PDA

View Full Version : 1989 fleer uncut strips scd article

glynparson
05-21-2017, 05:09 PM
In 1989 there was an article in SCD, or possibly baseball cards or one of the other hobby publications about 1989 fleer strips being stolen from the dump. if anyone happens to run across this old article from 1989 possibly early 1990 could you please send me a copy of it. email is fine. thank you.

bnorth
05-21-2017, 05:14 PM
In 1989 there was an article in SCD, or possibly baseball cards or one of the other hobby publications about 1989 fleer strips being stolen from the dump. if anyone happens to run across this old article from 1989 possibly early 1990 could you please send me a copy of it. email is fine. thank you.

I know nothing about the article but have seen a ton of those uncut strips over the years.

jp1216
05-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Glyn,

I've glanced over most of the articles I've saved on the '89 Fleer FF card and can't find it in print. Most are listed on my FF website. Can I ask why you are looking for this article? After the FF card was discovered, no dumpster was safe around the Fleer plant. Many sheets were cut into vertical strips and discarded. Many were smuggled out by employees and sold.

glynparson
05-24-2017, 04:41 PM
I told someone that many were stolen from the dump and someone called me a liar. I remember reading the article because I knew someone that got some from a dump. I live near Philadelphia.

Griffins
05-25-2017, 12:07 AM
How can something be stolen from a dump?

DaClyde
05-25-2017, 06:14 AM

Apparently once it enters the dump, it becomes the legal property of the Garbage Fairies.

bnorth
05-25-2017, 06:28 AM

Apparently once it enters the dump, it becomes the legal property of the Garbage Fairies.

Like most things I am sure location makes a big difference as laws change drastically from place to place. Here as soon as an item goes into your garbage can it is considered property of the city. It is why the PoPo can search your garbage with out a warrant. You will be charged for theft if you take anything out of the dump without paying for it. Here there is a rate for taking stuff into the dump and a rate for taking stuff out of the dump.

ALR-bishop
05-25-2017, 07:08 AM
Might matter where dumpster is. I have watched police swoop in and grab trash from a trash can placed out on the street for pick up. But if your trash is in a bin on your loading dock on your property for pick up by a private contractor, or maybe even the city, accessing it before it leaves the premises may raise issues like trespass and even theft.

Griffins
05-25-2017, 08:03 AM
Interesting. I figured one mans trash....

About 20 years ago I worked at Hanna Barbera one day a week. As they were shutting down I watched them carry out armloads of animation cels and toss them in a dumpster. Pretty soon a couple of guys were dumpster diving and pulling them all out- no one seemed to care.