PDA

View Full Version : The one project I always wanted to do

Rich Klein
06-01-2017, 08:32 AM
But never came up with enough evidence:

Was to collect MARKED Checklists of the 1956-72 era to see what cards were needed to most. Still think that would be a fun exercise to see if we could figure out what cards are the most needed in sets

What's YOUR project you always wanted to do

Rich

camlov2
06-01-2017, 09:38 AM
Find someone who wanted to buy all of my marked checklists... :D

uyu906
06-01-2017, 10:27 AM
find someone who wanted to buy all of my marked checklists... :d

lol :d

Leon
06-04-2017, 12:36 PM
I want to organize my sports collectibles and get rid of (sell) stuff I have in piles which I don't even remember I have.

But never came up with enough evidence:

Was to collect MARKED Checklists of the 1956-72 era to see what cards were needed to most. Still think that would be a fun exercise to see if we could figure out what cards are the most needed in sets

What's YOUR project you always wanted to do

Rich

Johnny630
06-04-2017, 01:10 PM
I'm with you Leon !!!

sbfinley
06-04-2017, 03:53 PM
It's not sport's related, but it's my "I'll do this one day." My dad was a gear head and I inherited the majority of his classic car collection when he passed five years ago. He could break a car down to last bolt and put it back together. When we settled his estate my younger brother and sister each chose a show ready car he had completely restored and I took everything else. A 1956 Bel Air, 1964 Impala SS, 1976 Chevelle SS, 1973 Camaro, 1958 Chevy Apache, 1940 Ford Coupe, 1983 Monte Carlo, and a 1990 Chevy Silverado Blazer all in various stages from "rust bucket" to half-way finished. They're all stored in a garage larger than my house with enough parts lining the walls on steel stacks ( the stacks that Lowes uses) to rebuild them three times over.

I really want to get one restored (ideally all), but at least one. I priced out having someone restore one, but I'd really love to do it myself. Problem is I'm automotive illiterate. I've got every part, manual, tool, and piece of equipment at my disposal and zero knowledge. I even took a weekend once and decided I would single out the one I have the shot at completing, match parts to it, and see where it stands. It resulted in me staring at Egyptian hieroglyphics (it seemed) for about three hours and walking away.

I know absolutely nothing more about cars than changing tires and oil, but I'm going to restore that damn 56 myself if I die trying.

insidethewrapper
06-04-2017, 09:13 PM
Make sure I don't buy something I already have .

LuckyLarry
06-05-2017, 05:01 AM
I've always loved 1962 Topps Civil War News cards. I collected them as a kid back in '62. So I started "hoarding" them a few years ago, with the thought that someday I would start a "nine-card" project, which is popular in my collecting club OBC.

Except for the #1 card (The Angry Man), and the last card in the set #88 (checklist), off grade cards are found under $2 each.

Once I acquired nine #1s, and nine #88s, I put them in sheets and bindered them up. These are the only two numbers I have all nine cards, most of the others I still need five or six cards.

So I guess this is a project I always wanted to do, and finally got started on it!

Larry

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan%201_34.jpeg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan%201_34.jpeg.html)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w185/larrytipton/Scan_53.jpeg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/larrytipton/media/Scan_53.jpeg.html)

steve B
06-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Doing my own catalog.

Looseleaf, so collectors could buy just the years they collect.
And for each set starting with a basic list followed by a load more detailed info. Stuff like the players teams and positions, Both a simple and advanced listing of variations/varieties with all the listed ones pictured. That sort of thing.

I figure each junk wax era set would run close to 10 pages. Some of the older stuff a lot less.

It'll probably never happen as a printed publication, but I've made a couple tries at starting on it as spreadsheets.

Loads of work for something I'm probably the only potential customer for.

Steve B

gemmint77
06-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Complete a vintage set.

brian1961
06-05-2017, 11:46 AM
I completed my dream project; I wrote a book about postwar regional / food issues. It was a lot of work, even after decades of slowly and meticulous gathering pertinent research.

Entitled NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, with the subhead, Those Special "Free Prize" Sports Collectibles from the Golden Era of 1947 - 1971. Not long ago (2017), there was a thread on the postwar forum of appreciation by several of my readers. Google the title if you wish to see the press release (with ordering details).

Now, I must say it's an E-book on a CD, but those hearty souls who wanted 478 pages of hobby filet mignon seemed to have been heartily satisfied. Sure, no doubt I cannot please everyone, but it sure pleased extremely picky 'ol me.

Why not on paper? Because through Amazon.com's Create-Space self-publishing unit, my book would have been an expensive $72 for plain paper (lousy-looking photos) or $95 for all picture paper and hyper-expensive! So, with that Hobson's Choice, I chose having the people who craft the Krause Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards on a CD. It came out great.

---Brian Powell

bnorth
06-05-2017, 12:04 PM
I completed my dream project; I wrote a book about postwar regional / food issues. It was a lot of work, even after decades of slowly and meticulous gathering pertinent research.

Entitled NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, with the subhead, Those Special "Free Prize" Sports Collectibles from the Golden Era of 1947 - 1971. Not long ago (2017), there was a thread on the postwar forum of appreciation by several of my readers. Google the title if you wish to see the press release (with ordering details).

Now, I must say it's an E-book on a CD, but those hearty souls who wanted 478 pages of hobby filet mignon seemed to have been heartily satisfied. Sure, no doubt I cannot please everyone, but it sure pleased extremely picky 'ol me.

Why not on paper? Because through Amazon.com's Create-Space self-publishing unit, my book would have been an expensive $72 for plain paper (lousy-looking photos) or $95 for all picture paper and hyper-expensive! So, with that Hobson's Choice, I chose having the people who craft the Krause Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards on a CD. It came out great.

---Brian Powell

I am an E-Book hater. Even with that Brians book is amazing and well worth buying if you collect those type of cards/items. Not sure but I think you can buy it through Amazon and just download it now so you don't have to try and find a CD drive.

Personally I would just like to finish the sets I have started. I would also like to get my room full of cards down to something way more manageable.:D

BeanTown
06-05-2017, 12:18 PM
Get an easy to use online store to sell old hobby publications from the 50s to present. The last time I threw out an auction house catalog was Festberg's back in mid 90s. Thanks to Brockleman auctions I have boxes full 🤗

brian1961
06-05-2017, 12:25 PM
I am an E-Book hater. Even with that Brians book is amazing and well worth buying if you collect those type of cards/items. Not sure but I think you can buy it through Amazon and just download it now so you don't have to try and find a CD drive.

Personally I would just like to finish the sets I have started. I would also like to get my room full of cards down to something way more manageable.:D

THANKS, BEN, FOR THE KIND WORDS. MUCH APPRECIATED. YEAH, I AM NOT A FAN OF E-BOOKS, BUT AS I EXPLAINED, IT WAS EITHER THE E-BOOK ON A CD, OR NO BOOK AT ALL.

IT MAY BE SOME TIME BEFORE IT'S EVER AVAILABLE THROUGH AMAZON AS A DOWNLOAD, BUT MAYBE SOME TIME LATER THIS YEAR.....:o

IT SURE WAS A GRATIFYING EXPERIENCE TO DO THE BOOK, WITH THE IMMENSE HELP FROM ALL THE IMPORTANT HOBBY PEOPLE WHO GRANTED ME INTERVIEWS AND GAVE ME OF THEIR KNOWLEDGE AND SEA STORIES.

THANKS AGAIN, BEN; TAKE CARE, MY FRIEND. HOPE YOU'RE ABLE TO COMPLETE SOME SETS BEFORE TOO LONG.:D ---Brian Powell

KCRfan1
06-05-2017, 01:55 PM
It's not sport's related, but it's my "I'll do this one day." My dad was a gear head and I inherited the majority of his classic car collection when he passed five years ago. He could break a car down to last bolt and put it back together. When we settled his estate my younger brother and sister each chose a show ready car he had completely restored and I took everything else. A 1956 Bel Air, 1964 Impala SS, 1976 Chevelle SS, 1973 Camaro, 1958 Chevy Apache, 1940 Ford Coupe, 1983 Monte Carlo, and a 1990 Chevy Silverado Blazer all in various stages from "rust bucket" to half-way finished. They're all stored in a garage larger than my house with enough parts lining the walls on steel stacks ( the stacks that Lowes uses) to rebuild them three times over.

I really want to get one restored (ideally all), but at least one. I priced out having someone restore one, but I'd really love to do it myself. Problem is I'm automotive illiterate. I've got every part, manual, tool, and piece of equipment at my disposal and zero knowledge. I even took a weekend once and decided I would single out the one I have the shot at completing, match parts to it, and see where it stands. It resulted in me staring at Egyptian hieroglyphics (it seemed) for about three hours and walking away.

I know absolutely nothing more about cars than changing tires and oil, but I'm going to restore that damn 56 myself if I die trying.

That Bel Air, Impala, and Camero will be fun! Good Luck!