PDA

View Full Version : TV Program about Mastro Auctions

James Mulcock
06-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Hi, I am a television producer for a TV program called "American Greed," which airs on CNBC and details cases of financial crimes and fraud, and we are currently producing a program about the fraud at Mastro Auctions.

I'm posting this because I'm certain that many people on this forum have dealt personally with Mastro and Doug Allen, and we are scouring the hobby looking for any photos and videos, or leads on photos and videos, that people may be willing to share with our program. They can be of Mastro and Allen themselves, of Mastro Auctions events, or anything else that you may have that you think could be relevant.

If you have any material, thoughts, guidance or questions, please PM me and we can discuss it further.

Thank you!

James Mulcock

trdcrdkid
06-30-2017, 03:33 PM
I've posted a lot of articles about and by Mastro from early hobby publications dating back to the late 1960s, if they would be of any help. Here are links:

Bill Mastro in the hobby press, 1969-70:
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221977

1971: Mastro pays $300 for T206 Plank in auction in The Trader Speaks:
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=218999

1971 Mastro column in Sports Advertiser's Journal:
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220718

1973 Trader Speaks profile of Mastro:
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=217776

1976 Mastro auctions in Sports Collector's Digest, and Mastro article about Frank Nagy:
http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=218636

Brian Van Horn
06-30-2017, 08:26 PM
This show hasn't even been completed yet and it's one of my favorites!

ejharrington
06-30-2017, 08:32 PM
American Greed is my favorite show. I'm sure this will be my favorite episode!

LEHR
06-30-2017, 08:34 PM
This show hasn't even been completed yet and it's one of my favorites!

I'm looking forward to this episode as well Brian. I'm a huge fan of American Greed so it will be interesting to watch an episode about the hobby.

orly57
06-30-2017, 08:48 PM
James, any ideas on when it would be airing?

Enfuego
06-30-2017, 09:44 PM
When will it air?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Van Horn
07-01-2017, 01:20 AM
My guess is that it will air for next season, possibly in February.

Rich Klein
07-01-2017, 05:33 AM
Ryan C posted on FB about being interviewed for this and he said August, 2017 in his post.

Rich

perezfan
07-01-2017, 01:20 PM
Wonder if the show focuses strictly on Mastro/Legendary, or if it branches out a bit beyond that.

Would especially love to see Coaches Corner exposed. but suspect this one will focus solely on Mastro. Either way, can't wait until it airs!

RichardSimon
07-01-2017, 01:24 PM
James,
If you want to do an episode about autograph fraud in the sports memorabilia business, I and some friends of mine would be happy to speak to you.
I do not have any specifics about Mastro.

1880nonsports
07-03-2017, 09:41 PM
PLEASE listen to what Richard has to say. PLEASE.

Brian Van Horn
07-03-2017, 09:55 PM
James,
If you want to do an episode about autograph fraud in the sports memorabilia business, I and some friends of mine would be happy to speak to you.
I do not have any specifics about Mastro.

I have only ever wanted to have two autographs in my life. One is of Manny Sanguillen, who was my hero when I was a kid. I have three autographs from him. The other is J. Bob "Battleship" Kelly, who is my all-time favorite Penguins player. I believe I have two autographs from him, but they were not signed in person, as was the case with Sanguillen, so I am not sure. Outside of these two I have never wanted for an autograph because it is my opinion any idiot can sign a name unless they are unfortunate enough to be illiterate. My lack of interest in autographs and the first part of the last sentence are why I stay away from the autograph side of the hobby.

Gary Dunaier
07-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Outside of these two I have never wanted for an autograph because it is my opinion any idiot can sign a name unless they are unfortunate enough to be illiterate.

I don't understand your logic - unless you're referring exclusively to buying autographs second-hand. Would I be correct in presuming that your opinion does not apply to getting autographs in person?

James Mulcock
08-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Hi Everyone -

Thank you so much for your interest and responses. I think the show came together very well. In fact, we're moving up the airing. Look for it on CNBC on August 21st, 10pm ET/PT.

Brian Van Horn
08-04-2017, 01:41 PM
James,

Thank you!!!

irv
08-04-2017, 03:18 PM
Hi Everyone -

Thank you so much for your interest and responses. I think the show came together very well. In fact, we're moving up the airing. Look for it on CNBC on August 21st, 10pm ET/PT.

Any idea if "American Greed" airs in Canada?

I'd also like to watch it.

RichardSimon
08-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Hi Everyone -

James,
The Mastro story pales in comparison to how much has been stolen in the autograph business.
I want to reiterate what I said earlier, if you want to do a story about that please contact me.