PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mickey Mantle Day, Yankee Stadium, 6/8/1969

Buythatcard
06-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Came across this video on YouTube. Brought back some warm memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2HnZi0Ad-Y

z28jd
06-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Was just talking about this day with my dad. He was there with a friend. I refused to go because I wasn't born yet. We have a program from the day autographed by Babe Ruth's wife

JollyElm
06-26-2017, 06:56 PM
I refused to go because I wasn't born yet.

That's very funny. Ha ha!!!

It was very cool watching that event on youtube. What I always find fascinating is how the New York teams had such outstanding southern gentlemen as announcers (Mel Allen, Red Barber, et al) in the past. With all of our New York accents bouncing around in the air, how cool it must have been listening to games with the honey-dripping patois of those guys coming across the wires. Awesome!!

Yoda
06-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Great moment for a great ball player, but I got side tracked with a side bar; the Home Run Derby contest between The Mick and Willie Mays. Not sure of the year but Willie is wearing a San Fran uniform. Watching them bat brought back some great memories: how Willie's huge hands fold around the handle of the bat and Mickey's slightly crouched but still relaxed stance. In the game itself, Willy jumps out to big lead but Mick chips away it. An exciting finish but, no, I am not going tell you the outcome. You will have to watch it yourself.
If that wasn't enough, other Derby contest personally yet to be seen pits Mantle against the likes of Harmon Killebrew and Jackie Jensen. Can't wait to view them.

Buythatcard
06-28-2017, 06:00 AM
Great moment for a great ball player, but I got side tracked with a side bar; the Home Run Derby contest between The Mick and Willie Mays. Not sure of the year but Willie is wearing a San Fran uniform. Watching them bat brought back some great memories: how Willie's huge hands fold around the handle of the bat and Mickey's slightly crouched but still relaxed stance. In the game itself, Willy jumps out to big lead but Mick chips away it. An exciting finish but, no, I am not going tell you the outcome. You will have to watch it yourself.
If that wasn't enough, other Derby contest personally yet to be seen pits Mantle against the likes of Harmon Killebrew and Jackie Jensen. Can't wait to view them.

I recently watched all the Home Run Derby videos. I remember watching this show as a kid. Show had many Hall of Famers who were in the prime of their careers.

mickey7mantle7
07-17-2017, 10:41 PM
Came across this video on YouTube. Brought back some warm memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2HnZi0Ad-Y

I clicked on that and ended up spending and hour on YouTube watching other baseball stuff as well lol.

Thanks for the memories!