiMag's mind about hitting at one all-star game and concluding that the latter knew next to nothing about hitting--he just did it. Which was what Joe D. said to an inquiring Mike Epstein--"you can't learn it; you either have it or you don't." Not a guy with an inquisitive, analytical nature to be sure.

Regards,

Larry

Nunzio11
07-06-2017, 04:02 PM
How could anyone leave this forum? A directionless thread turns into a discussion on past members, rival forums, Shakespeare, Simon and Garfunkel, Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams! Classic stuff! Exactly why we're all here!

Peter_Spaeth
07-06-2017, 04:06 PM
I remember reading that Joe was actually considering suing Paul Simon because he didn't understand the verse's positive connotation. Reminded me of Ted Williams attempting to probe DiMag's mind about hitting at one all-star game and concluding that the latter knew next to nothing about hitting--he just did it. Which was what Joe D. said to an inquiring Mike Epstein--"you can't learn it; you either have it or you don't." Not a guy with an inquisitive, analytical nature to be sure.

Regards,

Larry

Richard Ben Cramer's biography absolutely savaged him. It seemed a quite one-sided presentation.

Big Six
07-06-2017, 04:38 PM
I miss Archive...well, not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2oya311
07-06-2017, 04:41 PM
The Merchant of Venice: "The quality of mercy is not strained. It droppeth like the gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath..."

The entire speech is still ingrained in my head after memorizing it for high school... 25 years later!

Stampsfan
07-06-2017, 04:58 PM
How could anyone leave this forum? A directionless thread turns into a discussion on past members, rival forums, Shakespeare, Simon and Garfunkel, Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams! Classic stuff! Exactly why we're all here!

Maybe people leave because we cannot keep a single thread on track. A bunch of guys having multiple conversations at once. Not sure why that is?

Wait, squirrel....

frankbmd
07-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Maybe people leave because we cannot keep a single thread on track. A bunch of guys having multiple conversations at once. Not sure why that is?

Wait, squirrel....

This thread is on schedule and proceeding exactly as planned. Carry on.

barrysloate
07-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Hi Barry,

You literary dileliottante, you! I know what you are talking about-

I assume I am one of those scintillating posters who isn't around as much that you miss so much.... :D

One of many Tim. Hope you are doing well. I wrote a baseball poem, please tell me what you think of it:

Leo Durocher
Doesn't keep kosher.

Do you think I can get it published?

KingFisk
07-06-2017, 05:42 PM
That was the "cruellest" post (I think only Peter and I know what we are talking about).Some TS Eliot goings on here....
Edit to add I should read whole thread before jumping in with my limited literary knowledge.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KingFisk
07-06-2017, 05:46 PM

TED Z
.And Art Garfunkel is a big Phillies fan. I was at game 2 of the 2009 WS and they were shown on the big screen sitting together. That was a cool moment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Section103
07-06-2017, 07:11 PM
https://pouringcoffeeads.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/mister-cofeee.jpg

Here's a guy that was married to Marilyn Monroe and still says Mr. Coffee was the best he ever tasted. (I think it was Gallagher)

Tao_Moko
07-06-2017, 07:45 PM
It's worth a few minutes of viewing pleasure a week during a poop.

Bocabirdman
07-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Here's a guy that was married to Marilyn Monroe and still says Mr. Coffee was the best he ever tasted. (I think it was Gallagher)

That's because Marilyn tasted like Henry Miller

MikeGarcia
07-06-2017, 08:04 PM
..." I used to be Snow White , but I drifted ."----Mae West

toledo_mudhen
07-07-2017, 02:08 AM
Maybe we can get Madam Zelda or this guy to conjure them back.

If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them

frankbmd
07-07-2017, 02:55 AM
If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them

But what if they get to the fork in the road and don't take it.:confused:

Peter_Spaeth
07-07-2017, 06:08 AM

Then they wont be telling it with a sigh.

Paul S
07-07-2017, 10:18 AM

As Carson used to say, "When you get to the Slauson Cutoff...":D

Fred
07-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Can someone just put a link to the "Welcome Back Kotter" theme song...:p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZzEzDkeHzI

Butch7999
07-07-2017, 07:59 PM
Didn't really leave so much as went on a self-imposed posting moratorium,
saving the next post we'd make for some actually valuable contribution to
hobby knowledge, or at least something seriously intelligent to say, or at
the very least something brilliantly hilarious, because that post would be
our milestone 500th... annnd... oh noooo! Damn you, Frank!

# 500, 2017 July 7

ullmandds
07-07-2017, 08:01 PM

Yes!

PiratesWS1979
07-07-2017, 08:24 PM

THANKS! Had take a break from Rancid to listen.

Sean
07-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Didn't really leave so much as went on a self-imposed posting moratorium,
saving the next post we'd make for some actually valuable contribution to
hobby knowledge, or at least something seriously intelligent to say, or at
the very least something brilliantly hilarious, because that post would be
our milestone 500th... annnd... oh noooo! Damn you, Frank!

# 500, 2017 July 7

If I waited until I had something valuable or brilliant to post, I would only have posted three or four times....... Case in point. :rolleyes:

quinnsryche
07-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Boobies!

Edwolf1963
07-07-2017, 09:33 PM
What would it take to get you back?

Reinstate Marshall Barkman.

.. Wait.

I never left.

.. Nevermind.

Carry on.

drmondobueno
07-07-2017, 10:06 PM
That's because Marilyn tasted like Henry Miller

Lol.

Can't leave Net54 cuz I'm slowly turning into a rock.

Michael B
07-08-2017, 12:21 AM
THANKS! Had take a break from Rancid to listen.

Can never get enough of "Ruby Soho" or "Roots, Radicals, Rockers".

slipk1068
07-08-2017, 10:13 AM

It would be cool if Wonka took the fork in the road. Honk if you miss Wonka. Honk honk...

Brian Van Horn
07-08-2017, 10:25 AM
For a post aimed at people who are no longer here, this is getting a lot of responses.

kcohen
07-08-2017, 10:50 AM

+1

MikeGarcia
07-08-2017, 10:58 AM
For a post aimed at people who are no longer here, this is getting a lot of responses.

...bear in mind the type of people you're dealing with in here : baseball card collectors. Case closed...

Brian Van Horn
07-08-2017, 11:06 AM
...bear in mind the type of people you're dealing with in here : baseball card collectors. Case closed...

Oh, fellow junkies.

MVSNYC
07-08-2017, 12:40 PM
This might turn into an NYC Dinner thread.

barrysloate
07-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Hey Michael- I'm in, it's been a long time!

Peter_Spaeth
07-08-2017, 02:04 PM
It would be cool if Wonka took the fork in the road. Honk if you miss Wonka. Honk honk...

I believe a fork was stuck in Wonka.

judsonhamlin
07-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Did someone say NYC dinner thread? Dibs!

Republicaninmass
07-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Did someone say NYC dinner thread? Dibs!

Is Peter Luger too cliche?

ullmandds
07-08-2017, 06:48 PM
nyc steak dinner!!!!!! do it the first week of september...I wanna guy!!!! i've heard so much about the peter luger place...archive told me it was grreat!

barrysloate
07-09-2017, 04:23 AM
To get into Luger's, you have to make reservations more than a month in advance. And you have to bring cash, no credit cards. But it's not hype, best porterhouse steak you will ever eat. Figure $75-100 each, minimum. I can set it up, but we need to keep to a commitment.

frankbmd
07-09-2017, 07:33 AM
To get into Luger's, you have to make reservations more than a month in advance. And you have to bring cash, no credit cards. But it's not hype, best porterhouse steak you will ever eat. Figure $75-100 each, minimum. I can set it up, but we need to keep to a commitment.

Barry,

I can tell you when I could have made it in June, but I hear the sky is falling in September.

As you know ordering steak on this medium rarely is successful.:D

barrysloate
07-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Barry,

I can tell you when I could have made it in June, but I hear the sky is falling in September.

As you know ordering steak on this medium rarely is successful.:D

Good steaks are rare these days, so don't order yours well done.