PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone ever had an eBay buyer ask to pay for an item in installments?

CharleyBrown
06-26-2017, 02:20 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this, since it doesn't really fit in the Water Cooler section.

I was contacted by an eBay buyer interested in an item I have listed. He made an offer, I countered. He then messaged me asking if he could pay me in installments over the course of a 4-6 months until the item was paid off? He says that he is acting on behalf of a library.

Has anyone ever done such a deal on eBay? I thought eBay had their own installment payment kind of deal.

Snapolit1
06-26-2017, 02:23 PM
That's what credit cards are for. A built in installment payment program.

bobbyw8469
06-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Yes....A Spider Man #2 I had on Ebay......he made payments every month, and I didnt ship until the last payment came.....

Mdmtx
06-26-2017, 02:31 PM
I have done this as a buyer many times. In fact I have a current deal pending with 3 payments to go.

bnorth
06-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Yes....A Spider Man #2 I had on Ebay......he made payments every month, and I didnt ship until the last payment came.....

That is great that it worked out for both of you.. How did that work on/with eBay?

I have never done it on eBay but have asked on here(Net54) about doing it on a complete set i purchased.

x2drich2000
06-26-2017, 02:37 PM
Personally, through Ebay I wouldn't do it. Ebay just has way to many loopholes, rules, requirements, etc to take the risk. However, if someone from this site needed to make payments over time, i would work with them on it. Likewise I've had people on this site hold cards aside for me until I could pay for them. In all cases, make sure everyone knows the game plan upfront and don't send the card until payment has been made in full.

DJ

philliesfan
06-26-2017, 02:42 PM
Yes I have. He wanted to do two payment about two months apart. It worked out fine. I did not ship until the second payment cleared.
Robert

ALR-bishop
06-26-2017, 02:46 PM
I am just a buyer on ebay but often see and get offers from sellers I purchase from to make payments over time, especially on larger items. I fortunately do not need to use them but not surprised some buyers ask for it if they are seeing what I see

Mdmtx
06-26-2017, 02:52 PM
The deals I have done as a buyer have been off eBay and 2000.00 or more. I have done this about 8 times. It allows me to cash flow the purchases better and keep my wife's smirks to love smirks rather than hate. I also did a similar deal here for 1k with Leon. Has worked well on each occasion and has been a win/win imo.

Mark

bobbyw8469
06-26-2017, 03:10 PM
That is great that it worked out for both of you.. How did that work on/with eBay?

I have never done it on eBay but have asked on here(Net54) about doing it on a complete set i purchased.

I closed the item on Ebay and he made payments through PayPal, if I remember correctly......It went perfectly, but I guess there could have been problems?

vintagetoppsguy
06-26-2017, 03:18 PM
I've seen sellers offer this before on BIN auctions where the price is inflated a bit. I think eBay seller Mike Denero (sp?) offers that on his eBay listings. I've never used it before, but I can understand why he offers it if it moves more cards.

ls7plus
06-26-2017, 04:24 PM
I've arranged for such purchases as a buyer with dealers I knew, such as Tony Arnold and a few others. They keep the item until the last payment is made, and then ship. Has worked out quite well for me. I got my 1907 Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb through Tony that way when cash flow in my practice was a bit tough during the great recession.

Best wishes,

Larry

botn
06-26-2017, 05:19 PM
If you would be taking paypal payments be aware that in order to comply with the seller protection policy each paypal payment must have a unique tracking number. This would obviously not be possible if you are shipping 1 item. In their user agreement it recommends to never take multiple payments for an item.

And as was suggested there maybe issues with eBay in taking multiple payments for an item. I am not aware of a program where ebay supports that since it would frustrate the paypal policy and they require sellers to take paypal or another online payment service.

bmattioli
06-26-2017, 05:52 PM
I would not have a problem with a BST in the forum but on EBay no way.. Too many rules with feedback, what happens after the 90 days.. I'd also say pay with a CC..

pokerplyr80
06-26-2017, 06:01 PM
I agree that's what credit cards or the ebay payment plan are for. Unless I knew the person I wouldn't agree to that as an eBay seller. I did make what was for me a large purchase here once and asked if I could put a deposit and pay when a consignment sold a couple of weeks later. The seller agreed, but we had done business a few times before.

gabrinus
06-26-2017, 06:10 PM
I used to have customers at my liquor store try to do that......for a half-pint of Kentucky Deluxe........Jerry

CharleyBrown
06-26-2017, 07:10 PM
If you would be taking paypal payments be aware that in order to comply with the seller protection policy each paypal payment must have a unique tracking number. This would obviously not be possible if you are shipping 1 item. In their user agreement it recommends to never take multiple payments for an item.

And as was suggested there maybe issues with eBay in taking multiple payments for an item. I am not aware of a program where ebay supports that since it would frustrate the paypal policy and they require sellers to take paypal or another online payment service.

Greg, thanks for pointing that out. Looks like it's a violation of eBay TOS too, and since I don't know the buyer, I think it's best to pass on this one.

samosa4u
06-27-2017, 09:43 AM
I've had buyers make monthly installments through Paypal.

drcy
06-27-2017, 11:55 AM
As a seller, I did a non-eBay 2x payment on a large lot. Half the lot sent after the first payment, half the lot sent after the second.

KingFisk
06-27-2017, 02:50 PM
He should just sign up for PayPal Credit if he's eligible. The 6 month interest free on purchases over $99 has floated many of my bigger buys.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bbcard1
06-27-2017, 02:58 PM
I've done it on BST a few times with large purchases.

LEHR
06-27-2017, 07:06 PM
As a buyer I've made payments on an item a few times but only if it's interest free. If I have to pay interest to someone I might as well use a credit card, which I refuse to do for hobby/collectible purchases.