PDA

View Full Version : Your current favorite MLB Broadcasters or Broadcast team?

cardsfan73
05-24-2017, 12:54 PM
I was just wondering who you guys/gals like as far as current MLB broadcasters or broadcast team?

Although I enjoy the current broadcast team for the Cardinals it's not nearly as enjoyable as it was when Jack Buck was still around.

For me other than the obvious Cardinals team, I also enjoy the Washington Nationals who have Bob Carpenter who is a local guy that had a a couple of stints with the Cardinals.

I also get a kick out of Bob Uecker on the radio side for the Brewers.

Who else do I need to check out?

Thanks,
Scott

KMayUSA6060
05-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Tom Hamilton on the radio for the Indians. One of the best in the business if you ask me.

Also, check out Matt Underwood and Rick Manning on STO for a good laugh. Manning has an ego, and puts Underwood in his place quite a bit. Underwood takes it well, but it's funny to watch.

cardsfan73
05-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Thanks, I'll be sure to check out some Indians radio broadcast!

Snapolit1
05-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Do many of you listen to a lot of broadcasts that are not "your" team? I love the Mets TV guys and think they are brilliant, but their my guys and I hear them 100+ times a year, so not exactly a fair analysis.

bdk1976
05-24-2017, 04:37 PM
I really like Dave Sims and Mike Blowers on TV for the Mariners. Entertaining without being overbearing and Blowers has had some pretty good insight into the game at times (the best of which will always be his legendary prediction of Matt Tuiasosopo's first career HR).

If you do give these two a whirl, make sure it isn't one of the days where Jay Buhner invades the booth for part of the game or you'll risk bashing in your TV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardsfan73
05-24-2017, 05:43 PM
I am currently listening to many different out of market games via MLB Gameday Audio.

It's 19.99 a year and you can listen to either home or away radio broadcast teams (even the local teams, no black out like MLB TV).

Last year was the first time I subscribed because I really wanted to hear as many Vin Scully games as I could before he retired.

I'll probably start a MLB TV subscription soon as it get's cheaper as the season goes on. Last offer I received was for $59 for the rest of the year.

I love baseball and want to watch/listen to as much of it as I can!

cardsfan73
05-24-2017, 05:49 PM
I really like Dave Sims and Mike Blowers on TV for the Mariners. Entertaining without being overbearing and Blowers has had some pretty good insight into the game at times (the best of which will always be his legendary prediction of Matt Tuiasosopo's first career HR).

If you do give these two a whirl, make sure it isn't one of the days where Jay Buhner invades the booth for part of the game or you'll risk bashing in your TV!

Buhner is that bad eh? LOL I sometimes feel the same way about Jim Edmonds on the Cardinals TV broadcast!

I know a lot of people are not huge Tim McCarver fans but I am happy to have him doing some of the games for the Cardinals. They recently had Bob Gibson & Steve Carlton visit the booth and the stories they told w/ McCarver were great!

clydepepper
05-24-2017, 07:44 PM
My favorite broadcasting team currently working is

ESPN's Dan Shulman, Aaron Boone, and Jessica Mendoza

second place to ESPN's Jon Sciambi and Rick Sutcliffe.

Favorite Broadcast Team ever was Jon Sciambi and Joe Simpson for the Braves 2007-09.

Favorite Radio Broadcaster- Don Sutton

cardsfan73
05-24-2017, 07:58 PM
My favorite broadcasting team currently working is

Favorite Broadcast Team ever was Jon Sciambi and Joe Simpson for the Braves 2007-09.

I don't have ESPN, so no go for me on that team! I'll def. check out some Braves radio games!

dclarkraiders
05-24-2017, 08:45 PM
As an O's fan, I watch the game on MASN but mute the sound and listen to Joe Angel on radio. I really enjoy Joe's sense of humor and the way he mixes some Spanish into the broadcast.

cardsfan73
05-24-2017, 09:02 PM
As an O's fan, I watch the game on MASN but mute the sound and listen to Joe Angel on radio. I really enjoy Joe's sense of humor and the way he mixes some Spanish into the broadcast.

I like the O's too! They used to be our St. Louis Browns after all.. so by default they are my AL team!

They have some hitters on that team but the starting pitching struggles. I like this kid Trey Mancini looks like he can hit!

bdk1976
05-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Buhner is that bad eh? LOL I sometimes feel the same way about Jim Edmonds on the Cardinals TV broadcast!

I like Buhner but listening to his schtick during a game is a bit much and often distracting. Doesn't help that he is overexposed around here due to incessant commercials he does for a local truck dealership.

ajquigs
05-25-2017, 04:58 AM
Do many of you listen to a lot of broadcasts that are not "your" team? I love the Mets TV guys and think they are brilliant, but their my guys and I hear them 100+ times a year, so not exactly a fair analysis.

You saved me some keystrokes.

bdk1976
05-25-2017, 09:18 AM

I listen to quite a few others. Obviously I'm biased, but also glad I don't have to listen to many white sox games with Harrelson - also not a big fan of ESPN's current crews either. Get some additional exposure on MLB network of other announcers as well. Like Smoltz but can't stand Darling. Thank God McCarver retired!

cardsfan73
05-25-2017, 07:20 PM
I listen to quite a few others. Obviously I'm biased, but also glad I don't have to listen to many white sox games with Harrelson - also not a big fan of ESPN's current crews either. Get some additional exposure on MLB network of other announcers as well. Like Smoltz but can't stand Darling. Thank God McCarver retired!

McCarver is still active as part of the Cardinals TV broadcast team along with Dan McLaughlin, Al Hrabosky, Ricky Horton and Jim Edmonds. I'll take McCarver over Edmonds any time.

I enjoy McCarver more as part of the Cardinals broadcast team more than I did as a National Broadcaster. As I mentioned before when they have former Cardinals players such as Brock, Gibson & Carlton in the booth with McCarver sharing stories it is very entertaining!

Enfuego
05-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Michael Kay is my guy..."There it goes......See Ya!!!"

Snapolit1
05-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Michael Kay is my guy..."There it goes......See Ya!!!"

One man's idea of heaven is another's man's hell.

cardsfan73
05-26-2017, 09:30 PM
One man's idea of heaven is another's man's hell.

LOL That can be so true!!

Enfuego
05-26-2017, 10:27 PM
LOL That can be so true!!

[emoji1417]

SAllen2556
05-27-2017, 05:37 AM
I have always really enjoyed listening to Jerry Howarth in Toronto. And I agree Tom Hamilton in Cleveland is excellent. When the Tigers play these two teams I always try to find these guys if I'm driving.

We were recently on the west coast driving and got to listen to Jon Miller doing the Giants - I think he might be the best.

Unfortunately, I can't stand the radio guys in Detroit. You hear the ball hit the mitt on the radio while the play-by-play guy is intently discussing how Miguel Cabrerra hits .375 with power on Sunday afternoons when the sky is overcast. But I grew up with Ernie Harwell, so I'm a tough critic.

Does anyone still tune around the radio dial when you're driving to see if you can get other games? I just think it's cool to find a Phillies or Cardinal game on a nice clear night in Michigan.

Jim65
05-27-2017, 08:40 AM
I never hide my homerism, Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez do a great job doing Mets games.

It pains me to say it because I hated him as a player but ARod is pretty good.

ibuysportsephemera
05-27-2017, 12:21 PM
I never hide my homerism, Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez do a great job doing Mets games.

I love Gary and Ron...Keith not so much. The broadcasts seem to be at a higher level when Keith isn't working. And Keith was one of my favorite ball players.

Jeff

clydepepper
05-27-2017, 01:35 PM
How quickly we forget:

Favorite All-Time Broadcaster:

Mr. Vinn Scully!!!

cardsfan73
05-27-2017, 09:34 PM
How quickly we forget:

Favorite All-Time Broadcaster:

Mr. Vinn Scully!!!

Nobody forgot! I was looking for current broadcasters. Getting to hear Scully during his final season was one of the main reasons I subscribed to the MLB audio service last year.

That being said.. and you can call me a homer... But my main guy was and always will be Jack Buck!

ALR-bishop
05-28-2017, 10:48 AM
At The Louisville Slugger bat museum they have a Broadcaster section where you can play famous calls by Hall of Fame broadcasters, including Scully and Buck and Harry Carry, who was also a Cardinal broadcaster until his dust up with August Bush and his turn to the Dark Side :)

cardsfan73
05-28-2017, 08:44 PM
At The Louisville Slugger bat museum they have a Broadcaster section where you can play famous calls by Hall of Fame broadcasters, including Scully and Buck and Harry Carry, who was also a Cardinal broadcaster until his dust up with August Bush and his turn to the Dark Side :)

Harry as a Cardinal was before my time... But that being said other than Buck & Shannon I probably heard more games called by Harry Caray & Steve Stone growing up. I was so excited when we finally got cable tv and I had access to the Cubs (and later white sox) on WGN and the Braves games on TBS.

clydepepper
05-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Nobody forgot! I was looking for current broadcasters. Getting to hear Scully during his final season was one of the main reasons I subscribed to the MLB audio service last year.

That being said.. and you can call me a homer... But my main guy was and always will be Jack Buck!

Ooops!

As far as individual team broadcasts are concerned, I only get the Braves:

When watching the Braves games, I mute the sound and listen to Don on the Radio.

I can't stand 'Slip' Carey...he's third generation overrated. He makes really stupid comments and he has greasy hair too! :mad:

-

gregr2
05-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Michael Kay when he is working with Paul O'Neill. Paul brings a goofy, fun side to the telecast that I enjoy.