PDA

View Full Version : New fakes

Bestdj777
04-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

I've noticed a couple of these recently with various things on the back:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/122465536695

One for a cab company and this for a restaurant. I think there was also one with just the year and name on the back. I'm about 99% sure that none of these are period pieces--why would Mantle put out something that looks this cheap and has restaurant misspelled on the back? Anyway, please be cautious when purchasing anything similar to this with type writing on the back. I'm fairly decent at identifying period pieces, so, for anyone that wants, please PM me if you ever want a second set of eyes on a piece.

Thanks,

Chris

Ps. Not disparaging the seller as he notes it could be modern. But others haven't been as transparent with their variations of this fake.

pawpawdiv9
04-27-2017, 02:14 PM
FAKE!!!
Its the same thing with the pre-rook Hank Aaron Clowns card (extremely rare)

Zach Wheat
04-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Yes, there was someone on eBay 24 months ago openly producing & selling "vintage" Mantle pieces very similar to this. I guess they decided to either sell to others that are re-selling or being more circumspect on what they are making & how they are marketing....

Z

Paul S
04-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Wow, Mick even looks too old for that to be his Joplin days. Amazing.

HRBAKER
04-27-2017, 05:05 PM
Even fake spelling

Bestdj777
04-27-2017, 05:43 PM
Yea, the creative use of the English language is a huge red flag. These things could sell all day long at $20.00 as I know I'd be tempted to take a chance if I'd just seen one and the language on the back was more convincing.