PDA

View Full Version : Soaking A Cheap Beater

charlietheexterminator
06-20-2017, 04:02 PM
This past week I picked up a few glue covered Carolina Bright cards, very cheaply on EBay. The first card came out pretty good, just about everything came off. It took 20 minutes from start to finish.
For someone that wants to soak for the first time, this is what I did. I used luke warm distilled water in a plastic soup bowl. Submerged the card for 10 minutes, removed it and felt around for a loose / weak edge to start the pulling process. If you find no loose edges, don't start tugging, re-submerge it. I found a loose edge, loosened it up a bit, then submerged it for another 5 minutes. The rest of the glue came off easy, in a complete layer.
If you noticed part of the card is coming off with the glue, stop immediately and and start from another end. Try not to get frustrated.

ullmandds
06-20-2017, 04:04 PM
nice work! from my experience I try not to pull...just soak until just moving the card around with a tweezer or q-tip causes the remnants to just basically fall of!

charlietheexterminator
06-20-2017, 04:24 PM
nice work! from my experience I try not to pull...just soak until just moving the card around with a tweezer or q-tip causes the remnants to just basically fall of!

I agree Pete, if the glue can come off by it self, that's the best way. Not all glued back in the day were the same. The glue on this card was more of a shellac. Attached is the finished product.

ooo-ribay
06-20-2017, 06:24 PM
thought you were talking one of these:

edjs
06-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Dang, he sent that out fast. Last time I bought from that guy he took nearly 5 weeks to send, and a lot of threats on my end. That card looks tons better, great job. Glad you did it, he used to put cards in lots of crazy stuff to get rid of adhesive. Kudos.