PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

SMPEP
06-14-2017, 08:02 PM
So a big Ebay Dealer (not our dear friends Probstein, PWCC, or Battelefield) just totally lied to me about the condition of a lot of about 150 cards he sold.

He sold them as "Nice" and "vgex/good", but when I got them many had paper loss, and not a single one didn't have a crease. At best it's a good lot on average. Not only that but his photo cherry picked the three best cards in the lot and didn't show other photos (intentionally deception or just an accident?). Then when I complained he mocked me for not being satisfied with the bargain I got.

In truth, he is right on that. I did get a bargain (I paid under 4% of book value). I can easily resell these at a profit (around $50 after fees)

So what would you do:

1) Return the lot to the dealer for a refund (and eat the return shipping charges),

2) resell the lot on Ebay/Net54 but with better disclosure of the condition - and take the $50 profit; or

3) resell the lot on Net54, with a link to the lot I won, and the price I paid, and with the dealer's full name ... and then post pictures of what he sent. Obviously no one would give me a profit at that point since they'd know exactly what I paid - so I'd hope to just get my money back.

So what would you do? I'm kinda inclined to let the market decide.

Cheers,
Patrick

bnorth
06-14-2017, 08:20 PM
I can tell you what I done with almost the exact same situation. Leave a negative(my only one) and never under any circumstance buy from them again. It was Kruk Cards that screwed me. They also acted like an ass when I pointed out that they lied in their listing.

I kept the cards. Like you even though they lied in the description the lot was still worth more than I paid for it.

JollyElm
06-14-2017, 08:26 PM
If you return the cards, then it is very likely he's going to sell them again at a (much?) higher price. So returning them (at your loss of return postage) only benefits him and his douchebaggy ways. If you can definitely profit on the lot through an honest sale (including accurate pics and descriptions), then do that. No question.

ValKehl
06-14-2017, 09:44 PM
I would look to return the cards at the seller's expense and obtain a refund of the price I paid plus the shipping I paid. If the seller balked, I'd file a case with eBay based on the cards not being as described.

savedfrommyspokes
06-15-2017, 06:31 AM
In my ebay experience, there is only one seller on ebay who matches up to this scenario.....previous similar feedback seems to not deter bidders (I was guilty of the same once).

Whether or not this is the same seller I had a similar experience with, I would recommend the following:

Since there is no guarantee you could break even reselling, as previously mentioned, I would open a not as described case through ebay. Then wait the 7 days (because there will be no response), escalate the case and request a return s/h label(so you do not have to return at your cost). Once the lot is received back, contact ebay again to get your refund.

Zach Wheat
06-15-2017, 07:03 AM
.....If you can definitely profit on the lot through an honest sale (including accurate pics and descriptions), then do that. No question.

Scott,

In general I agree with Darren. I would also add that I would not do business with him again.

Z

DBesse27
06-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Scott,

In general I agree with Darren. I would also add that I would not do business with him again.

I agree as well.

bobsbbcards
06-15-2017, 07:48 AM
I would open a not as described case through ebay. Then wait the 7 days (because there will be no response), escalate the case and request a return s/h label(so you do not have to return at your cost). Once the lot is received back, contact ebay again to get your refund.

+1

JTysver
06-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Not sure what the complaint really is if you got them at 4% book. In the "too good to be true" category, I think this fits the bill.
There are opportunities to ask the seller about the cards prior to the sale. With the price on these being way better than the condition said they were, I would have asked to see more pics or more info on the cards. Especially since it was a common dealer who had experience at this. I would have looked at his previous feedback. Often, I'll find someone selling antique lamps etc. who may ask for a low price on old cards. That isn't this seller.

What people often don't realize is some of these dealers are putting up listings and selling consignment lots as per the real seller at a high volume pace. They are going to get some wrong. Hell, I do minimal selling and I get some wrong.

You got a good deal as it is. I'd offer them for sale on Net54. There are plenty of people who would be happy to buy the cards as they may help them complete their set.
Sell them for what you have into them if you want to sell them fast, or sell them for a profit and it will have been worth it.
Chances are, it was a mistake rather than the seller trying to rip someone off.

SMPEP
06-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Jay - the issue (to me) isn't the deal, it's the seller's business practices. He was intentionally deceptive showing the three best cards only. And when I asked him about a refund, he was at best condescending and unprofessional.

But as I look at the poll (and by the way, I informed the seller it was going on and encouraged him to vote), there's a clear majority for keeping a reselling at a profit.

So, I said I'd let the market place decide ... and I will.

Thanks to all who voted!
Patrick

Ps - I agree with Darren completely. If I returned them, it would be doing this guy a favor because he could certainly sell them to the next person at a higher price - which is probably the best reason not to return them.

KCRfan1
06-15-2017, 10:04 AM
Patrick -

Depending on what you paid for the cards, and potential profit you may realize from selling them, you're probably best to leave negative feedback and sell the cards.

Your time is worth something, and rather than going back and forth with the seller and eBay, you could be off to something else.

I understand doing things on " principle " and ethics, but it is what it is and may not be worth the run around.

Bcwcardz
06-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Most " dealers" are rude and could give a crap less because they will just sell it to someone else. They dont care if they get repeat customers. The best transactions are always with private party deals where the guy is just a collector like myself. Thats just the nature of this hobby. It was the same 30 years ago too for the most part. It seems like all the nice guys went out of business because they wouldnt screw people over or cherry pick everything.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Rookiemonster
06-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Had a similar experience recently. I bought a card that had creasing in it but the seller did not say it was creases. He had his own description of the what Good to vg was as well.

I did not return it because I don't need to run chores for someone else. I have to go to the post office on my day off and then wait to see how the sellers reacts when he receives it. I'm not getting reimbursed for my time and effort. So I kept the card. It's was a 13 dollar card so for me it's not worth the hassle. The seller should just send me a small refund. I mean buy the time it sells again and you pay me for return shipping and the ship it again pay eBay fees , what left in profit for the seller? Idk I've been getting burned on both ends recently on eBay.

Rrrlyons
06-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Patrick
My take is as you put it the price reflects or still under the actual grade I think that says a lot. I'm just a collector and for 40 years so I should be able to put a grade on cards as best as anyone but in all the years of trading I have never put a grade on anything even trading with you. I always send pictures and describe the flaws and let the other person decide the grade for themselves. Everyone still grades cards a little differently I look more at the price to see if it reflects the grade I see. What you are describing is some deception but ultimately if the price is accurate I don't see even leaving negative feedback as some suggested.
I say move on and do whatever you want with the cards. Rick

PS. On the other hand by what your saying some people could say you were only going to be happy because you thought you got a great deal. I wish I could make a profit on every deal I've made.:)

SMPEP
06-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Well, I think we have a sufficient quorum of votes ... and the majority says kept it, sell it and move on.

And that's what I'll do.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised the reveal the seller option didn't gain more traction. I thought that would be the most popular choice - because after all, the voters would learn the identity of the seller and have more information for future purchases. I was actually afraid the poll was biased and unfair to the original seller, but that was the least popular option. Very interesting.

Thanks to all who voted!
Patrick

drmondobueno
06-21-2017, 12:35 AM
Well, I think we have a sufficient quorum of votes ... and the majority says kept it, sell it and move on.

And that's what I'll do.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised the reveal the seller option didn't gain more traction. I thought that would be the most popular choice - because after all, the voters would learn the identity of the seller and have more information for future purchases. I was actually afraid the poll was biased and unfair to the original seller, but that was the least popular option. Very interesting.

Thanks to all who voted!
Patrick

Why wait for a quorum on outing the seller? Out the seller. Period.