PDA

View Full Version : What's with digital autographs?

djson1
06-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Am I missing something or am I just too much of an old fart?
I've been seeing Topps digital autographed cards go for some decent bucks on ebay. What is it? Are they just digital pictures of autographed cards? Why would you pay big money for these?

Am I completely missing something?

Here's one example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topps-Bunt-Baseball-2017-Standouts-Clayton-Kershaw-Signature-Digital-Auto-/152592548132?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

mrmopar
06-20-2017, 09:01 PM
I don't get it either, but digital collecting seems to have caught on well, at least for the moment. The funny thing is, aside from actually owning the image to resell to someone else, you can still have the same image the owner has. You are able to view the cards through the application and screenshot them just like if you own them.

If you don't actually own something physically, then we might as well just collect google images and have the greatest collections of all time.

Mr. Zipper
06-21-2017, 06:23 AM
So these are "virtual cards?" Is it some sort of file type that you can transfer to someone else, but can't be copied? I assume you need an app to access the card...

I don't get it, but then again... I also don't get how on Amazon the .MP3 download often costs more than an actual CD with artwork and a booklet.

mrmopar
06-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Topps Bunt is a free application for your phone. You can "buy" packs with coins that you collect each day for signing on to the site or you can actually physically buy coins with real money. All of the cards are digital images, some limited, some not. It is like busting a real pack for cards, where there are limited inserts and such. I log on daily for the heck of it, since it takes only a few seconds, my phone is always with me during the work day and it is is kind of fun. I have never tried to sell any though. I don't have anything anyone would want (I don't think I do at least).

djson1
06-23-2017, 11:05 AM
That's interesting. I guess I am part of a different generation though as I still don't really understand the monetary value in "owning the image", so to speak.
Like you pointed out, we can then just google all the great signatures and be happy with the greatest collection. If only I could be that easily satisfied, I wouldn't get so many comments from my wife for blowing money on real autographs.