PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy autos of these 30-40's players

chalupacollects
06-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Hello autograph experts, have an opportunity to buy many autos of late 30's and early 40's MLB players from various teams, signed on period sports mags, really one of a kind stuff some HOF'ers many not. I understand lesser known players that passed early may be on occasion pretty valuable. Not authenticated but does have period ink...Don't have scans but here are some of the players:
Joe Berry, Luke Hamlin, Yank Terry, Lew Flick, Andy Seminick, Tommy Byrne, Woody Wheaton, Ed Joost, Johnny Johnson, Chet Ross, Carl Hubbell, Gabby Hartnett, Bucky Harris, Nick Etten, Frankie Crossetti, Hank Carilli, Ben Geraughty, Coaker Triplett, Johnny Dickshot - yes that's his name, Mickey Vernon, Jim Turner, Lou Boudreau Howard Moss, Dain Clay, Frank Coleman, Otto Denning, Frank Skaff, Ken O'Day, Al Lokeman Rip Sewell, Emil Verban, Dutch Reuther Al Lopez, Lester McCrab, Al Rubeling, Sid Gordon, Al Cuccurullo to name a few...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

btcarfagno
06-17-2017, 05:41 AM
Not sure what you mean when you say signed on period sports mags. Do you mean full magazines signed on the cover by the person on the cover? Full mags signed on the inside by these players? Cut pages from magazines signed by the player on their images?

The ones you listed do have some value but none are especially rare. Maybe the Geraughty a bit.

Tom C

mrmopar
06-17-2017, 11:57 AM
What are your plans? If you want to flip them or keep them? Depends on what you collect or your expectations on how fast or for how much you plan to resell for.

For example, I will pick up any Dodger players, players who made an all-star team and then any other award winner and even sometimes someone who had a distinguished or interesting career event or fact. That is a wide array of players to pick from, but I have no interest in players who fall outside of those categories, where as some folks are looking for ANYONE who played a MLB game.

chalupacollects
06-17-2017, 12:05 PM
To clarify, these are sigs in old "Who's Who in baseball editions... many are written over the player bio by the player some are on lined "autograph" page in the back. may be 40 or so autos in a book, the amount varies...not vreally looking to flip but seems super cool items...

btcarfagno
06-17-2017, 01:24 PM
There aren't any names that jump out as a big reason to spend a lot on the Who's Who. No Foxx or Ott or even period signed Williams or DiMaggio it sounds like. Such a book WITH one or town of those might go for $500 or so at auction (if it has, as you say, about 40 total autographs or so). Without any of those names/value players, I would guess it would go for $150-200 at auction on a pretty good day.

Tom C