PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mcgregor VS Mayweather

CrackaJackKid
06-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Now that it's finally confirmed..for those who care..who do you think will win the fight?

1952boyntoncollector
06-15-2017, 12:39 PM
If both get over 150-300 million they both won the fight. Id like to see a fight for $500 bucks, to me thats a real fight and there is only 1 winner

D. Bergin
06-15-2017, 12:47 PM
If it's a boxing match as I have seen, it's going to be completely one sided, unless Mayweather carries him to make it seem more legitimate then it actually is.

Bored5000
06-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Now that it's finally confirmed..for those who care..who do you think will win the fight?

Is anyone actually picking McGregor to win? :confused:

D. Bergin
06-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Unless there's a killer undercard involved, whoever pays for this will get exactly what they deserve....................to get ripped off.

Bocabirdman
06-15-2017, 12:54 PM

His mom...but she might be jiving too.

Arazi4442
06-15-2017, 12:56 PM
I don't know about getting ripped off. For me, the PPV may be worth it just for the chance McGregor gets mad and kicks Mayweather in the head.

bnorth
06-15-2017, 12:56 PM

They would have to be really really really stupid to pick McGregor to win. I actually can't even see him lasting the whole fight for a decision loss.

As someone who has had close to triple digit fights in both sports. I can say there is no way a MMA guy can stand with a pure boxer like Floyd. Even being an old man Floyd is going to embarrass him. It goes the other way also, Conor would embarrass Floyd in an MMA match.

byrone
06-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Probably should stay away from being a MMA fighter, after the results of this study have been released :)

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-report-finds-mma-could-be-bad-your-knees-56256

Shoebox
06-15-2017, 01:47 PM
McGregor has about as much chance of winning as Steph Curry would have at beating Venus Williams in a tennis match or Rob Gronkowski or Odell Beckham beating LeBron James in a game of one-on-one.

packs
06-15-2017, 01:50 PM
I'm bummed Floyd is giving this guy a pay day for no reason. Floyd is going to kill this dude.

I am VERY excited to see Triple G fight Canelo later this year though.

gemmint77
06-15-2017, 02:04 PM
My bet is on Money Mayweather all day!!!

Dpeck100
06-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Definitely going to be buying this PPV.

I self subbed this Mayweather in 2012.

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/dpeck100/Mayweather_zpsfyf3xdhm.jpg

JustinD
06-15-2017, 03:30 PM
McGregor has about as much chance of winning as Steph Curry would have at beating Venus Williams in a tennis match or Rob Gronkowski or Odell Beckham beating LeBron James in a game of one-on-one.

+1

samosa4u
06-15-2017, 03:43 PM
This whole thing is just ridiculous! We've seen what happened to McGregor when he tried to do a little boxing with Nate Diaz - looked like he was going to suffer a heart attack and was running away from Diaz the whole time. This guy has serious stamina issues. I would have liked to have seen Mayweather step into the ring with Keith Thurman instead.

By the way, this thread should be moved to the Watercooler.

KCRfan1
06-15-2017, 04:11 PM
I don't know about getting ripped off. For me, the PPV may be worth it just for the chance McGregor gets mad and kicks Mayweather in the head.

One of the attorney's on the board may want to weigh in on this one, however, I suspect there will be language written in the contract that McGregor forfeits or loses his payday if he does a round house kick to FM head.

The same is true if McGregor resorts to ANY MMA tactics. I agree, it would be worth the PPV just to see FM get konked! Not worth it to McGregor to do it though.

Tao_Moko
06-15-2017, 04:25 PM
As someone who used to practice mixed martial.arts, I would prefer to see a boxer in the cage. However, Dana picked the wrong guy to box in the ring. It"s all hype. Nate would have a slightly better shot at an upset but I wouldn't put real momey on it. Sad thing is - it's bad for mma as a sport.

botn
06-15-2017, 04:56 PM
McGregor is a tremendous athlete but I don't feel he has any chance here despite his talent. If it goes longer than a few minutes then Mayweather is just putting on a show.

I agree with what Jake wrote!

irishdenny
06-15-2017, 04:59 PM
This whole thing is just ridiculous! We've seen what happened to McGregor when he tried to do a little boxing with Nate Diaz - looked like he was going to suffer a heart attack and was running away from Diaz the whole time. This guy has serious stamina issues. I would have liked to have seen Mayweather step into the ring with Keith Thurman instead.

By the way, this thread should be moved to the Watercooler.

Although, I Certainly do Respect Your Humble Opinion!

Here are some facts to add to the Mcgregor/Diaz Fight Opinion:

Mr. Mcgregor was 5'9" - 74 inch reach
And he agreed to fight at a weight 25 lbs above his Normal Fighting weight of 145 lbs(Fight was at 170 lbs)
Most Fight Guru's say he went to bed that night at about 160-166 lbs

Mr. Diaz was 6'0" - 76 inch reach
He made weight and went to bed that night at 183 lbs
This is his Normal Weight Class

Mr. Diaz was a good 20 lbs heavier
Had a 2 inch reach advantage
And was 3 inches Taller

Mr. Mcgregor fought with about 15 extra lbs
From his Normal Fighting Weight Class

sam majors
06-15-2017, 05:37 PM
There will be no winner! First round they dance and touch gloves occasionally. Second round they both throw a few punches, working up a light sweat. Late in the second round THE BIG SHOW runs to the ring, steps over the top rope and chases Floyd in and out and all around the ring. THE BIG SHOW is still pissed from the time Floyd knocked him out on Monday Night Raw. But wait! Here comes the Diaz brothers! They are beating the daylights out of Conor McGregor. Don King is singing God Bless America over the PA. Order is restored when a dozen sickly looking 135 pound men in black and white referee shirts come running in to separate the combatants. Hell, I ain't even finished my second six pack yet!
Dana White issues a press release that night with details of the upcoming second fight! He assures the world that this will be the first time in history that PAY-PER-VIEW will be sold out! Count me in, again! ;) ;) ;)

bnorth
06-15-2017, 05:42 PM
There will be no winner! First round they dance and touch gloves occasionally. Second round they both throw a few punches, working up a light sweat. Late in the second round THE BIG SHOW runs to the ring, steps over the top rope and chases Floyd in and out and all around the ring. THE BIG SHOW is still pissed from the time Floyd knocked him out on Monday Night Raw. But wait! Here comes the Diaz brothers! They are beating the daylights out of Conor McGregor. Don King is singing God Bless America over the PA. Order is restored when a dozen sickly looking 135 pound men in black and white referee shirts come running in to separate the combatants. Hell, I ain't even finished my second six pack yet!
Dana White issues a press release that night with details of the upcoming second fight! He assures the world that this will be the first time in history that PAY-PER-VIEW will be sold out! Count me in, again! ;) ;) ;)

That is great. This fight is so silly I could see that happening.:)

Jason
06-15-2017, 05:57 PM
McGregor's only chance is to just go hard from the opinion bell like it is a MMA match and just overwhelm Floyd. It probably won't happen but a big puncher always has a chance. Hopefully he leaves the other strikes/grapples out of the ring.

tiger8mush
06-16-2017, 08:04 AM
McGregor's only chance is to just go hard from the opinion bell like it is a MMA match and just overwhelm Floyd. It probably won't happen but a big puncher always has a chance. Hopefully he leaves the other strikes/grapples out of the ring.

I know little about boxing, but I think this would play right in to what FM would want. Its his MO. Play defense, dance around, wear out the other opponent, strike when he sees an opening.

2nd round KO

D. Bergin
06-16-2017, 08:34 AM
I know little about boxing, but I think this would play right in to what FM would want. Its his MO. Play defense, dance around, wear out the other opponent, strike when he sees an opening.

2nd round KO

True. Mayweather feasts on guys who come right at him. On the other hand Mcgregor sure as hell is not going to outbox him either.

Guy I remember giving him the most trouble way back in 2002 was Jose Luis Castillo, who had a great combination of aggression, power, AND boxing skill.

Only chance Mcgregor really has against even a 40 year-old Floyd is if Mayweather doesn't take this seriously, under-estimates Conor, doesn't train and just comes to the fight cold and expecting to win.........................which is completely not Floyd's M.O..

As flashy as he appears to be, he's similar to Bernard Hopkins in that he's always prepared, always stays on weight, and always, always, always shows up to his fights in shape.

It's possible Floyd's age catches up to him that night, but that's a long shot against this particular opponent.

th38larg
06-16-2017, 09:19 AM
True. Mayweather feasts on guys who come right at him. On the other hand Mcgregor sure as hell is not going to outbox him either.

Guy I remember giving him the most trouble way back in 2002 was Jose Luis Castillo, who had a great combination of aggression, power, AND boxing skill.

Only chance Mcgregor really has against even a 40 year-old Floyd is if Mayweather doesn't take this seriously, under-estimates Conor, doesn't train and just comes to the fight cold and expecting to win.........................which is completely not Floyd's M.O..

As flashy as he appears to be, he's similar to Bernard Hopkins in that he's always prepared, always stays on weight, and always, always, always shows up to his fights in shape.

It's possible Floyd's age catches up to him that night, but that's a long shot against this particular opponent.

+1 Yep thats exactly right. Floyd will be ready as always. I don't know if anyone thinks he "retired," at 49-0 (matching Marciano's record) and wasn't thinking about the next big cashgrab. I think McGregor was the biggest payday he could imagine.

clydepepper
06-16-2017, 09:32 AM
Leon- shouldn't this be on the watercooler?

1952boyntoncollector
06-16-2017, 09:33 AM
If its so obvious that a certain guy will win...why does a fight make so much money..

packs
06-16-2017, 09:41 AM
I felt the same way when Floyd fought Pacman. Did anyone really think Floyd was going to lose?

D. Bergin
06-16-2017, 09:50 AM
If its so obvious that a certain guy will win...why does a fight make so much money..

Novelty, Showmanship, it will be a carnival.

It's entertainment I guess. Same reason people buy movie tickets and pro wrestling PPV's. People want to see what happens, even if it's pre-ordained.

If anything, the press conferences will be highly entertaining at least.

Boxers have gone into MMA and MMA guys have ventured into boxing before..........but this is the first time two top guys at the height of their powers (though not so much for Mayweather anymore), in these two different combat sports, will step in the ring with each other, and people are curious to see it.

Myself, I don't see the point, but it is, what it is. Might be more interesting if Mayweather were fighting Conor MMA style, but likely that would be just as big of a whitewash in the other direction.

samosa4u
06-16-2017, 11:21 AM

LOL! I really enjoyed reading this post. They should actually have a ROYAL RUMBLE featuring boxers, wrestlers and UFC fighters. As soon as the bell rings, everyone is going to start beating the crap out of Mayweather. This will go on for 30 minutes and then he will get thrown out of the ring. In the end, we'll see the Undertaker give Iron Mike Tyson the TOMBSTONE and then Tyson will be thrown out of the ring (with Undertaker's ear still in his mouth).

The winner: The Undertaker!
:: creepy music plays :: dong ... dong ...

PhillipAbbott79
06-16-2017, 04:04 PM

You will likely see this, is my guess. Everyone wanted to see a fight like this the last time, but it never happened. Mayweather will have to adjust to an all out onslaught.

His ability to do so will determine who wins.

PhillipAbbott79
06-16-2017, 04:07 PM
Although, I Certainly do Respect Your Humble Opinion!

Here are some facts to add to the Mcgregor/Diaz Fight Opinion:

Mr. Mcgregor was 5'9" - 74 inch reach
And he agreed to fight at a weight 25 lbs above his Normal Fighting weight of 145 lbs(Fight was at 170 lbs)
Most Fight Guru's say he went to bed that night at about 160-166 lbs

Mr. Diaz was 6'0" - 76 inch reach
He made weight and went to bed that night at 183 lbs
This is his Normal Weight Class

Mr. Diaz was a good 20 lbs heavier
Had a 2 inch reach advantage
And was 3 inches Taller

Mr. Mcgregor fought with about 15 extra lbs
From his Normal Fighting Weight Class

I applaud you for not posting a mixed caps post.

refz
06-17-2017, 05:10 AM
I'll give Mcgregor 5 rounds tops, and has to get Floyd early. Mayweather although I despise him will run laps around Connor. Pure Gimmick

drmondobueno
06-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Hunh, oh, yeah, sorry, I'll take a $50 exacta box in the third at Pimlico, numbers 3,4 and 9. Yeah. Throw in a $200 win on nine. Thanks

bigtrain
06-17-2017, 11:04 AM
I'll give Mcgregor 5 rounds tops, and has to get Floyd early. Mayweather although I despise him will run laps around Connor. Pure Gimmick

Agree. I am no fan of Mayweather but he is going to hit McGregor at will.

Peter_Spaeth
06-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Anyone have a Mayweather RC for sale at a realistic price? The ones on ebay are beyond silly. 10K for a 10 or something like that lol.

As for the fight, it seems an absurd mismatch, one of the very few greatest boxers of all time against a guy who isn't even a boxer. Cmon.

Exhibitman
06-28-2017, 01:46 AM
Onslaught? Puhleeze... Mayweather is one of the best counter punchers and defensive boxers alive. World class boxers who've trained all their lives haven't been able to touch him. He will win every round going away and it will be dullsville

iwantitiwinit
06-28-2017, 06:11 AM
If MacGregor gets back up to 10 to 1 I might have to put a few hundred down playing for a lucky punch.

packs
06-28-2017, 07:12 AM
The only luck you're going to get fighting Mayweather is maybe he'll be sick that day and won't be able to fight.

Huysmans
06-28-2017, 08:08 AM
The only luck you're going to get fighting Mayweather is maybe he'll be sick that day and won't be able to fight.

You probably would have said the same about Tyson before the Buster Douglas fight. While of course the odds favour Mayweather.... ANYTHING can happen.

packs
06-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Well a big difference that jumps out at me between the Douglas fight and this one is that Douglas was a professional boxer.

Huysmans
06-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Well apparently it doesn't "jump out" for most, as the odds are better in McGregor's favour then they were for Douglas.

Peter_Spaeth
06-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Well a big difference that jumps out at me between the Douglas fight and this one is that Douglas was a professional boxer.

And the number one contender at the time, not exactly a fringe professional.

packs
06-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Well apparently it doesn't "jump out" for most, as the odds are better in McGregor's favour then they were for Douglas.

I think most people know that Buster Douglas was a professional boxer and Connor McGregor is not.

Huysmans
06-28-2017, 09:31 AM
I think most people know that Buster Douglas was a professional boxer and Connor McGregor is not.

My point was that McGregor not being a professional boxer has had little to do with the odds/betting. If that fact was actually paramount to most, the odds would be considerably different.

irishdenny
06-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Yeah... Howevar, Conor iS Irish and Has an 845 Pound Punch,
Evar been hit wit a 10 pound sledge hammer going 20mph? :D

At 10-1 odds, Honestly ~ If You were ta bet $100?
Would You Take What Most Feel is a Secure $10 wining's
or
Take the Chance at increasing the $100 to a $1000?

Difference between a T, E, M Beater or a Nice PSA 4 HoF'er!?

("If They Actually Come ta FiGHT!?!?")

"Bombs Away!!!"

I'm Absolutely Certain THaT I'm iN the Minority!
Howevar, I'll Take Irishmen iN 4-6 Rounds...

"If the Fix iS iN!?"
Then who knows what kind of Circus this will turn inta!?

I fir one hope that they come ta Truly Bang it out!!!
We'll See Though Aye...

irishdenny
06-28-2017, 10:55 AM

"THeY" ALL Said Almost the Same Ting About "Gentlemen Jim Corbett"
Possible Beating John L Sullivan...

McGregor has been Working & Training... And He's 27
Mr. Floyd hasn't been Punch'd in 2 years... And He's 40+!

I'm older than both of'em,
So I know what it's like ta be a Healthy 27
and an Older 40...

"Just Keepin it Real!?"

packs
06-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Yeah but that's ignoring the fact that literally no one has ever beat Mayweather in his sport. McGrgegor has lost fights in his own sport.

Peter_Spaeth
06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Hope springs eternal for people who love upsets. While anything is possible, it is extremely unrealistic to think an MMA guy is going to beat the man who may be the world's best boxer ever. Even if he is 40. There is not one rational reason you could name that says he has a chance, assuming it isn't fixed and assuming Mayweather trains seriously.

Leon
06-28-2017, 12:05 PM
I agree. And if the tables were turned and they were in the octagon the same thing would happen, only to Mayweather. That said, stranger things have happened...

Hope springs eternal for people who love upsets. While anything is possible, it is extremely unrealistic to think an MMA guy is going to beat the man who may be the world's best boxer ever. Even if he is 40. There is not one rational reason you could name that says he has a chance, assuming it isn't fixed and assuming Mayweather trains seriously.

D. Bergin
06-28-2017, 05:38 PM

It's all name recognition. There was no hype leading into the Tyson / Douglas bout. Most didn't really know who he was at the time, and those deep in the sport who did, saw him as a talented boxer who had for the most part under-achieved in his career up until that point.

Odds in combat sports can be swayed by regional and popularity bias's. Years ago Bernard Hopkins was an underdog to Felix Trinidad. An idea that was kind of absurd to hardcore boxing fans, and in hindsight even more absurd........ but Trinidad had the bigger name and the bigger following at the time, which drove the betting.

Casual fans thought it was a huge upset when it happened. I was at a fight party and one guy declared it "up there with Tyson / Douglas", and I just shook my head. LOL!

Exhibitman
06-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Corbett was a tough as nails guy and a quality boxer at the peak of his skills who'd fought his way up the Pacific coast defeating fellow HOFers along the way. Sullivan was an alcohol addled shot fighter forced to use gloves after a bare knuckled career who had to go to camp to dry out. It isn't a good comparison.

Mayweather is always in shape and hasn't been seriously threatened in years. Connor will find that an elite professional boxer not only will weave rings around him but also hits very hard. I'd guess that he's never dealt with anything near that caliber of striker before in a ring. Plus he will have to chase Mayweather and that's not a game he's played before.

Snapolit1
06-29-2017, 08:44 AM
Man. . . not to be the board police for day . . . .but shouldn't this be on the Watercooler board for general sports chat. Seems like this is exactly what that other board is for.
OK, I'm now retired as board cop.

CrackaJackKid
08-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Call me crazy but I'm betting on Mcgregor tonight!!!

Big Six
08-26-2017, 05:17 PM
Come on McGregor!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bxb
08-26-2017, 06:22 PM
I would be surprised in McGregor lasts more than one minute, unless Mayweather deliberately extends it.

Bored5000
08-26-2017, 06:25 PM
I don't understand the betting action for this fight at all. :confused: At some Vegas sports books, Mayweather has been bet down to just a 5-1 favorite. I know bettors should always be wary when something looks too easy, but how is betting on Mayweather here not free money? How is Mayweather not a 40 or 50 to 1 favorite here? The Tyson-Douglas fight was famously 42-1 -- if you could find a place to take action on the fight -- and Douglas was at least an actual boxer.

That being said, multiple bets of $1 million or more were put down on Mayweather in Vegas on Thursday, including a $1.2 million bet at -500. Even with the $1.2 million bet on Mayweather, William Hill's Nevada sports book still faces a seven-figure liability overall if McGregor wins.

I don't get the public betting the fight down to 5-1 odds on a non boxer. :confused:

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/20448655/1-million-bets-come-floyd-mayweather-ahead-conor-mcgregor-showdown

bnorth
08-26-2017, 06:32 PM
I don't understand the betting action for this fight at all. :confused: At some Vegas sports books, Mayweather has been bet down to just a 5-1 favorite. I know bettors should always be wary when something looks too easy, but how is betting on Mayweather here not free money? How is Mayweather not a 40 or 50 to 1 favorite here? The Tyson-Douglas fight was famously 42-1 -- if you could find a place to take action on the fight -- and Douglas was at least an actual boxer.

That being said, multiple bets of $1 million or more were put down on Mayweather in Vegas on Thursday, including a $1.2 million bet at -500. Even with the $1.2 million bet on Mayweather, William Hill's Nevada sports book still faces a seven-figure liability overall if McGregor wins.

I don't get the public betting the fight down to 5-1 odds on a non boxer. :confused:

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/20448655/1-million-bets-come-floyd-mayweather-ahead-conor-mcgregor-showdown

The odds when first posted are what they feel is the chance of a fighter winning. All odds after that only reflect how people are betting. Odds are changed to insure the bookies make money and no longer have anything to do with who they think will win.

Bored5000
08-26-2017, 06:40 PM
The odds when first posted are what they feel is the chance of a fighter winning. All odds after that only reflect how people are betting. Odds are changed to insure the bookies make money and no longer have anything to do with who they think will win.

Oh, I completely understand how a betting line works, and that equal money on each side means that the bookmaker wins either way.

I guees I should have been more clear and said that I don't understand why the public has bet the fight down to 5-1 odds. Betting on a non-boxer against a top-notch pro (even one that is 40 years old) seems like lighting money on fire.

Leon
08-27-2017, 04:05 PM
It was a good fight. I am surprised it went as long as it did.

Peter_Spaeth
08-27-2017, 08:16 PM
It was a good fight. I am surprised it went as long as it did.

Only because Mayweather didn't feel like ending it earlier, or was told not to.

clydepepper
08-27-2017, 09:02 PM
If he had been facing a woman, it would have been over much quicker.

...or, at least that's his track record.

...and this thread should be on the water cooler

-

packs
08-28-2017, 07:50 AM
Mayweather is a showman and I can only guess he wanted people to feel like they got their money's worth in his last fight. Otherwise there was no reason for it to go on as long as it did. Once Mayweather got into gear it was obvious he was going to destroy McGregor. He beat him pretty easily once he turned it on.

Forever Young
08-28-2017, 07:57 AM
Mayweather is a showman and I can only guess he wanted people to feel like they got their money's worth in his last fight. Otherwise there was no reason for it to go on as long as it did. Once Mayweather got into gear it was obvious he was going to destroy McGregor. He beat him pretty easily once he turned it on.

Agreed mostly. However, there was a chance he could have got tagged/knocked out early on before mcgreggor punched himself out if he was as aggressive early on. If fact, he did get caught with a couple even playing it safe/defensive . I think k he played it perfectly.

JustinD
08-28-2017, 07:57 AM

I think a younger Mayweather would have made this a one round affair.

I have my doubts that he purposefully drug it out too long, it was ended when he felt that McGregor was sufficiently worn to avoid any surprise hits if he went on the attack. He was playing it safe to protect himself and the upset. It was a wise move for a 40 year old man who had not fought in 2 years.

Age is unavoidable, the punch stats showed that the greatest defensive boxer of all time is allowed to get old.

packs
08-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Floyd had only been knocked down once in his whole career and it was more or less a slip and fall that didn't get ruled as one. McGregor had no hope of knocking Floyd out. There was never going to be a one punch or lucky punch or anything like that.

JustinD
08-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Floyd had only been knocked down once in his whole career and it was more or less a slip and fall that didn't get ruled as one. McGregor had no hope of knocking Floyd out. There was never going to be a one punch or lucky punch or anything like that.

Lucky punches are a myth, however if you have never watched before I suggest you watch the Walcott/Marciano fight if you want to see someone get destroyed and then come back with one of the most iconic knockouts in boxing to win.

Ask Tyson what happens when you come in unprepared to fight a gimme.

Mayweather showed his age and he luckily fought someone with very little technical skill. If he had come back to fight anyone in the top 10 he would have been destroyed.

I am happy to see him hang it up after a Globetrotters/ Rocky-Thunderlips type fight. I am hoping he keeps his word and does not drag it out.

As a boxing fan I was worried about this because if he did not take it serious and let the Buster Douglas type upset happen it would have been devastating to the future of boxing. Already with the money in professional sports keeping american blood out of the heavyweight ranks, the last thing we need is the lights and welters losing viewers to people moving to the MMA because they think its better. This was instead a great way to bring in a youthful viewership.

packs
08-28-2017, 10:01 AM
You bring up Walcott / Marciano and Buster Douglas, but those guys were professional boxers and number 1 contenders / champions. They shar enothing in common with McGregor. He had no hope.

Peter_Spaeth
08-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Buster Douglas was the number one contender for the heavyweight crown. BIG difference.

Peter_Spaeth
08-28-2017, 10:04 AM
Maybe they should arrange for the putt putt champion to take on Jordan Spieth. How about Serena vs. Nadal?

JustinD
08-28-2017, 11:49 AM
You bring up Walcott / Marciano and Buster Douglas, but those guys were professional boxers and number 1 contenders / champions. They shar enothing in common with McGregor. He had no hope.

Buster Douglas was not the number one contender in any organisation. Holyfield was the unanimous number one and Douglas while in the top five (and ranked 7th by The Ring) was considered easy and running from Holyfield.

But no matter, I guess it means nothing because a world champion fighter in his prime stands no chance in hell of possibly upsetting a 40 year old boxer who has not fought in years.

Also, LeBron wouldn't stand a chance possibly of out catching Jerry Rice on a route tomorrow.

I would not have bet a red cent on McGregor because, yes he had a chance in hell. But he had a chance and it was all on Mayweather and his drive to conditioning.

If some oaf like Butterbean can go a full ten with Holmes, there was a chance.

Final words on that...I'm done.

packs
08-28-2017, 12:19 PM
Even Butterbean was a professional boxer though. Have you ever watched him box Bart Gunn, WWF wrestler? He almost killed him.

Dpeck100
08-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Even Butterbean was a professional boxer though. Have you ever watched him box Bart Gunn, WWF wrestler? He almost killed him.

Bart Gunn was a total bad ass.

If I recall it was a one punch devastation.

On a side note I have been checking to see if any offers have been made on the Mayweather at $3,100 and none so far.

As someone who owns a copy in a PSA 10 I find it hard to believe 3k is where this settles. I would be thrilled if it stabilizes at $1,500.

samosa4u
08-28-2017, 01:14 PM
All of this was a walk in the park for Mayweather. Did you see how he smiled at the camera? I just shake my head thinking about all the fools who threw their money at these guys - did you think McGregor stood a chance? He was fighting like a cat - what a joke the whole thing was! I would have loved to have seen Mayweather vs. GGG or Keith Thurman. I just hope we never see anything like this again.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/SQudKvrwDAU/maxresdefault.jpg

Peter_Spaeth
08-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Bart Gunn was a total bad ass.

If I recall it was a one punch devastation.

On a side note I have been checking to see if any offers have been made on the Mayweather at $3,100 and none so far.

As someone who owns a copy in a PSA 10 I find it hard to believe 3k is where this settles. I would be thrilled if it stabilizes at $1,500.

I don't expect that card will sell anywhere close to 3K despite the underbidder in PWCC supposedly bidding that. Funny he hasn't snapped it up yet if that bidding was for real and not two guys trying to pump up the market as we have seen so many times before in that venue. Based on the one selling for 900 just the other night (with a win over Conor essentially inevitable), and a BGS 9.5 going for 600 or so just a couple of nights before that, I think low 1000s is about right for this card, and 1500 would be strong indeed. I want one but certainly not buying into the present market.

Exhibitman
08-28-2017, 01:39 PM
The cats have better technique than MacGregor...

I watched Cotto-Kamegai instead, for no added cost on HBO, and was very pleased I did.

I think FMJ carried the fight in the first few rounds to let MacGregor wear himself out. Apparently, Floyd Sr. said something in the corner about "fourth round" and Jr. turned it on at that point. I watched on Youtube today and it was apparent that MacGregor, while able to take a hell of a beating, was way out of his depth. It was a sloppy pig of a bout, not at all technically proficient, with a ton of fouls. The stoppage was proper; I counted 16 unanswered punches (not all landed) before the stoppage.

Big Six
08-28-2017, 02:00 PM
I haven't watched a fight since Tyson nibbled Holyfield...I enjoyed this fight. I see NO Reason why Mayweather let this thing go 10 rounds. Each passing round, he danced more closely with the devil. In hindsight, if McGregor saved his energy for rounds 10-12, he could have won. mayweather's game plan worked...and boxing took a credibility hit by this going as long as it did. I'd go so far as to say McGregor could win a rematch with this experience under his belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth
08-28-2017, 02:04 PM
I haven't watched a fight since Tyson nibbled Holyfield...I enjoyed this fight. I see NO Reason why Mayweather let this thing go 10 rounds. Each passing round, he danced more closely with the devil. In hindsight, if McGregor saved his energy for rounds 10-12, he could have won. mayweather's game plan worked...and boxing took a credibility hit by this going as long as it did. I'd go so far as to say McGregor could win a rematch with this experience under his belt.

I could not disagree more. Floyd was never in the remotest danger. 49 professionals barely laid a glove on him, do you think this amateur really could have? Please. This was a boxing match, not a street fight.

Big Six
08-28-2017, 02:07 PM
I could not disagree more. Floyd was never in the remotest danger. 49 professionals barely laid a glove on him, do you think this amateur really could have? Please. This was a boxing match, not a street fight.

That's all good...no idea why the fight had to go so long then...regardless, I enjoyed the bout and my opinion of McGregor rose. Guess you wouldn't agree that the ref called the fight to quick? If I'm McGregor, knock me out...oh well.

Peter_Spaeth
08-28-2017, 02:13 PM
That's all good...no idea why the fight had to go so long then...regardless, I enjoyed the bout and my opinion of McGregor rose. Guess you wouldn't agree that the ref called the fight to quick? If I'm McGregor, knock me out...oh well.

Guys who are defenseless are at risk of serious injury, it was correct to stop it. I think Mayweather probably was told not to end it too quickly for commercial reasons. Also, he may have actually been enjoying himself and was content to linger a few extra rounds in his last ring appearance. With the difference in ring experience and intelligence, hand speed, and punching power, this was not a real contest IMO.

packs
08-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Bring on GGG vs Canelo already. No one is even talking about it. Now THAT'S a super fight.

Snapolit1
08-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Guys who are defenseless are at risk of serious injury, it was correct to stop it. I think Mayweather probably was told not to end it too quickly for commercial reasons. Also, he may have actually been enjoying himself and was content to linger a few extra rounds in his last ring appearance. With the difference in ring experience and intelligence, hand speed, and punching power, this was not a real contest IMO.

Disagree, and have a little bit of amateur boxing experience myself. This was a real fight. I am not saying that I doubted for a minute than Mayweather would prevail, but the idea that he dragged this along for extra rounds for commercial reasons is ridiculous. Macgregor had a very effective jab. Didn't have much of a power punch. But he threw and landed a decent number of punches. And they were not the type of punches of the angles Mayweather is used to seeing. He is a marvelous defensive fighter but this was not what he has spent his career defending against. I think Mayweather was actually quite surprised to get punched in the face more than a few times. I think he realized Macgregor would run out of gas in about the 7th round and he backed off a bit and this is exactly what happened. But he wasn't doing it for commercial reasons. Last fight of his career. Would have knocked him out in the first round if he wanted to go off in a blaze of glory.

felada
08-28-2017, 03:56 PM
No he was doing it because he placed a rather large bet on himself to win in the tenth round

Disagree, and have a little bit of amateur boxing experience myself. This was a real fight. I am not saying that I doubted for a minute than Mayweather would prevail, but the idea that he dragged this along for extra rounds for commercial reasons is ridiculous. Macgregor had a very effective jab. Didn't have much of a power punch. But he threw and landed a decent number of punches. And they were not the type of punches of the angles Mayweather is used to seeing. He is a marvelous defensive fighter but this was not what he has spent his career defending against. I think Mayweather was actually quite surprised to get punched in the face more than a few times. I think he realized Macgregor would run out of gas in about the 7th round and he backed off a bit and this is exactly what happened. But he wasn't doing it for commercial reasons. Last fight of his career. Would have knocked him out in the first round if he wanted to go off in a blaze of glory.

Peter_Spaeth
08-28-2017, 04:04 PM

It's one thing to hit a man, another to hit him with a punch with anything behind it. I still think he chose the round. This was a win win. Floyd got his victory, MacGregor got respect for fighting what superficially looked like a decent fight, the fans and network got a reasonably long bout.

Big Six
08-29-2017, 07:50 AM

I saw the fight you just described!!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bnorth
08-29-2017, 09:17 AM
This is what I watched.I watched a 40 year old with a plan hit a young man in his prime at will. Floyd had a game plan and executed it perfectly on someone with almost no boxing skill.

z28jd
08-29-2017, 09:48 AM
It sounds like many people here enjoyed the fight. I thought it was complete garbage and should have been over much sooner. This was a sham, not a legit fight. MacGregor was constantly leaning in and leaving his chin open on weak jabs. Any offensive fighter would have ended it in the first round. I found nothing enjoyable about the fight except the stoppage. I haven't watched boxing in years because it's completely corrupt and nonsense like this happens, but if I paid for something like that "fight", I'd want my money back.

Peter_Spaeth
08-29-2017, 09:53 AM
I just read an analysis that asked the question, why did it take Mayweather so long to end it, and concluded, because he wanted it to. I honestly don't know what other people are seeing here if they think it was at all competitive or even legit. Nevada never should have sanctioned this fight in the first place, but I am sure with so much potential revenue at stake from the spectacle pressure was brought to bear.

bnorth
08-29-2017, 10:03 AM
I just read an analysis that asked the question, why did it take Mayweather so long to end it, and concluded, because he wanted it to. I honestly don't know what other people are seeing here if they think it was at all competitive or even legit. Nevada never should have sanctioned this fight in the first place, but I am sure with so much potential revenue at stake from the spectacle pressure was brought to bear.

In my opinion it went so long because that was Floyds plan. Why take any chances when you don't have to. Conor is known for gassing, Floyd waited for it and then stopped the fight.

I agree that the Nevada Athletic Commission should have never let someone with almost no boxing skill at all get in the ring with a real professional. This fight(LOL) was all about the cash.

rayray
08-29-2017, 10:05 AM
It seems like cardio got the best out of Conor. Floyd is in tremendous shape (even at 40) and knows what it takes to go the distance. Unfortunately for Conor, his inexperience as an 0-0 professional boxer caused him to burn out sooner then he would've liked. Other than that, I thought it was an entertaining fight from both fighters. And as a boxing fan, I have to give Conor respect for lasting as long as he did and not being completely outclassed the way many experts originally predicted.

Peter_Spaeth
08-29-2017, 10:19 AM
It seems like cardio got the best out of Conor. Floyd is in tremendous shape (even at 40) and knows what it takes to go the distance. Unfortunately for Conor, his inexperience as an 0-0 professional boxer caused him to burn out sooner then he would've liked. Other than that, I thought it was an entertaining fight from both fighters. And as a boxing fan, I have to give Conor respect for lasting as long as he did and not being completely outclassed the way many experts originally predicted.

I think what got the best out of Conor was that his skill level, hand speed and punching power were (as was obvious going in) completely inferior to Floyd's.

Dpeck100
08-29-2017, 11:34 AM
I think what got the best out of Conor was that his skill level, hand speed and punching power were (as was obvious going in) completely inferior to Floyd's.

From my vantage point I think everyone comes out looking good. McGregor lasted a good amount of time. Mayweather avoided the upset and finished him. Both made a ton of money. The public seems to have enjoyed the fight and the lead up.

Mayweather cemented his legacy going undefeated. McGregor can return to MMA where he can use his arsenal with no damage done to his reputation.

I think the bigger issue is that MMA is at real cross roads. There are very few stars left and because the win loss records matter and the competition is so tough it is hard to create them. The use of performance enhancing drugs is an epidemic in the sport and I think popularity is waning. I used to never miss a PPV but can't recall the last one I bought. The Fertita brothers seemed to have sold at the perfect time.

Snapolit1
08-29-2017, 11:40 AM
First boxing match many young people ever watched. My 17 yr old was riveted. Problem with MMA is the fights often are over in the blink of an eye. You can't match the drama of a 10 or 12 round boxing match.

From my vantage point I think everyone comes out looking good. McGregor lasted a good amount of time. Mayweather avoided the upset and finished him. Both made a ton of money. The public seems to have enjoyed the fight and the lead up.

Mayweather cemented his legacy going undefeated. McGregor can return to MMA where he can use his arsenal with no damage done to his reputation.

I think the bigger issue is that MMA is at real cross roads. There are very few stars left and because the win loss records matter and the competition is so tough it is hard to create them. The use of performance enhancing drugs is an epidemic in the sport and I think popularity is waning. I used to never miss a PPV but can't recall the last one I bought. The Fertita brothers seemed to have sold at the perfect time.

Peter_Spaeth
08-29-2017, 01:42 PM

I agree with all that, my only objection from an admitted purist/snob perspective is to anyone who considered it a real fight. It wasn't. I am sure it went pretty much according to the plan you outlined above.

Dpeck100
09-01-2017, 05:12 AM
I see one of the copies that was recently listed just sold for 2k. Solid price.

bnorth
09-01-2017, 06:08 AM
I see one of the copies that was recently listed just sold for 2k. Solid price.

2k, is that for one of the Topps Now cards they put out with Floyd's autograph?

I see now they are talking about doing a 3rd mma match with Nate Diaz and Conor. I wonder if they are going to do it at the 155lb weight class they both really fight at. I hope it is not another catch weight fight so they get casual fans to believe the BS that Nate is a much bigger fighter. All the hype surrounding Conor is as bad as the WWF. You do gotta give a guy with no boxing skill props for BSing his way into the most viewed fight in history though.

Dpeck100
09-01-2017, 06:28 AM
2k for a 1997 Brown's Boxing PSA 10.

Peter_Spaeth
09-01-2017, 07:28 AM
2k, is that for one of the Topps Now cards they put out with Floyd's autograph?

I see now they are talking about doing a 3rd mma match with Nate Diaz and Conor. I wonder if they are going to do it at the 155lb weight class they both really fight at. I hope it is not another catch weight fight so they get casual fans to believe the BS that Nate is a much bigger fighter. All the hype surrounding Conor is as bad as the WWF. You do gotta give a guy with no boxing skill props for BSing his way into the most viewed fight in history though.

Far more people love a spectacle than love a boxing match, it seems. And both men did a good job playing along and hyping it.

Snapolit1
09-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Mike Tyson thinks Macgregor deserves an A+ for the fight and should keep boxing, but folks on this board think he was a total bust. Oh well, opinions are like [FILL IN THE BLANK] as they say. Everyone's got one.

Forever Young
09-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Mike Tyson thinks Macgregor deserves an A+ for the fight and should keep boxing, but folks on this board think he was a total bust. Oh well, opinions are like [FILL IN THE BLANK] as they say. Everyone's got one.

:) awesome. Everyone is a genius Steve.. duh....

OsFan
09-01-2017, 10:18 AM
Bring on GGG vs Canelo already. No one is even talking about it. Now THAT'S a super fight.

Boxing has no idea how to promote their own fights. Hopefully it's learned a thing or two from working with UFC promotions.