PDA

View Full Version : Forgery

SmokyBurgess
05-01-2017, 07:25 AM
After reading all those "what do you think of this one" posts over the past couple of years I decided to open up a Forger's Hall of Fame.

Nominations anyone?

RichardSimon
05-01-2017, 03:58 PM
1- Ron Dross - the grandfather of the modern forgery business. He was forging BB Hall of Famers while he was still in grade school :D.
2- Dave Zimmerman - "virtual" nephew of Dross. Former NY Mets batboy.
3- Johnny Fang - A damn good forger. Probably the best ever. Signed all those To Charlie balls from the Black Sox (sold to Charlie Sheen, the scam was that the To Charlie was To Charlie Rigler an ump in the WS of 1919).Johnny Fang might not have been his real name.
4- The guy in Michigan - forgot his name.
5- The guy who bought a lot of unsigned wire photos from me about 15 years ago. Two months later a good and knowledgeable customer came over to my home with a whole bunch of my wire photos, mostly Babe Ruth. Only now they were signed. He bought them from the guy I sold the unsigned ones to.
6- The Cowboy. He was Bob Feller's traveling companion. Walked around at shows, wearing a big cowboy hat, peddling forgeries. Not quite certain if he was a forger or just selling the crap.
-
There should also be a section for enablers. The sellers and authenticators who enable forgers to thrive.
-
Now back to my drink :).

SmokyBurgess
05-02-2017, 07:13 AM
Looks like a great class for the inaugural ceremony! I knew you could start us off right lol

Everyone is also welcome to scan in some of your fakes that they got off on you.

turtleguy64
05-02-2017, 07:18 AM
top of the class had to be Operation Bullpen star Marino(Eric might have been first name).Once he got some MaryJane in his system,he could start dishing out the fake sigs.A Must read book Operation Bullpen.

w7imel
05-02-2017, 10:33 AM
Wasnt there like a Fragpanni that had hundreds of fake Ruth balls and bats on Ebay at one time? Maybe 15 years ago?

gnaz01
05-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Wasnt there like a Fragpanni that had hundreds of fake Ruth balls and bats on Ebay at one time? Maybe 15 years ago?

Donald Frangiapani was the "forensic document examiner" certifying the crap...

Mr. Zipper
05-02-2017, 11:21 AM
top of the class had to be Operation Bullpen star Marino(Eric might have been first name).Once he got some MaryJane in his system,he could start dishing out the fake sigs.A Must read book Operation Bullpen.

Greg Marino.

He was considered skilled at the time I suppose, but his work is obvious by today's standard. Certainly not as skilled as most that Richard mentioned.

turtleguy64
05-02-2017, 01:09 PM
that's the guy.the criminal star of Operation Bullpen.But the lessons were not really learned after that tumble of the ring of forgers.

ChiSoxTony
05-02-2017, 04:01 PM
6- The Cowboy. He was Bob Feller's traveling companion. Walked around at shows, wearing a big cowboy hat, peddling forgeries. Not quite certain if he was a forger or just selling the crap.

When I was a kid in the 90's I remember seeing a TV program called something like "Outside The Lines: The Autograph Game." It was all about forgeries in the sports memorabilia industry and featured them confronting The Cowboy after Joe DiMaggio was shown one of the Cowboy's DiMaggio balls. Almost 30 years later, I can still remember Joe D. saying, "That's my signature, but I didn't sign that ball." It was a pretty good program. Wish I could find a way to see it today. Hasn't ended up on youtube yet...

Tony

RichardSimon
05-03-2017, 07:29 AM
How could I have forgotten Marino on my initial list???
:D:D
And to add two more things, Ron Dross was the forger in the infamous B&W HOF plaque scam.
And my Clarence Darrow quote in my signature is very appropriate for Mr. Dross and Mr. Zimmerman.

tazdmb
05-03-2017, 05:15 PM
I need to know who the guy in Michigan is if you have any leads, I know several people selling forged items out of my home state, but no-one that actually did the forging. t

there is an ESPN short coming out about Marino, very good, the guy was skilled.

thetruthisoutthere
05-03-2017, 08:19 PM
I know the name of the Michigan forgery (the one who penned that Babe Ruth '700th Hr Ticket'), but it probably isn't his real name.