PDA

View Full Version : Believer or Non? Ruth Hit Baseball

Billyscards
05-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Curious to the boards take... Ruth was "injured" on the day that this game was played and to all research I have been doing, I can't tell if he was in uniform, traveling, or would have taken BP...

I'm desperately trying to acquire a Game Used Ruth Ball and want to be a believer but just don't know if I can...

So who is a believer?????

Dave Grob
05-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Before going to too far into the weeds on this one, does the baseball actually date to the event (Reach American League Baseball, consistent with the time frame offered-1934).

If not. Stop. If so, then begin the look at contemporary newspaper accounts for more information on the status of Ruth on the date in question.

Just a thought..

Dave Grob

packs
05-22-2017, 03:24 PM
Ruth would play his final game at Yankee Stadium only 4 days later and he only had one at bat in that game (a walk). Seems like the chances of him hitting the ball grow slim considering the timing and the fact that he didn't play that day.

JMEnglish27
05-22-2017, 04:02 PM
"Hit" this ball...what does that mean exactly. Could be batting practice, could be a foul into the stands.

I want to believe too.

bigtrain
05-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Seems like someone who was at the game and inscribed this ball would know enough to write Navin Field. Looks like this says Naval Field to me.

ksfarmboy
05-22-2017, 04:43 PM
Me too.😄

Duluth Eskimo
05-22-2017, 09:08 PM
Ballpoint pen? Looks like false distressing also.

JustinD
05-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Seems like someone who was at the game and inscribed this ball would know enough to write Navin Field. Looks like this says Naval Field to me.

+1

Gary Dunaier
05-27-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm desperately trying to acquire a Game Used Ruth Ball

Presumably you're looking for a ball actually hit by Ruth... but, strictly out of curiosity (I am not a dealer):

1) does it have to be hit for a base hit or better, or would one that he made contact with that resulted either in a foul ball or an out be acceptable?
2) would you be happy with a ball known to have been used in a game in which Ruth played, but can not be shown to have been used in a Ruth at-bat?