PDA

View Full Version : Museum Glass, worth it?

homerunhitter
04-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Hello,
wanted to get the advice of the veteran members/collectors here. When it comes to Museum Glass for displaying my collection (balls, jersey, bats and cards) is it worth the extra cost? does it work? does it really provide better protection from UV for the added cost? For example, for my baseballs, I was thinking of getting one of those wall display cases that holds 9 baseballs. i went and got a quote for museum glass to replace the factory glass and it was quite expensive. so I was wondering if it was worth the extra cost, in your opinion. Thanks

bigfanNY
04-11-2017, 09:58 PM
I have gone to the local hobby lobby or Jo-Anns crafts and ordered Museum glass to replace glass that came with a frame and cost was reasonable and the items do look much better. As for UV protection so far no issues..
J

CW
04-11-2017, 10:47 PM
One factor to consider is the cost of your baseball collection compared to the cost of the museum glass. If you have a lot of old, rare, or expensive baseballs then I would definitely go the museum route.

What is the cost to upgrade the glass? $200? $300?

I have had a couple signed album covers framed by Joann's, and I opted for the museum glass. I didn't do it for the UV protection, rather I did it for the glare reduction. The museum glass cuts down on glare and reflections dramatically.