PDA

View Full Version : eBay scammer

itjclarke
06-07-2017, 01:44 AM
I had mixed feelings about opening another negative eBay thread, but wanted to warn the board about this low life- "c-and-l-sports-cards".

Below is a link to the listing he duped me on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122437061914?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

The seller listed the item on eBay, and then successfully lured me to complete the the deal off line, after responding to my eBay best offer. I had reservations, not knowing him, seeing he had some bad feedback, and I should have known better, but I decided to give it a shot when he agreed to allow me to pay 50% down, 50% at receipt.

It started to go south immediately after paying the first 50%, when he told me his "partner" requested I send the 2nd 50%, because they had been recently "ripped off". He offered me a refund with a 10% "restocking fee", but I stupidly did not accept that smaller loss and sent the 2nd 50% (fingers crossed). He said he sent the card, but never provided a tracking number, and has since played dumb. It is clear this was all a scam. I've reported him twice to eBay to at least try and get him suspended, but as of today, his account is still active.

Lesson learned for me, and luckily it was for an amount I could just "eat". I'd advise anyone else to steer clear of this a-hole.

Jim65
06-07-2017, 03:27 AM
Sorry you got ripped off.

I get offered off EBay deals a lot and I never do them, no matter how good a sellers feedback is.

Rookiemonster
06-07-2017, 06:20 AM
There is some real scum on the bay nowa days. Sorry and hope it works out some how.

samosa4u
06-07-2017, 10:05 AM
If you sent him the payments through Paypal, then you can open a dispute on the Paypal website. Paypal will ask the seller for the tracking information, and if he can't provide it, then you will get your money back. If you paid by Western Union, money order, etc. then there is nothing you can do to get your money back.

megalimey
06-07-2017, 10:16 AM
I had mixed feelings about opening another negative eBay thread, but wanted to warn the board about this low life- "c-and-l-sports-cards".

Below is a link to the listing he duped me on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122437061914?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

The seller listed the item on eBay, and then successfully lured me to complete the the deal off line, after responding to my eBay best offer. I had reservations, not knowing him, seeing he had some bad feedback, and I should have known better, but I decided to give it a shot when he agreed to allow me to pay 50% down, 50% at receipt.

It started to go south immediately after paying the first 50%, when he told me his "partner" requested I send the 2nd 50%, because they had been recently "ripped off". He offered me a refund with a 10% "restocking fee", but I stupidly did not accept that smaller loss and sent the 2nd 50% (fingers crossed). He said he sent the card, but never provided a tracking number, and has since played dumb. It is clear this was all a scam. I've reported him twice to eBay to at least try and get him suspended, but as of today, his account is still active.

Lesson learned for me, and luckily it was for an amount I could just "eat". I'd advise anyone else to steer clear of this a-hole.
the guy has 6 very bad negative feedbacks no way i am buying anything from this dude , hopefully you did not give a gift payment , reporting to ebay is not going to work especially as you did an off ebay purchase

I know the horse has bolted at this point , but looking at a sellers feedback can give you a better idea of character Negatives are never a good sign

clydepepper
06-07-2017, 11:08 AM
the guy has 6 very bad negative feedbacks no way i am buying anything from this dude , hopefully you did not give a gift payment , reporting to ebay is not going to work especially as you did an off ebay purchase

I know the horse has bolted at this point , but looking at a sellers feedback can give you a better idea of character Negatives are never a good sign

+1

- also, I try not to deal with anyone who has so few ( 81 ) ebay transactions with any kind of feedback. Let someone else help them establish their track record as a seller.

itjclarke
06-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Appreciate feedback, though all, do know I take full blame here. I saw red flags but decided to roll the dice. Had it been a little bit more and/or had I not been playing with fantasy basketball winnings, I probably would not have done it. I had also not been burned by one of these off eBay deals yet (burnt twice on BST), though typically use more caution.

This was not posted to be about me, more just to warn others about this guy... Or possibly to unearth someone who may know him. That said, I think eBay may have suspended his account following repeated calls. If so, I think his feedback, combined with the very clear eBay messages he sent routing me to his personal email may have done it. His user profile is still up, but all his items came down last night. Small victory.

megalimey
06-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Appreciate feedback, though all, do know I take full blame here. I saw red flags but decided to roll the dice. Had it been a little bit more and/or had I not been playing with fantasy basketball winnings, I probably would not have done it. I had also not been burned by one of these off eBay deals yet (burnt twice on BST), though typically use more caution.

This was not posted to be about me, more just to warn others about this guy... Or possibly to unearth someone who may know him. That said, I think eBay may have suspended his account following repeated calls. If so, I think his feedback, combined with the very clear eBay messages he sent routing me to his personal email may have done it. His user profile is still up, but all his items came down last night. Small victory.

hopefully you never ebay messaged him agreeing to an "off ebay transaction" as they could punish both seller and buyer.
and some one like that would willingly throw you under the bus as well
if that were the case

Ebay deplores not getting their pound of flesh

itjclarke
06-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Nope, no incriminating messages from my end, but I will say, I was amazed how well ebay has treated me the last few times I called. In this case, the seller simply offered me a different amount and suggested I contact his email (sent his email using multiple messages, and "at" instead of @). I was not the one to open dialogue (simply had sent best offer), and didn't acknowledge via ebay. I did come clean to eBay though, telling them I'd been duped and had paid off line. They threatened no punitive action toward me but stated that he may be suspended. They now appear to have taken action with him. On a couple other separate matters relating to bid bucks, they've given me benefit of the doubt and provided me bid buck coupons. I know many gripe about ebay, but I was actually pretty happy with this/these outcomes, and and near 100% in transaction success rates. I've actually for the first time started to sell a bit also and been smooth sailing thus far (knock wood).

itjclarke
06-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Will add though, I know very well how dumb I was to fall for this. It's fully on me.

If anyone does see this Mantle listed again, know it was paid for already.

clydepepper
06-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Lots of Mantles out there...be patient.

HRBAKER
06-07-2017, 03:46 PM
That's got to be among the worst feedback I have ever seen.
Wishing you luck in getting your money back.

itjclarke
06-07-2017, 05:03 PM
That's got to be among the worst feedback I have ever seen.
Wishing you luck in getting your money back.

Not gonna happen, but his seemingly being suspended, or at least pulling all items makes me feel better.

I was flat careless, and put way to much faith in his agreeing to 50% down, 50% at delivery terms. Once things got weird, I looked much closer and saw virtually all his positives were as a buyer. He'd even tried to scam on eBay before with the same Mantle.

The guy himself is named Christopher T@ylor, and he's in Philly. If anyone has dealt with him, or comes across him under a different context or username, just know, he's a complete scammer.

clydepepper
06-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Not gonna happen, but his seemingly being suspended, or at least pulling all items makes me feel better.

I was flat careless, and put way to much faith in his agreeing to 50% down, 50% at delivery terms. Once things got weird, I looked much closer and saw virtually all his positives were as a buyer. He'd even tried to scam on eBay before with the same Mantle.

The guy himself is named Christopher T@ylor, and he's in Philly. If anyone has dealt with him, or comes across him under a different context or username, just know, he's a complete scammer.

Ian- It wouldn't hurt to contact EBAY customer service about getting a refund based on the Buyer Protection plan. It's worth asking anyway.

itjclarke
06-07-2017, 11:32 PM
Ian- It wouldn't hurt to contact EBAY customer service about getting a refund based on the Buyer Protection plan. It's worth asking anyway.

Thanks Raymond.. however no refund possible here. The transaction occurred off their site. I did talk with them twice and at length, and do think they may have suspended him since my second call. I may try to call Paypal at some point, but doubt I'll have any success given I used FF. Stupid all around. Had I just requested standard Paypal, I either would be in a position for a refund, or the seller would have stopped trying to lure me, since he'd have been accountable to Paypal.

chaddurbin
06-08-2017, 12:00 AM
in some instances you can get a refund with pp f/f...rare but it has happened. especially now that he's been suspended from ebay they can help you there with pp.

itjclarke
06-08-2017, 12:19 AM
in some instances you can get a refund with pp f/f...rare but it has happened. especially now that he's been suspended from ebay they can help you there with pp.

Thanks, I guess no harm in trying.

Leon
06-08-2017, 08:55 AM
I moved this from the water cooler section because I feel one of the important aspects of this board is pointing out fraud. Almost all of us use ebay so pointing out fraud there, in our categories, does help our members. It has been said hundreds, if not thousands of times, how someone saw a thread and it saved them some hassles. As for this seller, scum usually sinks to the bottom :).

Jantz
06-08-2017, 02:40 PM
One of the negative feedbacks he received 6 months ago was for a 1969 Topps #500 Mickey Mantle autographed card PSA/DNA. I have no doubt it was the same card.

itjclarke
06-08-2017, 08:38 PM
One of the negative feedbacks he received 6 months ago was for a 1969 Topps #500 Mickey Mantle autographed card PSA/DNA. I have no doubt it was the same card.

Yeah, I saw that one shortly after making my payments. Kicking myself, I wonder if I'd have even gotten the card had I purchased through eBay. Probably would have ended up with an empty box and a "it must have been stolen by PO" excuse.

I do think I'll take Quan's advice and at least give it a shot through Paypal, but don't really expect to get anything back on this. Either way, I'm going to keep eyes on his account to see if he's ever able to list again.

1952boyntoncollector
06-09-2017, 06:52 AM
If you sent him the payments through Paypal, then you can open a dispute on the Paypal website. Paypal will ask the seller for the tracking information, and if he can't provide it, then you will get your money back. If you paid by Western Union, money order, etc. then there is nothing you can do to get your money back.

They can always send tracking to your zipcode, but not to you.. For certain dollar amounts I think that passes the test

philliesfan
06-09-2017, 07:08 AM
He is located in Philly, Pa. So am I (well about a mile away). I will gladly pick up the item for you if you can arrange a date and time. Do you have an address?

itjclarke
06-09-2017, 11:21 AM
He is located in Philly, Pa. So am I (well about a mile away). I will gladly pick up the item for you if you can arrange a date and time. Do you have an address?

sending PM

MikeGarcia
06-09-2017, 11:47 AM

...Philly , huh ?....you may want to go in heavy ; I'm thinking the scammer might not be too pleased to see you....please keep us posted and I'll monitor my police scanner...

gemmint77
06-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Glad I get to come here and read about others mistakes so it will not happen to me. Good luck with any returns.

cardsnstuff
06-09-2017, 04:28 PM

I would show up with police; claiming internet fraud or theft by deception. Show the paypal receipt showing payment and they should help you