PDA

View Full Version : Uniform/jersey advice needed

drumback
07-01-2017, 01:04 PM
I recently picked up this flannel jersey on eBay. I am guessing it is probably from the 1920s. This is not my area of expertise, so one quick question. Is it a good idea to clean this jersey, or do collectors prefer them with original dirt stains and wrinkles? Feedback would be very much appreciated.

Jim65
07-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Personally, I would NEVER wash a jersey, no matter the age.

ooo-ribay
07-02-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm not a "jersey guy" by any means, but I would have to think there are people out there who can clean old flannels without ruining them. I'm not sure what the protocol is regarding cleaning or not cleaning old uniforms but (right or wrong) I try to make my "stuff" look as presentable as possible. I'm hoping one of the experts besides Jim will weigh in on this.

Dave Grob
07-03-2017, 09:13 AM
With these older garments that are made of wool/cotton, you should always be mindful of the potential for foxing. Foxing is a textile term used to describe a type of staining that appears as rust-like spots from fungus or mildew spores growing on or in the fabric). As such, a light conservation cleaning is seldom a bad idea. A mild detergent like Woolite and use of de-ionized or distilled-water can do wonders for these garments. This is all done by hand and garments are dried flat on towels. I have done this in the past and have great success. This particular 1934 Dodgers home uniform was offered originally as road uniform in part because of the rather dingy appearance.

Dave Grob

Duluth Eskimo
07-03-2017, 10:55 AM
That is a great success Dave. Nice jersey. I'm not so sure I'd be so daring on such a nice piece.