PDA

View Full Version : Upside-down Diamond Stars #37-48 card backs?

Spike
06-05-2017, 10:43 PM
I've owned a #47 Cliff Bolton for some years with a flipped top-to-bottom back that looks authentic to my relatively experienced eye. It's low-grade and normal, other than the "upside-down" back relative to the normal front.

Not long ago, I spotted a second such upside-down back, #37 Urbanski, in a friend's collection. (#37 is a horizontal pose, so was trickier to notice right away.)

Based on both observed cards being in the #37-48 range, best guess is that some Diamond Stars sheets for that 12-player series were printed upside-down and made it into packs before being corrected. Anyone willing to check their sets or slabs for more examples? Those 12 numbers were only printed in 1935, a.k.a. green ink and 1934 stats in the bio. It'd be great to know if I'm on the right track to a simple explanation for the "flip."

keating3620
06-06-2017, 07:17 AM
I have collected the set for 10 years and have not seen an upside down flip. Having them on the same sheet makes sense. I have a Dickey blank back

For all the spelling errors with players names there aren't that make back variations in the set.