PDA

View Full Version : Warms my heart...

orly57
06-06-2017, 09:39 PM
I love that guys are paying up for cards over holders. This Tolstoi psa 2 (right) outsold this psa 3.5 (left) tonight on pwcc

mechanicalman
06-06-2017, 09:44 PM
Yes, and also "backs!"

VintageBen
06-06-2017, 09:51 PM
I bought the PSA 2 tolstoi on the right. Thanks for all of the guidance Orlando!!!

orly57
06-06-2017, 09:54 PM
I am sure that the Tolstoi back had something to do with it, but I don't think Tolstoi's get a huge premium over Piedmont do they?

mechanicalman
06-06-2017, 09:55 PM
I bought the PSA 2 tolstoi on the right. Thanks for all of the guidance Orlando!!!

Awesome card, Ben. Beautiful red color and centering. Congrats. Orly-Wan-Kenobi steered you well.

VintageBen
06-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Awesome card, Ben. Beautiful red color and centering. Congrats. Orly-Wan-Kenobi steered you well.

Haha orly wan kenobi :D

I was debating purchasing the 3.5 but the orange-ish background was really the deciding factor. The red 2 fit all of my criteria.

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-06-2017, 10:47 PM
I am sure that the Tolstoi back had something to do with it, but I don't think Tolstoi's get a huge premium over Piedmont do they?

yeah they kinda do. I'd pay on average double for a tolstoi what I'd pay for an "identical" Piedmont.

Also, I find the card on the left nicer than the one on the right, so even though I have an independent brain, I gotta agree with PSA on this one.

orly57
06-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Wow, I stand corrected. I didn't realize that Tolstoi carried such a premium. I do think that while the comparison may not be apples to apples, that eye appeal is gaining traction, and guys are paying premiums even over higher graded cards.

Jobu
06-07-2017, 10:26 AM
That is a great 2 as well. Nice pick up - there isn't much better than a low grade card that presents several grades better than what is on the flip!

Rich Falvo
06-07-2017, 11:14 AM
yeah they kinda do. I'd pay on average double for a tolstoi what I'd pay for an "identical" Piedmont.

Same here, and probably even more than double for certain players.

Yoda
06-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Has anybody noticed, or is it just me, how Tyrus' eyes on the Red Background can project different emotions: grit, determination, aggression, character, strength etc. I have an Old Mill (sorry, no scan) of our boy where he looks totally stoned, eyes akimbo looking into space. Perhaps it is time to find a new interest.

KMayUSA6060
06-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Has anybody noticed, or is it just me, how Tyrus' eyes on the Red Background can project different emotions: grit, determination, aggression, character, strength etc. I have an Old Mill (sorry, no scan) of our boy where he looks totally stoned, eyes akimbo looking into space. Perhaps it is time to find a new interest.

The one on the right looks like he's giving the stink eye.

KingFisk
06-17-2019, 12:03 PM
This one was possibly Mosered, too. Damn it.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpost.php?p=14771180&postcount=3056

vintagetoppsguy
06-17-2019, 01:31 PM

Instead of maintaining a list of cards that were Mosered, wouldn't it be easier just to maintain a list of cards that weren't Mosered? :(

pokerplyr80
06-17-2019, 01:56 PM
I thought Tolstoi was a very rare back that commanded much more than a 100% premium. Those are both great looking cards though. Congrats to the new owners.

Edit: I missed the post about these possibly being altered. Another member mentioned it to me in a PM. In no way was my response meant to be sarcastic. They are nice looking though.

perezfan
06-17-2019, 02:53 PM

What a shame...

Before I even saw Kingfisk's post, I was thinking it may have been a Moser special. The faded red and lighter font were pretty good indications of a chemical treatment.

Please keep us posted on how PWCC handles the return (assuming there is one). :(

vintagetoppsguy
06-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Has anyone PM'd the board member that bought it? Is he aware?

KingFisk
06-17-2019, 03:01 PM
Has anyone PM'd the board member that bought it? Is he aware?Yes, I did right after I realized he had responded in this thread. Edited to add, I haven't heard back but hope he initiates return with PWCC. Second edit - neither PM I sent him appears to be in my "sent items," so not sure if it's a site glitch or they actually didn't send. Either way, I hope he sees this.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

perezfan
06-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Yes, I did right after I realized he had responded in this thread. Edited to add, I haven't heard back but hope he initiates return with PWCC. Second edit - neither PM I sent him appears to be in my "sent items," so not sure if it's a site glitch or they actually didn't send. Either way, I hope he sees this.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Unless you take the extra step to save it, you will not normally see a PM in your "Sent Items". I bet it did go through...

JeremyW
06-17-2019, 04:11 PM
This is so unfortunate. It seems like there is no end to the alterations & PSA's inability to spot them. It's not only the high grade collectors that are harmed. It's everyone.

perezfan
06-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Yes, such a tragedy that they would ruin a piece of history like this Tolstoi Cobb...

The card doctor scraped off the bottom-left portion of the back, and somehow pressed and colored the top two corner creases + associated damage.

Hopefully the purchaser gets the message, and can instigate a prompt return. If PWCC won't comply, then eBay's Buyer Protection Policy should cover it. Either way, the odds are far better than acting upon PSA's stated "guarantee".

buymycards
06-17-2019, 05:46 PM
Unless you take the extra step to save it, you will not normally see a PM in your "Sent Items". I bet it did go through...

Your sent PM's are saved automatically. You do not have to manually save them.

Jump to Folder:
Messages: 98 Private Messages in Folder: Inbox - click on the down arrow and your sent messages will be displayed.

Rich Falvo
06-17-2019, 06:01 PM
Sent PMs are only saved if you have that option turned on.

buymycards
06-17-2019, 06:12 PM
Sent PMs are only saved if you have that option turned on.

Hi Rich, you are correct: This is under "Edit Options" in the User CP.

When sending private messages the forum can make a copy of the message in your Sent Items folder.
Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default

Scott L.
06-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Yes, such a tragedy that they would ruin a piece of history like this Tolstoi Cobb...

The card doctor scraped off the bottom-left portion of the back, and somehow pressed and colored the top two corner creases + associated damage.

Hopefully the purchaser gets the message, and can instigate a prompt return. If PWCC won't comply, then eBay's Buyer Protection Policy should cover it. Either way, the odds are far better than acting upon PSA's stated "guarantee".

Will EBay honor a return on a purchase from 2 years ago?

pokerplyr80
06-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Will EBay honor a return on a purchase from 2 years ago?

Doubtful. If the buyer wants I'm pretty sure I'd pay what it sold for in 2017 without even looking it up. I don't think he will have any trouble getting out of this one even if the alteration is disclosed.

JeremyW
06-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Doubtful. If the buyer wants I'm pretty sure I'd pay what it sold for in 2017 without even looking it up. I don't think he will have any trouble getting out of this one even if the alteration is disclosed.

Just pass it on, huh? I'm guessing you wouldn't mention anything.

pokerplyr80
06-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Just pass it on, huh? I'm guessing you wouldn't mention anything.

It was cleaned up and bumped from a 1 to a 2. Assuming I bought it and later sold it I'd have the before and after shots in the listing. But it's still a nice looking low grade card. I'd probably hold onto it.

I actually assumed these had been going up as much as other t206 Cobbs the last couple years. But even at what this sold for I think the buyer is fine.

You may be the kind of person who would pass something like this on to the next guy. From your response I'd bet on it. I am not.

JeremyW
06-18-2019, 08:15 AM
It was cleaned up and bumped from a 1 to a 2. Assuming I bought it and later sold it I'd have the before and after shots in the listing. But it's still a nice looking low grade card. I'd probably hold onto it.

I actually assumed these had been going up as much as other t206 Cobbs the last couple years. But even at what this sold for I think the buyer is fine.

You may be the kind of person who would pass something like this on to the next guy. From your response I'd bet on it. I am not.

I apologize. I misunderstood your previous post.

Fuddjcal
06-18-2019, 10:55 AM
1 looks soaked in a chemical bath and the other looks trimmed, IMHO

pokerplyr80
06-18-2019, 11:05 AM
I apologize. I misunderstood your previous post.

Apology accepted. Perhaps it was a little unclear. I just meant that given how hot Cobb has been the last couple of years that any card available today at a 2017 price would be a buy and that even though this one looks like it was improved the buyer would still be better off selling and disclosing the improvement than requesting a refund. That was my assumption any way without looking up sales data.

wondo
06-18-2019, 11:32 AM
1 looks soaked in a chemical bath and the other looks trimmed, IMHO

This.

We will see demons everywhere; perhaps not such a bad thing.

perezfan
06-27-2019, 12:29 PM
So do we know yet, whether the unknowing buyer actually received the notification/message?

And if so, was he issued his refund? Hope the word got back to him ok!

VintageBen
06-27-2019, 05:52 PM
I bought the card as a PSA 2 from PWCC on June 8, 2017. And I sold the card as a PSA 2 in November 2018!!!

Sorry I’m not on here everyday!!!

JeremyW
06-27-2019, 06:11 PM
I bought the card as a PSA 2 from PWCC on June 8, 2017. And I sold the card as a PSA 2 in November 2018!!!

Sorry I’m not on here everyday!!!

It's not your fault that the grading companies can't recognize alterations.

VintageBen
06-27-2019, 06:32 PM
It's not your fault that the grading companies can't recognize alterations.

I had no idea of the shadiness that's been going on in the card doctoring world. Collecting is supposed to be fun.

MULLINS5
07-06-2019, 10:19 PM

For "preservation"