PDA

View Full Version : New Braves stadium pays tribute to vintage baseball

scooter729
05-23-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm in Atlanta for work, so naturally came to the Braves game tonight, at their brand new stadium which just opened. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much the new park honors the long history of the franchise!

I collect vintage Boston Braves items, so was thrilled to see pictures everywhere of the 1880s teams, with Ol' Hoss, King Kelly, Clarkson and all the rest prominently featured throughout the park, with pictures of Old Judge cards and more everywhere!

The part I liked the most was hearing fans looking and talking about what they saw - kids asking fathers about Ruth on the Braves, checking out 1880s Beaneater team pics and googling it to find out more about them - made me smile that there's hope for more kids to like the old stuff like us and not just the shiny stuff!

scooter729
05-23-2017, 05:37 PM

The-Cardfather
05-23-2017, 05:55 PM
I hope to get there in June when my Metsies are back in town. But one thing I observed (on TV) when they last played in Atlanta was the organ. I miss the organ music in baseball. That organ brought me back to an earlier ( and better) time in baseball (and in my life).

sac_bunt
05-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Agree....the Braves museum in the new park is one of the best historical tributes across the majors.

And the Mets fans really enjoyed scoring 16 runs the night I was there.

I'm in Atlanta for work, so naturally came to the Braves game tonight, at their brand new stadium which just opened. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much the new park honors the long history of the franchise!

I collect vintage Boston Braves items, so was thrilled to see pictures everywhere of the 1880s teams, with Ol' Hoss, King Kelly, Clarkson and all the rest prominently featured throughout the park, with pictures of Old Judge cards and more everywhere!

The part I liked the most was hearing fans looking and talking about what they saw - kids asking fathers about Ruth on the Braves, checking out 1880s Beaneater team pics and googling it to find out more about them - made me smile that there's hope for more kids to like the old stuff like us and not just the shiny stuff!

irv
05-23-2017, 06:27 PM

That's great to hear!

Thanks for sharing your story.

BeanTown
05-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Looks like a rain delay now at the game Scott. How was the parking at the new stadium? I'm planning on going in the next two weeks. Really looking forwarded to seeing the museum.

scooter729
05-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Looks like a rain delay now at the game Scott. How was the parking at the new stadium? I'm planning on going in the next two weeks. Really looking forwarded to seeing the museum.

Can't vouch for parking - I took an Uber from midtown, which was easy and cheap ($14 plus tip). They have a special Uber pickup / drop off area, and tons of restaurants and bars for pre-game. It's a nicely built area. I took off when the rain hit to get back and watch the end of the Celtics game (alas, another miracle eluded them tonight vs. Cleveland).

durbin8307
05-25-2017, 03:19 PM

That is Awesome

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk