PDA

View Full Version : PSA getting tougher on factory miscuts / diamond cuts?

swarmee
06-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Just submitted this 1978 OPC Eddie Murray RC to PSA and is getting sent back Miscut, not graded.

https://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/1978/O-Pee-Chee---Base/154/Eddie-Murray.jpg?id=2490eb2b-2037-4aaf-8f5c-6d8ceac197d2&size=zoom
https://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/1978/O-Pee-Chee---Base/154/Eddie-Murray.jpg?id=2490eb2b-2037-4aaf-8f5c-6d8ceac197d2&size=zoom&side=back

I've also submitted about 27 T121 Sweet Caporal World War I cards in the past year and five have been returned as factory miscuts. I've only been doing the PSA grading thing for three years. Did this use to be common?
I guess I'll send them all back in and see if I get a number grade the second time. My 1973 OPC Schmidt RC came back MINSIZ. Will have to measure it this time and send it back in if it's the right size.

clydepepper
06-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Would someone please remind me what a diamond cut is?

"Indulging someone else's ignorance perpetuates your own personal class."

- except in traffic, of course.

JollyElm
06-09-2017, 06:47 PM

If you look at the Murray card above, it seems as if the top of the picture itself was slightly tilted to the right, as the white background remained constant, so the upper left and lower right corners of the picture are significantly further away from the edge of the card. Hence, it appears somewhat diamond shaped.

swarmee
06-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Diamond cut is also referred to as tilt; normally the card is the right size (2.5"x3.5"), but the image on the card slants like this one does. You can see the left border gets larger as you look from the bottom to the top of this card.

clydepepper
06-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Sharper eyes than mine...that's for sure.

Thanks

irv
06-09-2017, 07:24 PM

"Indulging someone else's ignorance perpetuates your own personal class."
- except in traffic, of course.

I had to look this up a while ago too.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=135892

swarmee
06-09-2017, 07:40 PM
What would you guys grade this card? I was expecting a 7-8 grade. The rough edges are traditional to OPC cards of this era and are not normally downgraded.

MikeGarcia
06-09-2017, 07:48 PM

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/2042957/view/1952NIPPY_NEW.JPG

MW1
06-09-2017, 08:40 PM
A "diamond cut" card is one where the inner picture window is rotated relative to the borders. A miscut card is one where opposing sides are not parallel to each other. The two terms are not interchangeable, although many (including some graders from major grading services) use them incorrectly.

In this case, I have to agree with PSA. The Murray is indeed miscut. This is particularly noticeable along the right and left sides of the bottom 10 to 15% of the card.

murphy8276
06-11-2017, 08:14 AM
I would treat it as a rinse and repeat almost like a minsizerq. I think an 8 is possible since OPC. Topps I wouldn't go above 7, just my opinion.

swarmee
06-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Thanks; since they don't charge submission fees for either MINSIZREQ or Miscut, I'll keep trying. After 2 more times, I'll probably go BVG.

Zact
06-11-2017, 04:53 PM
A diamond cut is not the same as tilt. Tilt is when the image within a rectangular card is angled. A diamond cut is a type of miscut - the card is a parallelogram or rhombus shape with parallel borders. The ops exemplar I believe is a true miscut not diamond cut- the vertical edges flare out towards the bottom therefore the card is wider on the bottom than the top and the sides are not parallel.

Steve D
06-12-2017, 05:48 PM
A diamond cut is not the same as tilt. Tilt is when the image within a rectangular card is angled. A diamond cut is a type of miscut - the card is a parallelogram or rhombus shape with parallel borders. The ops exemplar I believe is a true miscut not diamond cut- the vertical edges flare out towards the bottom therefore the card is wider on the bottom than the top and the sides are not parallel.

Correct.

With a "diamond cut", the top and bottom edges are parallel with each other, and the left and right edges are parallel with each other, but the corners do not come to 90 degree angles. With the posted OPC Eddie Murray, it appears that the left and right edges are not parallel with each other, meaning the card is properly termed "miscut".

The 1952 Topps Nippy Jones posted above is not a 'diamond cut" as the corners are 90 degree angles. The image is simply tilted.

Steve