PDA

View Full Version : My pet peeve

cardsnstuff
04-16-2017, 08:41 AM
I accept offers on ebay; When I get an offer, (mostly lowball but whatever) I drop what I am doing and generally respond within a couple of min. I check VCP and recent sales and usually make a fair counteroffer.

What bothers me? People don't respond; either accept it, decline it {NBD} or counter. Why spend the time making the offer in the first place if you are not even going to respond to me? 99% of the time they expire because people haven't responded in 2 days.

KingFisk
04-16-2017, 09:01 AM
I am definitely guilty of this, though in 99% of cases where I don't respond, it's because the seller barely moved off of the BIN price so it didn't seem like a deal was going to happen. I don't think I ever noticed that formally declining a seller's counter was an option.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

VintageBen
04-16-2017, 09:08 AM
I usually wait the whole length of time before I accept an offer just to see if I get a better one.

swarmee
04-16-2017, 09:14 AM
I try to respond ASAP as well, but here are some possible reasons that people ghost you once you've made a counteroffer:
1) They're still considering accepting your offer, but decided to put other offers out to sellers of the same card to see if they can beat your price.
2) They're still considering accepting your offer, but have to move money into PayPal or sell something to be able to afford the new price.
3) By allowing the offer to expire, they're showing you (in a passive-aggressive manner) that they don't need the card. So if they come along three days after your counteroffer, they may offer their original price again because you haven't sold the card in the meantime. < "Game theory" theory
4) They are on a cruise and cannot access the internet to see that you counteroffered.
5) They would rather let the counter expire than reject it, and consider angering you. Some people are that timid, and many sellers on eBay will get agitated over flat rejections.
6) They don't care that much. There's no requirement for you to sell it to them, because you have the ability to sell it to anyone else while their offer is outstanding. So there's no harm to you in letting it expire.
7) Ghosting is now a part of culture. Shy people have decided it is better to disappear than to be involved in things they're tired of.

PowderedH2O
04-16-2017, 10:59 AM
I've noticed it far more the other way. At least 15-20% of the time that I make an offer as a buyer, I get no response. This especially annoys me, because essentially for 48 hours I am married to that offer and my funds are tied up because there is a chance that the offer will be accepted. When it is a substantial item, that can cause you to miss out on other deals that may come along, just on the off chance that the seller will respond.

Oh, and as a buyer, if a seller has a "Make Offer" and I offer 85% of the asking price and they come back with a $1 reduction from their BIN, I won't waste my time responding to their response either. I figure they don't really want offers. Game over.

PowderedH2O
04-16-2017, 10:59 AM
I've noticed it far more the other way. At least 15-20% of the time that I make an offer as a buyer, I get no response. This especially annoys me, because essentially for 48 hours I am married to that offer and my funds are tied up because there is a chance that the offer will be accepted. When it is a substantial item, that can cause you to miss out on other deals that may come along, just on the off chance that the seller will respond.

Oh, and as a buyer, if a seller has a "Make Offer" and I offer 85% of the asking price and they come back with a $1 reduction from their BIN, I won't waste my time responding to their response either. I figure they don't really want offers. Game over.

cardsnstuff
04-16-2017, 11:10 AM
I could certainly understand how that would be annoying as a buyer; can't you cancel your offer? in my case that is usually not the case.

I can only speak for myself; sometimes, I may come down very little but usually there is a reason. Either, I am already below VCP or I am the lowest seller by a substantial amount for same card in same grade even if mine may have better eye appeal than similar listed.

RedsFan1941
04-16-2017, 12:10 PM

^^^^^^^^^

excellent points!!!!!!!!!!

irv
04-16-2017, 03:38 PM

I can relate to this fully! Rarely, now, do I even look at BINS. After numerous, reasonable bids, were ignored, on their over the top high priced cards, it has become nothing but a waste of time and effort.

I have no issue with people asking what they want, but if you are going to ignore me, even if your prices are totally unrealistic, then I'm moving on.

pokerplyr80
04-16-2017, 04:15 PM
I usually wait the whole length of time before I accept an offer just to see if I get a better one.

Does that actually work? I have never had a seller send me a lower counter offer unless I sent in a second offer first. Most people don't like negotiating against their own offers.

JustinD
04-16-2017, 06:26 PM

I have the same issues myself, if someone will not drop even 5% I tend to be annoyed enough to move on. I would have rather had a no best offer option because waiting for a weak counter wasted my time.

tschock
04-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Does that actually work? I have never had a seller send me a lower counter offer unless I sent in a second offer first. Most people don't like negotiating against their own offers.

My guess is he meant as a seller, he would wait the 48 hours to see if he received a better offer from a different buyer before accepting (or at least responding to) the original offer from the 1st buyer.

I've done this a couple times, but usually when the offer came within a couple days of the listing, thinking I may have miscalculated the initial value.

7nohitter
04-17-2017, 10:44 AM
So I love the Make an Offer option most of the time. I'd say that 95% of sellers get back to me within an hour, and because I feel I make pretty fair offers most of mine are accepted.

I was looking at some Kershaw Five Star auto that seller had listed for $90 with an offer. I offered $80. He countered at $89. See ya buddy... no thanks.

martyogelvie
04-17-2017, 11:29 AM
If i get an offer on an item that has been listed for a while, i typically will jump on it right away. If i get an offer on a card that i JUST listed (same day) I typically wait to see if the buyer will get anxious and go ahead and BIN or perhaps another buyer will come along and BIN while the offer is still pending. I do NOT let the BIN offer expire.. at least i do not do that purposefully. some might slip through the cracks.

prestigecollectibles
04-17-2017, 12:59 PM
You just set automatic accept or reject and not have to deal with low ball offers.

irv
04-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Is there a date when the card was listed or a way to know if it's been available for a while?

vintagerookies51
04-18-2017, 12:24 PM
As a seller, if I get a lowball offer I typically don't even take the time to go decline it. I think of the 2 day expiration as an automatic decliner. That's only for offers that I question if it's a serious offer or not. If it's a decent offer, I'll at least counter it

wondo
04-18-2017, 01:38 PM
I try to communicate quickly on both ends of the deal. Dragging your feet isn't a good negotiating ploy, it just pisses the other person off. Now, I'm sure I've screwed up and forgotten to respond a couple of times through the years, but it wasnt on purpose. FWIW, I've made several successful deals with offerers who start out with a lowball first offer. You just never know.