PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone's take on invalid bid retractions??

bobbyw8469
05-25-2017, 07:27 AM
I recently had a high profile auction (a very undergraded Clemente rookie card) receive an invalid bid retraction. The person bid, found out the previous bidders max, then retracted his bid. It wasn't an accidental bid (no extra number or anything), and wasn't followed up immediately. I blocked him. Unlike PWCC, my policy is one retraction is enough for blockage. I just wanted everyone's opinion if that is too harsh?? Should I be more like others and allow invalid bid retractors to run rampant? Opinions wanted .....

darwinbulldog
05-25-2017, 07:39 AM
I guess you can't be certain if the bid was nefariously intended or accidental or something else, but I think you should be able to block whomever you wish to block, and if the preponderance of evidence indicates the bidder is up to no good, well, that seems like as good a justification as any.

Republicaninmass
05-25-2017, 07:43 AM
Current bid 345

Bid 35,000

Then retract "entered wrong amount"

Enter 350

Build a better mousetrap....they build a better mouse

Stonepony
05-25-2017, 07:47 AM
If someone retracts a bid on my auction. I block them immediately without any research or questions

packs
05-25-2017, 07:54 AM
I have never made a bid I didn't want to make so I don't buy the excuse. I'd have a zero tolerance policy for it too. eBay has a dummy policy in place to keep you from making an incorrect bid. You have to confirm your bid twice. Anyone who still makes an incorrect bid after confirming the bid shouldn't be allowed to retract unless their account was compromised.

vintagetoppsguy
05-25-2017, 08:04 AM
I recently had a high profile auction (a very undergraded Clemente rookie card) receive an invalid bid retraction. The person bid, found out the previous bidders max, then retracted his bid. It wasn't an accidental bid (no extra number or anything), and wasn't followed up immediately. I blocked him. Unlike PWCC, my policy is one retraction is enough for blockage. I just wanted everyone's opinion if that is too harsh?? Should I be more like others and allow invalid bid retractors to run rampant? Opinions wanted .....

Yes, you should have blocked him.

When I'm high bidder on a card and I'm outbid and then that bidder retracts their bid exposing my proxy, most of the time I cancel my bid too - especially if I don't know the seller.

I just feel like it's the seller or one of their friends trying to find out my proxy so they can run it up to the max. By retracting my bid, I don't give them that chance.

mikemb
05-25-2017, 08:17 AM
If someone retracts a bid in my auction and does not follow it up right away with their correct bid, I block them right away.

Mike

steve B
05-25-2017, 08:30 AM
I have never made a bid I didn't want to make so I don't buy the excuse. I'd have a zero tolerance policy for it too. eBay has a dummy policy in place to keep you from making an incorrect bid. You have to confirm your bid twice. Anyone who still makes an incorrect bid after confirming the bid shouldn't be allowed to retract unless their account was compromised.

It's a difficult call.

When I was relatively new at Ebay I bid on a projector I wanted that looked like it was at a good price. When I mentioned it to my friend he asked why I'd bid on one with such high shipping - it was $80 instead of the then normal 15-20. And made the good deal one that was overpriced.

That's my one retraction.
I don't recall having anyone retract a bid when I was actively selling, but my stuff was usually cheap and also usually sold with one bid. There might have been one where the first bidder retracted, and the item didn't sell, it's been a while.

If I was still doing Ebay I probably would block retractors, especially if it looked like an odd retraction.

Steve B

pawpawdiv9
05-25-2017, 11:54 AM
I had this recently done by 2 bidders.
They bidded with days to go and waited until the last day to retract.
*After the responses here--I will block them now.

drcy
05-25-2017, 12:10 PM
As mentioned, someone could innocently enter the wrong amount and retracted it, but, presumably, would soonafter enter another, correct bid.

Blocking someone due to a single retraction seems too much for me (especially if they have $$ to spend on your items), but it's your auctions and your choice.

As far as nefarious bid retractions go, the issue usually isn't a once in a while bid retraction but a lot of them. If it's your item, your auction and you don't know the person, obviously he isn't a shill bidder.

bobbyw8469
05-25-2017, 12:32 PM
I checked the persons retractions for the past 12 months. Not TOO bad...only 10.....but compared to my ZERO, that's a lot!

vintagetoppsguy
05-25-2017, 12:46 PM
If it's your item, your auction and you don't know the person, obviously he isn't a shill bidder.

Yes, but it still looks suspicious to other bidders in the auction. That was my point and why I retract my bid if I'm high bidder and my proxy is exposed.

bobbyw8469
05-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Yes, but it still looks suspicious to other bidders in the auction. That was my point and why I retract my bid if I'm high bidder and my proxy is exposed.

I hope that is not the case.....the retractor has been blocked...but I see your point....It ruins the whole integrity of the auction.

Maybe the other guy won't mind, since his max is so close to where it sits currently anyway. He is stealing the card right now, IMHO....someone could technically win it, break it out of the low grade case, and sell it for 3 times where it sits now.

1952boyntoncollector
05-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Yes, you should have blocked him.

When I'm high bidder on a card and I'm outbid and then that bidder retracts their bid exposing my proxy, most of the time I cancel my bid too - especially if I don't know the seller.

I just feel like it's the seller or one of their friends trying to find out my proxy so they can run it up to the max. By retracting my bid, I don't give them that chance.

Other people do that to get guys like you out so they can get the card cheaper when they have another username bid less than you did.

1952boyntoncollector
05-25-2017, 01:08 PM
I hope that is not the case.....the retractor has been blocked...but I see your point....It ruins the whole integrity of the auction.

Maybe the other guy won't mind, since his max is so close to where it sits currently anyway. He is stealing the card right now, IMHO....someone could technically win it, break it out of the low grade case, and sell it for 3 times where it sits now.

You do say that your cards can always be won for cheap and there is currently a great deal.

After the auction ends and all the bidding is done, if you pointed out how cheap your cards were bought for that would prove your point about how your auctions are giving such great deals. None is ever 'stealing the card' until the auction is over. Early bidding means nothing. If you just want to bring attention to your auction that is understandable no one is stealing any card mid auction

bobbyw8469
05-25-2017, 01:34 PM
You do say that your cards can always be won for cheap and there is currently a great deal.

After the auction ends and all the bidding is done, if you pointed out how cheap your cards were bought for that would prove your point about how your auctions are giving such great deals. None is ever 'stealing the card' until the auction is over. Early bidding means nothing. If you just want to bring attention to your auction that is understandable no one is stealing any card mid auction

We can revisit this thread after the auction is over. Still doesn't change the fact that there is a VERY real possibility that the winning bidder will crack this card out and sell it raw.

bobbyw8469
05-25-2017, 01:38 PM
As much as you like to argue and bicker Jake, there is no denying that the larger sellers get more money than the smaller sellers for the exact same card (for legitimate reasons, or nefarious reasons). And that's fine by me.

wondo
05-25-2017, 02:41 PM
I checked the persons retractions for the past 12 months. Not TOO bad...only 10.....but compared to my ZERO, that's a lot!

Not TOO bad? I disagree - that's ridiculous. Its either bidder's remorse or shenanigans. I agree with a blockagementation.

bobbyw8469
05-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Not TOO bad? I disagree - that's ridiculous. Its either bidder's remorse or shenanigans. I agree with a blockagementation.

he got blocked...unless someone rebids the correct amount immediately, I have a "one and done" policy on bid retractors. I just wanted other people's opinions on if that was too harsh or not. Sounds like it wasn't.

JustinD
05-25-2017, 03:41 PM

+1

edjs
05-25-2017, 06:22 PM
I would think that an invalid would have to follow the same rules for bid retractions as anyone else, but I don't understand why we are discussing it.

Buythatcard
05-25-2017, 07:34 PM
I have a simple rule. If someone retracts a bid on one of my items without placing a new bid, they are immediately blocked.

Had one guy question why I blocked him after he retracted a bid and I explained to him my rule. His response was that he has friends who bid on my stuff who have retracted bids but are still allowed to bid. I told him that they did not retract a bid at my auction. If they did, they would have also been blocked.

Since eBay does nothing to stop these people, it's really up to the seller to block these people.

bobbyw8469
05-25-2017, 07:50 PM
I would think that an invalid would have to follow the same rules for bid retractions as anyone else, but I don't understand why we are discussing it.

We are discussing it because I wanted opinions, which I have since received. Thank you so much.

irv
05-25-2017, 07:56 PM
I lost a card the other night, (well, sort of) as the winner had 11 bid retractions in 6 months and the seller informed me after if he had known about the 11 retractions, he too would have blocked him.
( I informed him in case something fell through with the buyer)

bobbyw8469
05-25-2017, 08:18 PM
I lost a card the other night, (well, sort of) as the winner had 11 bid retractions in 6 months and the seller informed me after if he had known about the 11 retractions, he too would have blocked him.
( I informed him in case something fell through with the buyer)

I don't even notice retractions until I block the bidder for doing it. I don't know why, but Ebay almost seems to hide retractions. It is very hard to find unless you know what you are doing.

irv
05-25-2017, 08:38 PM
I don't even notice retractions until I block the bidder for doing it. I don't know why, but Ebay almost seems to hide retractions. It is very hard to find unless you know what you are doing.

My seller was also unaware of it until I told him, but I am unsure if he has ever tried to look?
He was away for the week-end and had just returned shortly before that particular card sold.
I beat out the same bidder a week prior and I haven't heard anything from the seller if the deal fell through but some time has passed now so I assume all is good?
Not sure, now that the retracting buyer has won one, if the seller will still decide to block him, but if everything is on the up and up with this current purchase, I personally don't see it happening, and in all honesty, I don't blame him.

edjs
05-26-2017, 08:29 AM
We are discussing it because I wanted opinions, which I have since received. Thank you so much.

Oh man, I thought you were talking about invalids, people with disabilities. I couldn't figure out why that would make any difference, let alone how you would know if a bid retractor was disabled. Cursed homonyms.

Leon
05-28-2017, 07:21 PM
I would want to hear why someone retracted before I l block them.
If they do it again in the next five years they are gone...That sounds about right. One retraction every 5 yrs is more than enough.

Runscott
05-30-2017, 02:14 PM
I can remember a couple of total lunatic ebay sellers years back - one sold vintage cards and the other sold vintage pool cues. These two were both completely bat-sh*t crazy. But they both had great stuff, and if either was selling something I really wanted, I held my breath and put in my bid, knowing it might end up being a transaction from hell.

It goes the same way with lunatic ebay buyers. How badly do you want their money? Obviously, if you don't block anyone, you will have more problems, but also obviously, you will make more money.

I once blocked someone who made an offer and then retracted it, and it turned out that he was just crazy. Months later he asked me why he was blocked, so I took a chance and un-blocked him. He ended up spending a lot of money on my stuff, often with weird questions attached, etc., but his money was good.

1952boyntoncollector
06-06-2017, 11:23 AM
We can revisit this thread after the auction is over. Still doesn't change the fact that there is a VERY real possibility that the winning bidder will crack this card out and sell it raw.

How much did this card go for...a big steal?

bobbyw8469
06-06-2017, 01:10 PM
Yes..it sold for $666....a similar looking PSA 1 (but with a tear in it) sold for $920 or so....so I thought mine should have sold for $900 as well.....the winning bidder was a VERY big dealer/flipper on Ebay. It would not surprise me at all if the card gets broken out and sold as raw, since it looks like a 4/5 and the "issue" is so hard to spot. Hindsight being 20/20, I wish I had broken it out and sold it raw. I took a chance though, and lost.