PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate trade up

Pages : [1] 2

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Scroll to the bottom of this post to track the progress in real time.

Ok so I am going to try something out.

I am attempting to trade up to a 52 Topps Mantle by years end.

I always watched that show and wanted to try it out, and after trading at the Hofstra show the other day it gave me this idea.

I am offering this beautiful T-205 WOJO graded SGC 40. Beautiful card.

I will take the best trade offered to me.

Obviously the WOJO is a easy sell, for whoever gets it. Let's make a deal and watch me get this MANTLE!

PM ME or even put offers here so people can follow along.

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/vogr3ea2.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/vogr3ea2/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/sp1z3027.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/sp1z3027/n-a)

PHASE I:

Started with a Walter Johnson T-205 SGC 4 ($424.00)

Turned it into......

T206 Bender, no trees, psa 4 HOF SOLD $150
T206 McGraw, at hip, psa 3 HOF SOLD $110
T206 McGraw, port w/cap psa 2 HOF SOLD $110
T206 Chase, pink, psa3 SOLD $110
T206 McGraw, finger air, psa2 HOF TRADED
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF TRADED
T206 Pelty, vert, pas 4.5 SOLD $60
T206 McEvlveen, big 4 SOLD $25
1962 topps Mays AS card RAW NM SOLD $20

TRADED T206 Bender, no trees, psa 4 HOF

For

$150
T-206 Rube Marquard SOLD $33
Honus Wagner Original Photo SOLD $55
$238 Total.

TRADED

Plus $15.00

FOR

T206 Tenney Hindu Back SGC 10 TRADED

TRADED

FOR

1964 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG 5 SOLD $120
1962 Topps Switch Hitter Mantle PSA 5 SOLD $30
1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC SGC 60 SOLD $88

So far shipping and fees have run me $54.58, leaving me with $842.42 and the following cards left for sale or trade.

After Phase one I am +$418.42

PHASE II

1933 Sport Kings Babe Ruth SGC 10 Purchased this card for $714.00 Still have $128.42 cash to play with.

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/x3n8eu62.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/x3n8eu62/n-a)
https://sportscardalbum.com/c/8w6mk3oi.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/8w6mk3oi/n-a)

Traded for:

T206 Burch Factory 42 PSA A SOLD $80
T206 Pfeister Factory 42 SGC A TRADED
T206 McIntyre Sweet Caporal SOLD $22
T206 Burch Piedmont 150 SOLD $30
T206 Bresnahan Piedmont 350 SOLD $60
T206 Donovan Sweet Caporal SOLD $22
T206 Jones Piedmont 350 SOLD $33
T206 Bush Piedmont 350 SOLD $22
T206 Schmidt Piedmont 150 SOLD $22
T206 Isbell Piedmont 150 DOUBLE NAME SOLD $27
T206 Collins Sweet Caporal SOLD $50
T206 Foster OLD MILL SOUTHERN LEAGUE SOLD $50
T206 Helm OLD MILL SOUTHERN LEAGUE SOLD $60
T206 Paige OLD MILL SOUTHERN LEAGUE SOLD $51
T206 Crawford El Principe De Gales TRADED/SOLD
T206 Shaughnessy Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 Gutheen Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 Mullin Sweet Caporal TRADED/SOLD
T206 Summers Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 O'Leary Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 Killian Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD

TRADED

T206 Shaughnessy Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 Gutheen Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 Mullin Sweet Caporal TRADED/SOLD
T206 Summers Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 O'Leary Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 Killian Piedmont 350 TRADED/SOLD
T206 Crawford El Principe De Gales TRADED/SOLD

for

T206 Shaughnessy (lesser grade)SOLD $90
T206 Gutheen (lesser grade) SOLD $33
T206 Mullin (lesser grade) SOLD $33
T206 Summers (lesser grade) SOLD $33
T206 O'Leary (lesser grade) SOLD $14
T206 Killian (lesser grade) SOLD
PLUS $200.00

TRADED

T206 Pfeister Factory 42 SGC A

For

1952 Topps Sima PSA 7 NM SOLD $45
1952 Topps Bill Kennedy PSA 7 NM SOLD $50

So far shipping and fees have run me $74.58, leaving me with $1007 + 128.42 (money never spent)

After Phase two I am +$711.42

PHASE III

T206 Sweet Caporal 350-460/30 Ty Cobb Portrait $895 still have $240.42 (money never spent)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/5ttx0vij.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/5ttx0vij/n-a)
https://sportscardalbum.com/c/uw9ao8k9.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/uw9ao8k9/n-a)

Traded For:

1954 Bowman Complete Set VG+/EX with PSA 4 Mantle (All Photos Can Be Seen On Posts #401-#404)

So far shipping and fees have run me $84.58, leaving me with $230.42 (money never spent) and the 1954 Bowman Set.

After Phase three I am +$701.42

PHASE IV

1954 Bowman Complete Set VG+/EX with PSA 4 Mantle (All Photos Can Be Seen On Posts #401-#404) AND $230.42

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/x464s6jx.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/x464s6jx/n-a)

SOLD SET FOR $950.

$950 + $230.42 = $1180.42

Looking to buy the next card.

Leon
04-10-2017, 08:52 AM
This thread would generally go in the BST section. Since it's kind of different let's let it be here this time. If anyone doesn't like it please contact management for a full refund of your membership dues :). Please though, this isn't an open invitation to sell on the front page. You will be beaten severely, above the neck, with a wet noodle if you do. Good luck in the Trade-Up!! (And if this thing gets out of hand it can easily be moved at any time.)

bn2cardz
04-10-2017, 08:56 AM
I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here.

I understand the trading up, but I don't think I have ever seen someone be so blatant about wanting to rip someone off before.

PhillipAbbott79
04-10-2017, 08:57 AM
This requires other people to trade down and lose value. I don't like losing money. Maybe there are others that don't mind or don't have an eye on it.

I am curious to see where this goes.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 09:01 AM
This requires other people to trade down and lose value. I don't like losing money. Maybe there are others that don't mind or don't have an eye on it.

I am curious to see where this goes.

I am not asking for anything in particular. Yes someone would lose value, but a Wojo is a lot easier move for someone than a card they have been trying to move for a year of a high grade nobody etc.

Even if someone would rather have a Wojo than what they currently have and not want to spend the money to get one.

I am not picky so I will take basically anything worth more :)

jb217676
04-10-2017, 09:02 AM
This goal will be tough to achieve making trades with people on Net54.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 09:03 AM
This goal will be tough to achieve making trades with people on Net54.

Probably. But hey, at least I know someone will want this first card. :)

Snapolit1
04-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Kind of thread that could lead to someone quitting the board forever. Just sayin'.

jb217676
04-10-2017, 09:09 AM
It would be easier if you did away with the 1:1 idea. You should trade one card for groups of cards and try to spread out some profit. Nobody is willing to take a hit on one card, but someone might not mind losing $ on a group of unimportant cards if they are getting one great card in return.

x2drich2000
04-10-2017, 09:10 AM
I remember a few years ago someone on the CU board did a similar thing. I don't recall exactly how far they got, but I believe they made a pretty good attempt. The key I think would be to not limit what you'll take and to be open to any type of offer. I think as you get further along it will get more difficult, but in the end, I think you might be surprised. Besides, that's a nice Johnson to start from!

DJ

Republicaninmass
04-10-2017, 09:11 AM
It's already been tried on one of the other boards

Best of luck

bobbyw8469
04-10-2017, 09:19 AM
I remember a few years ago someone on the CU board did a similar thing. I don't recall exactly how far they got, but I believe they made a pretty good attempt. The key I think would be to not limit what you'll take and to be open to any type of offer. I think as you get further along it will get more difficult, but in the end, I think you might be surprised. Besides, that's a nice Johnson to start from!

DJ

The person on CU was able to get their Mantle.

Touch'EmAll
04-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Maybe just sell, er, trade the W. Johnson for cash. Trade some more stuff for cash. Then finally trade the cash for the card you want.

bnorth
04-10-2017, 09:30 AM
The person on CU was able to get their Mantle.

^^That is awesome^^

I remember a few years ago another guy over on BO did a similar thing but don't remember what his goal was. He detailed every transaction down to the penny. It took a very long time but he made it and it was a great thread to fallow.

From what I remember of that thread he made a lot of deals that he traded a high end card for several lower end cards that had a much higher value.

KMayUSA6060
04-10-2017, 09:36 AM
^^That is awesome^^

I remember a few years ago another guy over on BO did a similar thing but don't remember what his goal was. He detailed every transaction down to the penny. It took a very long time but he made it and it was a great thread to fallow.

From what I remember of that thread he made a lot of deals that he traded a high end card for several lower end cards that had a much higher value.

That was a fantastic thread and journey to follow. He did an outstanding job chronicling his moves, expenses, etc.

The only thing about that attempt is I believe he and a buddy actually traveled the country, doing deals in person and such. They brought cards with them to sell to cover expenses, and other cards to sell to build towards their ultimate goal - I as well don't remember what their goal was.

Stephen, good luck. It can be done, but I would refrain from using polarizing statements such as "I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

Bpm0014
04-10-2017, 10:08 AM
A really neat thread this will be to follow... Best of luck!

1952boyntoncollector
04-10-2017, 11:09 AM
\

Stephen, good luck. It can be done, but I would refrain from using polarizing statements such as "I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

Exactly that makes no sense. You are supposed to make deals and you do the work to see if you can get increased value instead of getting charity from people.

Saying that someone's card is harder to sell so they will do a deal with you but its worth more money than your card does not make sense. The card either is or isnt more valuable in your mind.

Anyway, i think you should be buying a particular LOT (there were several low grade T206 Lots recently for example ) at an auction and then spending the time selling the cards of individually and you can document the process. You would be putting in sweat equity to earn a potential profit but at least its feasible to keep making money that way and to reach your ultimate goal..

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Exactly that makes no sense. You are supposed to make deals and you do the work to see if you can get increased value instead of getting charity from people.

Saying that someone's card is harder to sell so they will do a deal with you but its worth more money than your card does not make sense. The card either is or isnt more valuable in your mind.

Anyway, i think you should be buying a particular LOT at an auction and then spending the time selling the cards of individually and you can document the process. You would be putting in sweat equity to earn a potential profit but at least its feasible to keep making money that way and to reach your ultimate goal..

I respectfully disagree. If someone wants the card, and they have somehing they don't want and isn't as desirable, I believe they would rather trade down to what they want than wait for a sale on that item that may take a year.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 11:13 AM
It's a lot easier to do what you are saying.. buy and sell and then buy what I want. That's what everyone does. I am trying to only trade. Dealing with only the cards I'm dealt. That is more entertaining and a. Ore difficult task imo

1952boyntoncollector
04-10-2017, 11:17 AM
It's a lot easier to do what you are saying.. buy and sell and then buy what I want. That's what everyone does. I am trying to only trade. Dealing with only the cards I'm dealt. That is more entertaining and a. Ore difficult task imo

Its more difficult to upgrade a collection by making fair deals at the time and trying to figure out the future market on the card versus getting charity.

If someone wants to downgrade a card for your card then they will want you to come up with cash to make up the difference unless its just charity.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Its more difficult to upgrade a collection by making fair deals at the time and trying to figure out the future market on the card versus getting charity.

If someone wants to downgrade a card for your card then they will want you to come up with cash to make up the difference unless its just charity.

It's not charity. There is no such thing as a "fair trade" sure in a vacuum things can be fair but with the every changing market what's fair today may not be to
Oreos. That being said, I'm not looking for ANY charity. If someone is willing to make a deal they are doing it because they believe it meets their needs too. Obviously you would not be a good partner for what I am trying to achieve. I know if I had a card with 10 and I didn't want it, and someone had a card worth 8... of my card wasn't as liquid, I'd have no problem making a swap knowing I got rid of a tough sell and got what I want. Not trying to convince you. There's no one sayi we have to trade.

1952boyntoncollector
04-10-2017, 11:21 AM
I respectfully disagree. If someone wants the card, and they have somehing they don't want and isn't as desirable, I believe they would rather trade down to what they want than wait for a sale on that item that may take a year.

Is it your contention that this none desirable card you would be obtaining by someone in exchange for your card if it was to sell on ebay alongside with your card in a no reserve auction would sell for the same as yours or less? If thats the case than I understand what your are saying..

You did say you wanted a card that is 'worth more'

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Is it your contention that this none desirable card you would be obtaining by someone in exchange for your card if it was to sell on ebay alongside with your card in a no reserve auction would sell for the same as yours or less? If thats the case than I understand what your are saying..

You did say you wanted a card that is 'worth more'

I want a card that is not as desirable.

Psa 10 of a hi number with a small small market which may not sell well at auction. It to the right buyer is a 900 dollar card. But that buyer may not come for a year. Opportunity cost with what will even the trade out.

frankbmd
04-10-2017, 11:29 AM
1) Start with a 69 Mantle
Trade for a 68 Mantle
Then trade for a 67 Mantle
.....................................'
then trade for a 53 Mantle
and finally trade for a 52 Mantle.

2) Start a thread requesting 17 volunteers to participate in Step 1)

3) Complete 17 trades.

Problem solved.

I will accept your T205 WaJo in exchange for this advice.:eek:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Trade for a 68 Mantle

3) Complete 17 trades.

Problem solved.

Damn I wanted this to be fun but a few people who have already posted on here rain on most of my threads. It's okay. Offer up. Not looking for charity. If you want the card and wanna unload something it'll be easy.

Here's an example.

Yesterday at the show . I had a binder of 80 low grade star cards with a trade in value of maybe 75. Traded 5 cards for a 54 ex oc billly Martin.

Then traded the Martin and rest of the binder for a 66 mantle VG raw (he had triples)

Then traded that mantle for a 55 banks raw ex and 66 Koufax raw ex (he needed a mantle)

Then finally traded that for a psa 5 maris RC. (He had 2)

Trades don't have to be fair if they make sense. That's my point.

bnorth
04-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Trade for a 68 Mantle

3) Complete 17 trades.

Problem solved.

I really like that idea Frank. During the quest you would have owned a complete Topps Mantle run. Stephen could use the T205 WoJo, The 2000 WS bullpen home plate, and the 1952 Topps Mays as his starting point.

T206Collector
04-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Trades don't have to be fair if they make sense.

Best quote ever. Belongs in a fortune cookie!

autograf
04-10-2017, 12:11 PM
I hate to be "that guy" but isn't it WaJo? And that is a really pretty WaJo or WoJo depending on the answer to this. Good luck on the 52 Mantle quest. I need one for my set.............

bn2cardz
04-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Damn I wanted this to be fun but a few people who have already posted on here rain on most of my threads. It's okay. Offer up. Not looking for charity. If you want the card and wanna unload something it'll be easy.

Here's an example.

Yesterday at the show . I had a binder of 80 low grade star cards with a trade in value of maybe 75. Traded 5 cards for a 54 ex oc billly Martin.

Then traded the Martin and rest of the binder for a 66 mantle VG raw (he had triples)

Then traded that mantle for a 55 banks raw ex and 66 Koufax raw ex (he needed a mantle)

Then finally traded that for a psa 5 maris RC. (He had 2)

Trades don't have to be fair if they make sense. That's my point.

Two things that differ from your example and what you did in your original post:
1) I am sure you didn't go to each person telling them you are willing to trade for anything as long as it was "Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

2) You worked in quantities as many people suggested over attempting a 1:1 trade.

There are several times I have traded and was the benefactor of the better end, but I didn't go into it telling the other person that was my objective and they should keep that in mind before attempting the trade. Also I am sure I have been on the other side where I left something on the table, but again that other person didn't leave me feeling like I got the worse end of the deal.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Two things that differ from your example and what you did in your original post:
1) I am sure you didn't go to each person telling them you are willing to trade for anything as long as it was "Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

2) You worked in quantities as many people suggested over attempting a 1:1 trade.

There are several times I have traded and was the benefactor of the better end, but I didn't go into it telling the other person that was my objective and they should keep that in mind before attempting the trade. Also I am sure I have been on the other side where I left something on the table, but again that other person didn't leave me feeling like I got the worse end of the deal.

lol I actually did. I was forth coming. I said hey I have this mantle I will take whatever you want to get rid of that you don't think you can move easily as long as it's worth more than this mantle. Dealers actually said they liked the fact I wasn't wasting their time and we worked together to find a card they didn't mind getting rid of. Trade don't have to be fair if they make sense.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 12:23 PM
I hate to be "that guy" but isn't it WaJo? And that is a really pretty WaJo or WoJo depending on the answer to this. Good luck on the 52 Mantle quest. I need one for my set.............

THANKS A LOT!

Best quote ever. Belongs in a fortune cookie!

Right? I have to explain this to my fantasy baseball league mates constantly.

It's like ok you need steals and I need homers. I'll trade you my (let's say this was 2010) Jose Reyes for your pujols. They are always like ok but you need to throw in some power. lol a trade will never be 100% equal.

clydepepper
04-10-2017, 01:40 PM
This thread would generally go in the BST section. Since it's kind of different let's let it be here this time. If anyone doesn't like it please contact management for a full refund of your membership dues :). Please though, this isn't an open invitation to sell on the front page. You will be beaten severely, above the neck, with a wet noodle if you do. Good luck in the Trade-Up!! (And if this thing gets out of hand it can easily be moved at any time.)

Stephen - I have to disagree with the boss man on this one...IMO, it belongs on BST...after all, the 'T' stands for trade.

bnorth
04-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Stephen - I have to disagree with the boss man on this one...IMO, it belongs on BST...after all, the 'T' stands for trade.

I highly doubt this thread will last long and I agree that it does not belong in the BST section with comments bumping it over people actually trying to sell and trade items.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Let's make a trade. I'm ready and this WOJO can be yours. It takes 2 to trade. Make a offer in here or PM and let the story begin

bn2cardz
04-10-2017, 01:51 PM
lol I actually did. I was forth coming. I said hey I have this mantle I will take whatever you want to get rid of that you don't think you can move easily as long as it's worth more than this mantle. Dealers actually said they liked the fact I wasn't wasting their time and we worked together to find a card they didn't mind getting rid of. Trade don't have to be fair if they make sense.

Then I stand corrected. Good luck. At this point I just keep checking back to see if anyone is willing to do this.

iwantitiwinit
04-10-2017, 03:22 PM
It would be easier if you did away with the 1:1 idea. You should trade one card for groups of cards and try to spread out some profit. Nobody is willing to take a hit on one card, but someone might not mind losing $ on a group of unimportant cards if they are getting one great card in return.

Totally agree with this and was going to say the same before I saw that you posted.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Totally agree with this and was going to say the same before I saw that you posted.

I am down for whatever let's make a deal :)

quinnsryche
04-10-2017, 04:09 PM
2 questions - What do you value the WoJo at? I think most of us would need to know the starting point before making an offer. Are you only open to trading for other cards or what else? I mean, autographs, memorabilia, which sports etc.? I'd be curious to see what is acceptable in trade.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 04:24 PM
I value wojo at 700 in trade. It's a strong price but I have 7 watchers on eBay at 700 so I think it's not far fetched in trade. I'm open to anything really. even a large lot of it was worth my time. Even 3-4 200-250 cards. I'm not picky. I want everyone to be happy in the deal

Bestdj777
04-10-2017, 04:29 PM
I've got a PSA 1 1952 Topps Mantle that I would be willing to trade if you some how end up with a 1952 Topps Mantle in PSA 2 or better and decide you then want to start trading in the opposite direction.

Bored5000
04-10-2017, 04:39 PM
I value wojo at 700 in trade. It's a strong price but I have 7 watchers on eBay at 700 so I think it's not far fetched in trade.

You have just given hope to the seller hoping to get $750,000 for a trophy presented to Ed Delahanty. :D There are 18 watchers for that listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-PITCHER-TROPHY-ENGRAVED-PRESENTED-BY-WM-E-GRADY-TO-ED-DELAHANTY-1900-/331914315180?hash=item4d47a285ac:g:JJ0AAOSw-FZXj-au

Here is a Babe Ruth cut auto for sale at $95,000 with 158 people watching:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-2001-Sweet-Spot-Signatures-Classic-Signed-Cut-Autograph-1-1-Auto-/142004925065?hash=item2110273289:g:D5QAAOSwa81XRml 9

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 04:46 PM
I've got a PSA 1 1952 Topps Mantle that I would be willing to trade if you some how end up with a 1952 Topps Mantle in PSA 2 or better and decide you then want to start trading in the opposite direction.

You have just given hope to the seller hoping to get $750,000 for a trophy presented to Ed Delahanty. :D There are 18 watchers for that listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-PITCHER-TROPHY-ENGRAVED-PRESENTED-BY-WM-E-GRADY-TO-ED-DELAHANTY-1900-/331914315180?hash=item4d47a285ac:g:JJ0AAOSw-FZXj-au

Here is a Babe Ruth cut auto for sale at $95,000 with 158 people watching:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Babe-Ruth-2001-Sweet-Spot-Signatures-Classic-Signed-Cut-Autograph-1-1-Auto-/142004925065?hash=item2110273289:g:D5QAAOSwa81XRml 9

Yea those are the same things. The average vcp on my card is 800. So I think they want watching because I have it priced right. Thanks for taking the time to try to make me look bad rather than adding to the thread. Way to be champ.

Bestdj777
04-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Yea those are the same things. The average vcp on my card is 800. So I think they want watching because I have it priced right. Thanks for taking the time to try to make me look bad rather than adding to the thread. Way to be champ.

Mine was a legit offer :) I look forward to following the thread and hope you get there! It may be worth doing some trading at shows since you seem to have a good handle on it and then reporting back here with your acquisitions.

steve B
04-10-2017, 04:55 PM
I get everyones point, but think many of us are missing Stephens point.

I don't have anything in this price range that I want to trade, but a lot of cards I have were bought in ...............Lets just say a long time ago when they were cheap. If I had something I just wasn't really into anymore that was worth maybe a little bit more but I'd paid a lot less, and had decided to collect T205s this might be a pretty good deal.

Whether that person is here or not is the question, and I suppose we'll see.

I will say that I've done a few trades here for more modern stuff and have tried to give more than I got, with little success. Most of the guys I've traded with are just too generous. Or perhaps want the brownie points with their wives for clearing out some cards more than I do. :) (I also tend to have a smaller pile of extras, which doesn't help at times.)

Steve B

Bored5000
04-10-2017, 05:00 PM

I wasn't trying to be a jerk to you. My point was that the number of watchers doesn't matter. Your card might sell or it might not, but there are items that sit on eBay for years with lots of watchers and no buyers. I have things that have been on my watch list for many months to see if the seller ever lowers the price or goes to an auction format.

quinnsryche
04-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Ok, I'm first up. I will offer the following:

Full size Riddell Philadelphia Eagles football helmet signed by Donovan McNabb ($250).
Hard cover books signed by: Kareen Abdul Jabbar ($50), Tommy Lasorda ($50), Walt Frazier ($40), Joe Garagiola ($30), Whitey Herzog ($40) & Billy Martin ($100).
1957 Topps 42 card lot (average vg cond.) 1/2 stars-1/2 commons ($150).
1977 New York Yankees World Series Press Pin ($100).
Pete Rose and Ron Santo single signed baseballs ($60).
1982 Cracker Jack Old Timers Game windbreaker worn on field, owned and signed by Lefty Gomez. ($100).
First Day Cover signed by Gerald Ford ($50).
1956 Topps pin of Dale Long ($20).

I tried to be as diverse as possible in the trade offer. Prices in parenthesis are what I feel are fair values. I have offered over $1000 worth of items for the T205 WaJo. Please let me know if you have any interest. I don't have cards per se for trade but I don have alot of autographs (pictures, cards, memorabilia) and programs, press pins etc. available.
Let's see if we can work something out.
Tony

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 06:45 PM
This just made me smile. Email send tony. Let's go!

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-10-2017, 06:56 PM

I think it may be inartfully expressed ITT, but as a dealer I trade for profit all the time. It certainly should be doable. Maybe he shouldn't tell people he wants them to trade down, it comes across as vaguely insulting. Instead just offer the very nice Wajo up for trade and work hard at getting an offer that works for the goal without basically telling people you are out to get the better of them. Obviously when trading with a dealer people expect to lose some value, but I don't rub their noses in it.

Yoda
04-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Leon, I know I am a grumpy old man, but this thread is worst case of group mass mental masturbation I have ever seen and does not belong on Net 54. Your call.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Leon, I know I am a grumpy old man, but this thread is worst case of group mass mental masturbation I have ever seen and does not belong on Net 54. Your call.

That's just mean lol

bnorth
04-10-2017, 08:31 PM
If you complete the trade with Tony I have this offer. I would trade the card pictured for the 4 common T205 cards I PMed you about earlier and the Pete Rose/Ron Santo single signed baseballs from the trade with Tony.

This is the 5th card Beckett ever graded and a great piece of Beckett history. It is from the companies internal test run of 10 cards before any cards were graded for the public. This is super cool/special because it is a card of Jim Beckett III the founder of Beckett. From my understanding 3 of the 10 original cards graded are the Jim Beckett III Topps Stadium of Stars cards.

As far as value, I value it the same as 4 common T205's and 2 single signed baseballs.:)

maddux311
04-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Here is the thread from the CU board that has been mentioned:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/864282/the-quest-to-earn-a-mickey-mantle-1952-topps-by-the-national-1952-topps-mickey-mantle-1933-goude/p1

He took an entirely different approach, rather than just trading up.

^Also, I am glad to see that BGS graded one of the subgrades accurately(Corners-4).

pokerplyr80
04-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Here is the thread from the CU board that has been mentioned:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/864282/the-quest-to-earn-a-mickey-mantle-1952-topps-by-the-national-1952-topps-mickey-mantle-1933-goude/p1

He took an entirely different approach, rather than just trading up.

^Also, I am glad to see that BGS graded one of the subgrades accurately(Corners-4).

I read through the first couple pages. That route seems like the way to go. Sell the Johnson and use the funds to buy and flip cards until you earn enough profit for a Mantle. Assuming you're able to trade the Johnson for a more obscure or less in demand $1000 card, the chances of repeating that process and working your way up to 5 or 6k seem low at best. Good luck either way.

Leon
04-11-2017, 07:11 AM
I disagree. It isn't hurting anyone, I don't think? Why not have some fun? If anyone doesn't like the thread they don't have to click it.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-11-2017, 07:23 AM
I have 4 possible trades in the works! Let's see what happens!!

D.P.Johnson
04-11-2017, 07:30 AM
I disagree. It isn't hurting anyone, I don't think? Why not have some fun? If anyone doesn't like the thread they don't have to click it.

Agree.
These types of threads help educate me about negotiating/trading, and the psychology behind it.
It also helps me learn which members to steer clear of in the future.

7nohitter
04-11-2017, 07:51 AM
I think this is a fun, harmless (so far) thread. I like the potential here and I don't understand why anyone needs to post anything negative.

Good luck with your journey!

martyogelvie
04-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Good Luck Stephen.
Like i tell the kids on my 12u team. You can't hit the ball if you don't SWING the bat! :)

KMayUSA6060
04-11-2017, 08:06 AM
If you complete the trade with Tony I have this offer. I would trade the card pictured for the 4 common T205 cards I PMed you about earlier and the Pete Rose/Ron Santo single signed baseballs from the trade with Tony.

This is the 5th card Beckett ever graded and a great piece of Beckett history. It is from the companies internal test run of 10 cards before any cards were graded for the public. This is super cool/special because it is a card of Jim Beckett III the founder of Beckett. From my understanding 3 of the 10 original cards graded are the Jim Beckett III Topps Stadium of Stars cards.

As far as value, I value it the same as 4 common T205's and 2 single signed baseballs.:)

This is an error card, to boot. :p

Van West, OH, doesn't exist. Van Wert, OH, does. How does Beckett, screw up Beckett's card? :rolleyes:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Good Luck Stephen.
Like i tell the kids on my 12u team. You can't hit the ball if you don't SWING the bat! :)

I used to play MVP baseball back in 2000.. The best quote from the game was the announcer (believe it is the Giants annoucers in the game going... "you can't hit the ball if you don't swing the bat meat"

Bpm0014
04-11-2017, 08:10 AM
I think this is a fun, harmless (so far) thread. I like the potential here and I don't understand why anyone needs to post anything negative.

Good luck with your journey!

Exactly! Some of you should be ashamed to call yourself "men". Stop crying and whining. It's a fun thread. If you don't like the idea, MYOB or don't open the thread. The Wimpification of America at its finest....

bnorth
04-11-2017, 08:29 AM
This is an error card, to boot. :p

Van West, OH, doesn't exist. Van Wert, OH, does. How does Beckett, screw up Beckett's card? :rolleyes:

It is a Topps issued card so Topps screwed up. Cool find, I would have never noticed that.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-11-2017, 08:30 AM
It is a Topps issued card so Topps screwed up. Cool find, I would have never noticed that.

DAMN KYLE! Now he's gonna want more!

KMayUSA6060
04-11-2017, 08:35 AM

True, but Beckett still graded it. Should designate it like the Billy Ripken FF card. :)

bnorth
04-11-2017, 08:50 AM
True, but Beckett still graded it. Should designate it like the Billy Ripken FF card. :)

I had to go look and found a few other Jim Beckett Topps Stadium of Stars cards and they all had it wrong so it is most likely a uncorrected error. I also have serial #007 and it is also Van West.

After looking I do think I had mine highly undervalued and am glad Stephen declined my offer.:)

Leon
04-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Beckett has encased some interesting, to say the least, cards...Superfan... I should add, I kind of like the one of him above.....

Paul S
04-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Can't make up my mind who has the better clown costume - Dr. B in that shirt or Superfan:)

JustinD
04-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Can't make up my mind who has the better clown costume - Dr. B in that shirt or Superfan:)

Early 90's had some rough fashion selections as I remember.

Griffins
04-11-2017, 10:29 AM

Be thankful if you didn't grow up in the 70's.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Beckett has encased some interesting, to say the least, cards...Superfan... I should add, I kind of like the one of him above.....

Who the heck is super fan haha

Paul S
04-11-2017, 11:54 AM

Be thankful if you didn't grow up in the 70's.

^^^ Was just about to say that before I saw you beat me to it. Still waiting for the polyester two-piece to make a comeback. What's your zodiac sign?

nebboy
04-11-2017, 12:21 PM
We just make a deal by PMs to do the 1st deal on this quest:

I'll make the following offer:
T206 Bender, no trees, psa 4 HOF
T206 McGraw, at hip, psa 3 HOF
T206 McGraw, port w/cap psa 2 HOF
T206 McGraw, finger air, psa2 HOF
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 Chase, pink, psa3
T206 Pelty, vert, psa 4.5
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
kicker - a very nice raw NM range 62 topps Mays AS card

For your:
SGC 3 - T205 WaJo

((((((UPDATE))))))) card received in in very timely manner, package very well. Everything as should be. Thank you

Scans on my Net54 album
http://www.net54baseball.com/album.php?albumid=722

Thank You - I'm happy and GoodLuck with the quest!!!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-11-2017, 12:34 PM

T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 Chase, pink, psa3
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4

For your:
PSA 3 - T205 WaJo

Scans on my Net54 album

Great meeting you and I look forward to many many more deals with you!

Obviously these cards are now available for trade or sale so please Inquire.

Lets GO! one step closer.

KingFisk
04-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Sending PM

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Aquarian Sports Cards
04-11-2017, 06:46 PM

T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 Chase, pink, psa3
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4

For your:
SGC 3 - T205 WaJo

Scans on my Net54 album

Damn I wish I had an SGC 40 Wajo!

asoriano
04-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Stephen - Were you planning on pulling the Johnson from eBay at some point? Just wondering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walter-Johnson-HOF-1911-T205-Gold-Border-SGC-40-GRADED-RARE-/262826287505?hash=item3d31aae191:g:THIAAOSwopRYi6M W

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Stephen - Were you planning on pulling the Johnson from eBay at some point? Just wondering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walter-Johnson-HOF-1911-T205-Gold-Border-SGC-40-GRADED-RARE-/262826287505?hash=item3d31aae191:g:THIAAOSwopRYi6M W

That would probably be a good idea lol done

Leon
04-12-2017, 06:21 AM
That would probably be a good idea lol done

Looking at your first trade you might end up with a whole lot of lower end cards but you will have fun doing it!!

Yoda
04-12-2017, 01:21 PM

After finally getting well-needed rest, I reread this threat and realized that I sounded like the 'Grinch that Stole Xmas.' I think the idea of a Trade Up adventure is terrific, particular for a vison quest card like a T'52 Mantle. But I guess I was thinking that the main board should be reserved for more weighty hobby issues. God knows in a new post-Mastro era we have enough.
Leon, would it be possible to establish a trade link for T/U next to B/S/T?
John

ullmandds
04-12-2017, 01:47 PM
i wish you the best in your endeavor...I kinda remember some newbie...eager beaver trying to do the same for a wagner...that obviously did not happen!!!!

best of luck to you though!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-12-2017, 01:55 PM
i wish you the best in your endeavor...I kinda remember some newbie...eager beaver trying to do the same for a wagner...that obviously did not happen!!!!

best of luck to you though!

Thanks a lot!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Ok here is what I have to work with....

T206 McGraw, at hip, psa 3 HOF SOLD
T206 McGraw, port w/cap psa 2 HOF SOLD
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 Chase, pink, psa3 SOLD
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4

I will take scans as soon as they come in tomorrow.

Who wants to make a trade for the remaining cards? They are for sale too just come with a strong offer. Once these are gone I will turn them into 1 card and we will start over again! Let's go!

slidekellyslide
04-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Ok here is what I have to work with....

T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4

I will take scans as soon as they come in tomorrow.

Who wants to make a trade for the remaining cards? They are for sale too just come with a strong offer. Once these are gone I will turn them into 1 card and we will start over again! Let's go!

Good luck Stephen, looks like you are on your way. I'm rooting for you and this should be fun to watch.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-13-2017, 10:48 AM
UPDATE!!!!!

T206 Bender, no trees, psa 4 HOF SOLD/TRADE
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4

New Additions via trade

T-206 Rube Marquard hands at thighs FAIR
Original Honus Wagner Photo 5X7 with trophies and bats (scans coming later)

Let's go!!! Offer up boys before this batch is gone!

Bpm0014
04-13-2017, 11:16 AM
The original Honus Wagner photo sounds really neat!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-13-2017, 11:35 AM
The original Honus Wagner photo sounds really neat!

I'll upload soon!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-13-2017, 03:51 PM
UPDATE!!!!!

T206 Bender, no trees, psa 4 HOF SOLD/TRADE
T206 McGraw, finger air, past HOF TRADE
T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4

New Additions for trade or sale

T-206 Rube Marquard hands at thighs FAIR

Original Honus Wagner Photo 5X7 with trophies and bats

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/a02o5983.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/a02o5983/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/4u1m1ef7.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/4u1m1ef7/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/7lmwaj38.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/7lmwaj38/n-a)

Let's go!!! Offer up boys before this batch is gone!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-14-2017, 12:37 PM
UPDATE!!!

These are the beauties that are left.

Make offers on what's left!!

T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
T-206 Rube Marquard hands at thighs RAW FAIR
Original Honus Wagner Photo 5X7 with trophies and bats

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/1rc31342.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/1rc31342/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/a2po31pn.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/a2po31pn/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/p991onn1.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/p991onn1/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/uo9on62e.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/uo9on62e/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/798p1t3x.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/798p1t3x/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/01bfl554.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/01bfl554/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/6wdr7e5h.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/6wdr7e5h/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/z9v7syuv.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/z9v7syuv/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/a02o5983.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/a02o5983/n-a)

nebboy
04-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Everything perfect with 1st trade completed on the way to your 52T Mantle goal.
Thank you and good luck!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Trade fell through. This now available for sale or trade!

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/i4924o1q.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/i4924o1q/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/h34lwff5.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/h34lwff5/n-a)

wondo
04-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Trade successfully completed and cards received promptly. FUN!

KingFisk
04-17-2017, 04:18 PM
Got my cards today, packaged nicely and received very quickly. Thanks for the great transaction, Stephen and good luck on the journey.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-17-2017, 04:56 PM
trade successfully completed and cards received promptly. Fun!

thanks!

got my cards today, packaged nicely and received very quickly. Thanks for the great transaction, stephen and good luck on the journey.

Sent from my sm-g920v using tapatalk

i appreciate it! Thanks

CMIZ5290
04-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Congrats on the trade. You offered me the SGC 40 T205 Johnson ($500 card) for my SGC 70 T206 Dahlen Brooklyn ($1000-1200 card). I don't know why I did not pull the trigger.....My loss:rolleyes:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Congrats on the trade. You offered me the SGC 40 T205 Johnson ($500 card) for my SGC 70 T206 Dahlen Brooklyn ($1000-1200 card). I don't know why I did not pull the trigger.....My loss:rolleyes:

I'd like to disagree on your $500 appraisal of my Johnson. It's a $700 card and someone else thinks so too obviously. :p and that Dahlen isn't a very easy sell.

bnorth
04-17-2017, 05:44 PM

He is trying to trade up.:eek::D

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-17-2017, 05:49 PM
He is trying to trade up.:eek::D

Keeeeep breaking balls boys

pokerplyr80
04-17-2017, 06:02 PM

You can't go from a $500 or $700 card to a 52 mantle without making a few favorable trades along the way.

CMIZ5290
04-17-2017, 06:23 PM
You can't go from a $500 or $700 card to a 52 mantle without making a few favorable trades along the way.

You're right Jesse, I don't know what I've been thinking....Stephen, please get back to me...

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-17-2017, 06:33 PM
You're right Jesse, I don't know what I've been thinking....Stephen, please get back to me...

Just don't come creeping in my PM box when I have something you need if you're gonna talk smack. Unless you wanna throw me that dahlen lol

ronniehatesjazz
04-17-2017, 07:05 PM
I was cracking up at work today reading this thread. It's like an honest Mr. Mint or something. I see nothing wrong with a guy offering liquidity to a marketplace, especially if he's being upfront about it. I've been looking to take a break buying/trading but I may be interested to take him up at some point. Regardless, i hope to see the swashbuckling shenanigans continue.

wondo
04-17-2017, 07:20 PM
My experience in this was interesting. Stephen and I debated the merits / feasibility of his trade strategy - it was done politely. I sent a lot over for consideration and we bantered a bit, but a deal was quickly done. Now, Stephen and I are polar opposites on the intense scale. Wasn't a problem. When we did do a trade, it couldn't have been two more different lots of cards; we obviously valued them differently. Much fun!!

Leon
04-18-2017, 07:13 AM
That is very cool. Glad to hear this is the type thing going on....

My experience in this was interesting. Stephen and I debated the merits / feasibility of his trade strategy - it was done politely. I sent a lot over for consideration and we bantered a bit, but a deal was quickly done. Now, Stephen and I are polar opposites on the intense scale. Wasn't a problem. When we did do a trade, it couldn't have been two more different lots of cards; we obviously valued them differently. Much fun!!

Bpm0014
04-18-2017, 08:58 AM
My experience was also favorable. We texted back and forth for a day or so and came to an agreement. I hope to do another deal with him in the future for sure.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Hit the nail on the head!

My experience was also favorable. We texted back and forth for a day or so and came to an agreement. I hope to do another deal with him in the future for sure.

My man

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Ok boys. Here is where we stand.

Started with a WOJO/WAJO.

I am now left with

T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
a very nice raw NM range 62 topps Mays AS card
T-206 Rube Marquard
Honus Wagner Photo

Make a offer for some or all. We will then go on to the next stage.

Remember. I am not picky.

ZenPop
04-18-2017, 04:51 PM
I hope you end up with that '52 Mantle instead of being shell shocked with only an '87 Topps Lasorda card to show for this. (the horror!)

For the record... I love the whole trading cards thing...

It brings back the spirit of original card collecting.
(can you believe it? Giants and Dodgers fans agreeing?!!!)

I collect original baseball artwork, and I'd love to trade some of my pieces to get ones featuring Giants instead of other teams...

Best of luck!!!

Leon
04-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Your T206s should move fine. But like the last member said, I hope you don't trade from a T206 Wajo to a Donruss Joe Schmo at end......

I am now left with

T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
T-206 Rube Marquard
Honus Wagner Photo

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Your T206s should move fine. But like the last member said, I hope you don't trade from a T206 Wajo to a Donruss Joe Schmo at end......

Wait. This 87 Topps card is bad? I call trade backs!

bn2cardz
04-19-2017, 08:44 AM

I am now left with

T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
T-206 Rube Marquard
Honus Wagner Photo

You aren't just left with this are you? You also have some funds from previous sales correct?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-19-2017, 08:53 AM
You aren't just left with this are you? You also have some funds from previous sales correct?

Correct.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-19-2017, 09:00 AM
Here is what's left. Gonna give this till Sunday before throwing them up for ebay 7 day auction.

Better Photos:

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/p8gpmjkp.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/p8gpmjkp/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/84nr4yc2.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/84nr4yc2/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/42zs5ex5.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/42zs5ex5/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/4054h28m.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/4054h28m/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/fq141999.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/fq141999/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/5jti8h55.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/5jti8h55/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/6r6xx5i8.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/6r6xx5i8/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/xoji9j8y.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/xoji9j8y/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/6yf2444x.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/6yf2444x/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/86toh41r.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/86toh41r/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/eip420xh.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/eip420xh/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/4388s0s8.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/4388s0s8/n-a)

KingFisk
04-19-2017, 10:55 AM
I am following this with interest as I got three really nice cards for my T206 pursuit and am wishing Stephen all the best in his pursuit. I had a question for those in the know as I know nothing about photographs, but that Wagner piece is pretty cool. Does anyone have an opinion on what that might be worth on the open market? I am not interested in acquiring, just wondering what something like that would go for to a collector of such things. I guess it might be hard to tell from just a scan, but for my own edification, throwing the question out there.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-19-2017, 11:03 AM
I am following this with interest as I got three really nice cards for my T206 pursuit and am wishing Stephen all the best in his pursuit. I had a question for those in the know as I know nothing about photographs, but that Wagner piece is pretty cool. Does anyone have an opinion on what that might be worth on the open market? I am not interested in acquiring, just wondering what something like that would go for to a collector of such things. I guess it might be hard to tell from just a scan, but for my own edification, throwing the question out there.

A Trillionnn Dollars

ullmandds
04-19-2017, 11:04 AM

im not a big photo guy but i see everything!!!!! I'd say a few hundred bucks for the wags photo.

KingFisk
04-19-2017, 11:22 AM
A Trillionnn Dollars
Haha. Of course!

rats60
04-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Haha. Of course!

I bet he would trade it for a lot less...like for a Mantle.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-19-2017, 12:11 PM
I bet he would trade it for a lot less...like for a Mantle.

Rather have the trillion lol

bn2cardz
04-19-2017, 12:11 PM

2 years ago that exact copy sold for $42.08 in an RMY auction. It was also advertised as a WIRE.

http://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=9222

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-19-2017, 12:13 PM
2 years ago that exact copy sold for $42.08 in an RMY auction. It was also advertised as a WIRE.

http://rmyauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=9222

Awesome! Now I know exactly what I have.

Good thing the photo market boomed since then :)

Bpm0014
04-19-2017, 01:01 PM
I'd say a few hundred bucks for the wags photo.

I'm not sure it would be that high. Maybe to the right collector though. I'd say $75-$200 would be a good estimate. Photos have also completely exploded in the last year (especially Ruth, Gehrig, and Joe Jackson). Photos that used to go for $50 a couple of years ago now easily go into the hundreds if not thousands.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Well I do not want this damn photo lol does someone want it in a trade?

Let's go! I'd sell it too!

KingFisk
04-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Good stuff, everyone. Always found vintage photo collecting interesting as the ignoramus that I am. Never realized it was such a robust market before reading about it on here. I always just assumed the money was in negatives but not necessarily in the actual developed prints which theoretically could have been struck limitlessly. Guess it's like anything else with scarcity and demand.

bn2cardz
04-19-2017, 01:53 PM
I'd say a few hundred bucks for the wags photo.

I'm not sure it would be that high. Maybe to the right collector though. I'd say $75-$200 would be a good estimate. Photos have also completely exploded in the last year (especially Ruth, Gehrig, and Joe Jackson). Photos that used to go for $50 a couple of years ago now easily go into the hundreds if not thousands.

That is a very generous estimate. If it is a Wire, as it was originally advertised, I don't see a non playing Wagner Wire selling for over $100. Wire photos do not carry the demand originals do. Neither do post playing day photos compared to playing days. I think the $40 it sold for in 2015 is about what I would expect it to receive today. Now if it turns out it isn't really a Wire as Rhys originally claimed, then it is possible it sells/trades for a slightly higher price.

conor912
04-19-2017, 03:40 PM
That is a very generous estimate. If it is a Wire, as it was originally advertised, I don't see a non playing Wagner Wire selling for over $100. Wire photos do not carry the demand originals do. Neither do post playing day photos compared to playing days. I think the $40 it sold for in 2015 is about what I would expect it to receive today. Now if it turns out it isn't really a Wire as Rhys originally claimed, then it is possible it sells/trades for a slightly higher price.

Agreed. Even though image quality can vary wildly on wire photos, even the best rarely sell for more than $50.

Dewey
04-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Edit...nevermind, you were totally right... Regardless, I agree with you on the price.

Fun thread! Good luck.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-20-2017, 12:13 PM
No offers on the remaining cards?

Gonna hit ebay for a 10 day auction soon.

ullmandds
04-20-2017, 01:02 PM
I would throw it up for auction on the Buy sell thread... you can't lose momentum !😬

Luke
04-20-2017, 01:03 PM
I saw your T206 Overall on ebay. In my opinion, in order to have any chance of reaching your goal within a few years rather than decades, you need to churn through your "inventory" and turn it into new stuff. If you had millions of dollars worth of cards, you could price stuff like Dean's and not care if you only sell a few things per week. The Overall is a $30 card if you're lucky. Listing it for $100 is just shooting yourself in the foot. You won't get any offers and your trade up inventory will just sit stagnant. Again, my opinion, but I think you need to just get someone to pay $30 and roll that $30 into something else.

It's been fun to follow along, I'm rooting for you.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-20-2017, 01:05 PM
I saw your T206 Overall on ebay. In my opinion, in order to have any chance of reaching your goal within a few years rather than decades, you need to churn through your "inventory" and turn it into new stuff. If you had millions of dollars worth of cards, you could price stuff like Dean's and not care if you only sell a few things per week. The Overall is a $30 card if you're lucky. Listing it for $100 is just shooting yourself in the foot. You won't get any offers and your trade up inventory will just sit stagnant. Again, my opinion, but I think you need to just get someone to pay $30 and roll that $30 into something else.

It's been fun to follow along, I'm rooting for you.

The overall is not part of the trade up. That's why it's priced as such. Only what is listed in this thread is available. That was a different trade that didn't involve the Walter Johnson. Ps it's best offer so someone can offer anything.

Luke
04-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Ah ok, my mistake.

CMIZ5290
04-20-2017, 05:49 PM
I would throw it up for auction on the Buy sell thread... you can't lose momentum !😬

Right! Put em on Ebay and see what happens....

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Right! Put em on Ebay and see what happens....

How bout nooooo mini me

CMIZ5290
04-20-2017, 05:52 PM
How bout nooooo mini me

??? English please...

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-20-2017, 05:53 PM
??? English please...

How. Bout. Noooooo. Mini . Me

CMIZ5290
04-20-2017, 06:04 PM
How. Bout. Noooooo. Mini . Me

Can we still do a 2-1 trade value in your favor (trade up)? I really want you to get that 52 Mantle....

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Can we still do a 2-1 trade value in your favor (trade up)? I really want you to get that 52 Mantle....

Of course we can. Pm me and let's make it happen

CMIZ5290
04-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Of course we can. Pm me and let's make it happen

Sent you a trade proposal....:rolleyes:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Sent you a trade proposal....:rolleyes:

Didn't get anything. Are you sure you're not just messing around?

CMIZ5290
04-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Didn't get anything. Are you sure you're not just messing around?

No, not at all. This is actually a 3-1 trade value based upon current VCP prices....I want you to have that Mantle...

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-20-2017, 06:56 PM
No, not at all. This is actually a 3-1 trade value based upon current VCP prices....I want you to have that Mantle...

I didn't get anything. Oh man. You can post it here for everyone to see I don't mind.

wondo
04-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Hey, I'd like to see the offer! Kevin has a great inventory. I hope,though, that the offer is genuine and not just yanking the chain of a fellow board member when it comes to doing a deal.

CMIZ5290
04-20-2017, 07:37 PM
Hey, I'd like to see the offer! Kevin has a great inventory. I hope,though, that the offer is genuine and not just yanking the chain of a fellow board member when it comes to doing a deal.

John....Seriously? This freaking guy is a mooch....Stephen, shoot Jeff Lichtman an email with your wants....:D

Leon
04-20-2017, 07:40 PM

Don't post in this thread again.

wondo
04-20-2017, 07:43 PM
John....Seriously? This freaking guy is a mooch....Stephen, shoot Jeff Lichtman an email with your wants....:D

Kevin,
Waddya mean am I serious? I am dead serious. Are you saying that Your offer isn't real? So, if I don't like someone it's ok if I lie about making an offer on his cards? Poor form; poor form.

Leon
04-20-2017, 07:45 PM
If he (hi Kevin) posts in this thread again he will be suspended.
You can take it to email or PM with him. That behavior won't be tolerated here. He can start crap on some other board not this one.

Kevin,
Waddya mean am I serious? I am dead serious. Are you saying that Your offer isn't real? So, if I don't like someone it's ok if I lie about making an offer on his cards? Poor form; poor form.

Bpm0014
04-20-2017, 08:05 PM
I'm on the sidelines for this but really want to see this concept succeed. Kevin is kind of a jerk for no reason. Always has to comment on other people's threads. Not cool man. If you don't like what he's doing then that's fine. Move along to another thread. You kind of think you're better than everyone else from what I read. You're not. And I REALLY need a card that you have but would never buy it off of you because of how you treat others on here. Maybe you'll change one day.

Leon
04-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Hey guys and girls
Let's don't sling any other comments Kevin's way in this thread as it isn't fair that he can't respond, please. I think most of us are on the same page here. This thread and game isn't hurting anyone and some members are having fun watching and participating. We need more interesting things not less...carry on and good luck to Stephen...

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-21-2017, 08:09 AM
Hey guys and girls
Let's don't sling any other comments Kevin's way in this thread as it isn't fair that he can't respond, please. I think most of us are on the same page here. This thread and game isn't hurting anyone and some members are having fun watching and participating. We need more interesting things not less...carry on and good luck to Stephen...

Fair enough haha

Anyways, Hi everyone, it's me the mooch.

Lets move a few of these items today.

I'll move the RUBE T-206 for $35 DLVD and that Wagner Photo for $50 DLVD orrrr take both of them for $80.

I have been getting trade offers on the T-206's that are graded, however I would much rather sell them, as I can't really down grade much from these cards, unless you want to offer 1 card for them then that may be easier for what I am trying to accomplish. will sell every graded card a VCP. Let's go boys. Give these puppies a new home and get ready for the next card I buy once these cards are gone.

Any recommendations for the next card I buy? something in the 800-1000 range. Thanks

packs
04-21-2017, 08:11 AM
I would look for a SGC 10 or SGC 15 Cobb T206 with nice eye appeal. I think you could get one for around $1,000 and it would be a desirable card for a lot of people with things to trade who want a Cobb.

1952boyntoncollector
04-21-2017, 08:14 AM
Fair enough haha

Anyways, Hi everyone, it's me the mooch.

Lets move a few of these items today.

I'll move the RUBE T-206 for $35 DLVD and that Wagner Photo for $50 DLVD orrrr take both of them for $80.

I have been getting trade offers on the T-206's that are graded, however I would much rather sell them, as I can't really down grade much from these cards, unless you want to offer 1 card for them then that may be easier for what I am trying to accomplish. will sell every graded card a VCP. Let's go boys. Give these puppies a new home and get ready for the next card I buy once these cards are gone.

Any recommendations for the next card I buy? something in the 800-1000 range. Thanks

When you get the mantle, how long do you plan on keeping it or do you already know how you wish to display it People that are giving you deals that are helping you inch your way toward that goal may want to know.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-21-2017, 08:21 AM
When you get the mantle, how long do you plan on keeping it or do you already know how you wish to display it People that are giving you deals that are helping you inch your way toward that goal may want to know.

And whoever has traded with me already can feel free to ask.

1952boyntoncollector
04-22-2017, 09:59 AM

People who may consider trading with you may want to know as well. Not sure why its a secret to everyone else

irv
04-22-2017, 10:10 AM
People who may consider trading with you may want to know as well. Not sure why its a secret to everyone else

When you purchase a card from someone here or an A/H, do they ask what your plans are with the card?

Odd question, imo, Jake. :confused:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-22-2017, 10:13 AM
When you purchase a card from someone here or an A/H, do they ask what your plans are with the card?

It's ok irv. Jakes never contributed anything positive to any of my treads since I joined. Why start now?

1952boyntoncollector
04-23-2017, 06:54 AM

Of course not. But this situation is unlike most situations. He is asking for people to go out of their way to help and he has stated his goal (get a mantle). I know if he planned on selling the card a day after getting the mantle, i would want to know that.

Another example would be if someone says they need me to take lesser money for a card than i normally would because they needed medication and were going to sell the card to help them get funds for that. So i do the deal only to learn that it was not true.

Again, people dont have to follow through with what they say but i am just giving you a reason why asking him what he plans to do with the mantle isnt out of line considering this whole thread is about him getting a mantle based on the net54 community helping him out.

I really do not think me asking "what do you plan on doing with the mantle once you get it?" is a tough question for him to answer publicly. Perhaps he was going to put it in a nice looking display and show the net54 community a picture of it , that could encourage more people to work out deals with him. Maybe he doesnt know. My question isnt an attack, its just a simple question.

just saying.....

Leon
04-23-2017, 07:02 AM
I didn't think it was that bad of a question given the situation...And an answer of "I prefer not to say" seems ok too.

Of course not. But this situation is unlike most situations. He is asking for people to go out of their way to help and he has stated his goal (get a mantle). I know if he planned on selling the card a day after getting the mantle, i would want to know that.

Another example would be if someone says they need me to take lesser money for a card than i normally would because they needed medication and were going to sell the card to help them get funds for that. So i do the deal only to learn that it was not true.

Again, people dont have to follow through with what they say but i am just giving you a reason why asking him what he plans to do with the mantle isnt out of line considering this whole thread is about him getting a mantle based on the net54 community helping him out.

I really do not think me asking "what do you plan on doing with the mantle once you get it?" is a tough question for him to answer publicly. Perhaps he was going to put it in a nice looking display and show the net54 community a picture of it , that could encourage more people to work out deals with him. Maybe he doesnt know. My question isnt an attack, its just a simple question.

just saying.....

frankbmd
04-23-2017, 09:19 AM
I didn't think it was that bad of a question given the situation...And an answer of "I prefer not to say" seems ok too.

+1

If one said (not Stephen) that his mother was in the freezer in the garage and he just needed funds to give her a proper burial, one might get more than one Mantle, or not.;)

Charitable "giving" to internet strangers with cardboard appetites hardly seems like a ticket to the pearly gates for either party.

ullmandds
04-23-2017, 09:31 AM
+1

If one said (not Stephen) that his mother was in the freezer in the garage and he just needed funds to give her a proper burial, one might get more than one Mantle, or not.;)

Charitable "giving" to internet strangers with cardboard appetites hardly seems like a ticket to the pearly gates for either party.

There was a member on the board a few years ago asking for money for health expenses...turned out he was spending the $$$ on baseball cards. The situation was addressed and money was returned...nonetheless it happened.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 09:43 AM
Thing is I haven't once asked someone to help me out . No one is doing charity for me.

ruth-gehrig
04-23-2017, 10:37 AM
There was a member on the board a few years ago asking for money for health expenses...turned out he was spending the $$$ on baseball cards. The situation was addressed and money was returned...nonetheless it happened.

Was his first name Bill? If so is he still a member here?

rainier2004
04-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Thing is I haven't once asked someone to help me out . No one is doing charity for me.

Exactly. Stephen has asked for a single contribution, he is just being up front with his situation. If you want to trade him, he will do if the value is in his favor. People obviously will do it without any charity involved.

In the end, the OP's ability to do this will be based on his network and ability to recognize deals while utilizing several venues to buy and sell. I think his transparency is useful on this venue.

I have found myself following the thread...

ullmandds
04-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Was his first name Bill? If so is he still a member here?

yes and I have no idea.

conor912
04-23-2017, 11:07 AM

just saying.....

Jake, how much money do you make per year? My question isnt an attack, its just a simple question. Just saying.....

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Jake, how much money do you make per year? My question isnt an attack, its just a simple question. Just saying.....

+1

Jake if this was a one time thing cool, however you are always negative in every thread I create. If you can prove otherwise please do.

KMayUSA6060
04-23-2017, 01:09 PM

just saying.....

Yes, the ultimate goal being a '52 Mantle, but he isn't asking people to go out of their way to help him. He is offering people more liquid cards for less liquid cards.

If I had $800 in gold to sell/trade, and you had $1000 in mulch to sell/trade and you were struggling to sell/trade that mulch, would you not consider taking the $800 in gold? Odd example, I know, but that's the idea of his actions.

At the same time, I don't think it's unfair to ask what he plans on doing with the Mantle if/once he obtains one, but I also think it's ok for him not to share.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Yes, the ultimate goal being a '52 Mantle, but he isn't asking people to go out of their way to help him. He is offering people more liquid cards for less liquid cards.

If I had $800 in gold to sell/trade, and you had $1000 in mulch to sell/trade and you were struggling to sell/trade that mulch, would you not consider taking the $800 in gold? Odd example, I know, but that's the idea of his actions.

At the same time, I don't think it's unfair to ask what he plans on doing with the Mantle if/once he obtains one, but I also think it's ok for him not to share.

For anyone that cares (not sure anyone besides James even
Does) I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the mantle. I just thought it was a fun idea to try to trade up to a mantle. So if that keeps anyone from making a trade with me so be it lol

1952boyntoncollector
04-23-2017, 02:36 PM

I prefer not to say. With that being said, can you give me $5.00, you can paypal it and i really need it.

I didnt say in not so many words, 'ill only tell a certain amount of people that deal with me'

It seems others here agree what i said is fine for the thread including Leon..

just saying

1952boyntoncollector
04-23-2017, 02:39 PM
+1

Jake if this was a one time thing cool, however you are always negative in every thread I create. If you can prove otherwise please do.

Take a look at the thread where you said you were quitting...look at what i posted.....i didnt tell you to quit at all and not negative to you at all, plus i cant think of any threads specifically where i would of been negative to you. i dont want to spend the time to look for every post you made to see if if i can find the one negative thing i had said (which i assume you are referring to but which im sure would of been warranted). You are the one that is making that accusation which i am denying so if you can prove otherwise please do. By the way, your posts directed to me could be interpreted as negative...

we are both big jackie robinson fans and you have a lot of energy into the hobby, im all for that and have interest in your posts on subject matters we both enjoy it appears.

1952boyntoncollector
04-23-2017, 02:41 PM
For anyone that cares (not sure anyone besides James even
Does) I have no idea what I'm gonna do with the mantle. I just thought it was a fun idea to try to trade up to a mantle. So if that keeps anyone from making a trade with me so be it lol

Thats all you had to say, it a better answer than 'i wont tell you or the public, only people i have traded with' It may not help people go out their way to help you but it is what it is.....

Thats all i asked. It wasnt negative to you, it was just a question that many poeple on the thread do not think i was unreasonable to ask...actually you are the only one that seemed to think that....correct me if you can prove otherwise

xplainer
04-23-2017, 02:43 PM
+1

Not funny Frank. My mother is in the freezer, no money for a proper burial, and I have no room for corndogs, push pops or Blue Bell.

PM me and I'll give you my PP info. Thanks.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Thats all you had to say, it a better answer than 'i wont tell you or the public, only people i have traded with' It may not help people go out their way to help you but it is what it is.....

Thats all i asked. It wasnt negative to you, it was just a question that many poeple on the thread do not think i was unreasonable to ask...actually you are the only one that seemed to think that....correct me if you can prove otherwise

Maybe it wasn't negative but it was unnecessary. You know you really could care less what I do with it. You just have nothing better to do than stir the pot of my thread. You wanted me to say, sell it so you and other people that are mush negatives can jump down my throat with quotes like "Leon he is just using this thread to make money" "you're not doing this for the right reasons" etc. you can say that isn't the case but anyone with half a brain knows it is.

I truly am just doing this because I thought it would be cool to pull off. After re reading the first 5 pages, is so funny how many people are so stuck in their ways. It's encouraging though to read the supportive comments from people that actually appreciate the effort of what I am doing and are joining in if it makes sense.

1952boyntoncollector
04-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Maybe it wasn't negative but it was unnecessary. You know you really could care less what I do with it. You just have nothing better to do than stir the pot of my thread. You wanted me to say, sell it so you and other people that are mush negatives can jump down my throat with quotes like "Leon he is just using this thread to make money" "you're not doing this for the right reasons" etc. you can say that isn't the case but anyone with half a brain knows it is.

I truly am just doing this because I thought it would be cool to pull off. After re reading the first 5 pages, is so funny how many people are so stuck in their ways. It's encouraging though to read the supportive comments from people that actually appreciate the effort of what I am doing and are joining in if it makes sense.

Not sure how you knew what i meant. Your assumptions are wrong. Just as you were wrong saying i was negative on all your posts, which happened now to be none.

You could of just answered the question. Saying you will tell certain people but not post your intentions here on net54 seemed like you were stirring the pot.

Afterall, if you dont know what you were going to do with the card/mantle, why did you say you will tell people that traded with you that information and not the net54 community as a whole.

Like i posted earlier, maybe you planned for the mantle to be on display and had something in mind. That certainly would not negatively impact future deals, quite the opposite i would think.

You basically said what i said on your thread was not appropriate and everyone pretty much disagreed with that. You said i was negative on all your threads with my posts implying i have some sort of agenda against you but it turns out there are no such threads like you are saying.

In any event, like i stated earlier we have many of the same interests and both into jackie robinson and i like your energy in the hobby....im on your side. ..All i did was ask a simple question that was very easy to for most if not all people to answer without any intrusion.....this is my last post for today on this thread...have a good rest of the weekend

Huysmans
04-23-2017, 04:00 PM

Sorry, its nothing at all personal, but when you're asking for charity.... And yes, use any rhetoric you choose... You're still asking people to give you MORE for LESS...
Plus you're somewhat known for constantly asking others to share their knowledge with items you are unaware of.... but then the minute you get what you want, its no one's business expect the people willing to "donate" to your noble cause? With all due respect, you honestly can't see how that would rub people the wrong way?? This isn't rocket science, the bottom line is you're on here always asking to receive more than you give.... and some people get tired of it.

Again, its nothing personal. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but acting like this is somewhat juvenile. That said, if you were willingly more transparent, I think it would help benefit your goal.

Brent

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653603]Sorry, its nothing at all personal, but when you're asking for charity.... And yes, use any rhetoric you choose... You're still asking people to give you MORE for LESS...
Plus you're somewhat known for constantly asking others to share their knowledge with items you are unaware of.... but then the minute you get what you want, its no one's business expect the people willing to "donate" to your noble cause? With all due respect, you honestly can't see how that would rub people the wrong way?? This isn't rocket science, the bottom line is you're on here always asking to receive more than you give.... and some people get tired of it.

Again, its nothing personal. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but acting like this is somewhat juvenile. That said, if you were willingly more transparent, I think it would help benefit your goal. Quote

Ps it's not charity.

If I have a cobb and you have a don Larsen. Mines worth 1000 yours is worth 1200 psa 10 mines a psa 1. Which market is bigger? Which is a easier sell? Which would you rather have?

How am I not transparent? I couldn't make this post any more clear. I'm trading up to a mantle. Holy smokes.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Not sure how you knew what i meant. Your assumptions are wrong. Just as you were wrong saying i was negative on all your posts, which happened now to be none.

You could of just answered the question. Saying you will tell certain people but not post your intentions here on net54 seemed like you were stirring the pot.

Afterall, if you dont know what you were going to do with the card/mantle, why did you say you will tell people that traded with you that information and not the net54 community as a whole.

Like i posted earlier, maybe you planned for the mantle to be on display and had something in mind. That certainly would not negatively impact future deals, quite the opposite i would think.

You basically said what i said on your thread was not appropriate and everyone pretty much disagreed with that. You said i was negative on all your threads with my posts implying i have some sort of agenda against you but it turns out there are no such threads like you are saying.

In any event, like i stated earlier we have many of the same interests and both into jackie robinson and i like your energy in the hobby....im on your side. ..All i did was ask a simple question that was very easy to for most if not all people to answer without any intrusion.....this is my last post for today on this thread...have a good rest of the weekend

You're brutal. Just don't post in here anymore. You are not contributing to this thread 1%

bnorth
04-23-2017, 04:30 PM
Ps it's not charity.

If I have a cobb and you have a don Larsen. Mines worth 1000 yours is worth 1200 psa 10 mines a psa 1. Which market is bigger? Which is a easier sell? Which would you rather have?

How am I not transparent? I couldn't make this post any more clear. I'm trading up to a mantle. Holy smokes.

What would be really cool is if you would keep a running total of what you have for trade in each of your new posts.

There was a guy who did this a couple years ago over on BO and he done it perfectly. Even had eBay/PayPal and shipping fees listed. Everybody got to see how far he had come and how far he had left to go. Getting your posts in this thread organized and keeping them on point will really help in your goal.

Huysmans
04-23-2017, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653603]Sorry, its nothing at all personal, but when you're asking for charity.... And yes, use any rhetoric you choose... You're still asking people to give you MORE for LESS...

Again, its nothing personal. I'm sure you're a nice guy, but acting like this is somewhat juvenile. That said, if you were willingly more transparent, I think it would help benefit your goal. Quote

Ps it's not charity.

You just said it yourself....YOURS is worth 1000... THEIRS is worth 1200
You do understand that one amount is MORE than the other right?? I don't care about what kind of rationale you use regarding which market is bigger, its CHARITY... plain and simple... You want MORE for giving LESS. Is this really hard for you to understand? Just be honest with yourself and others.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=EYECOLLECTVINTAGE;1653607]

You just said it yourself....YOURS is worth 1000... THEIRS is worth 1200
You do understand that one amount is MORE than the other right?? I don't care about what kind of rationale you use regarding which market is bigger, its CHARITY... plain and simple... You want MORE for giving LESS. Is this really hard for you to understand? Just be honest with yourself and others.

If I had a Larsen and someone had the cobb I'd do that trade in a heart beat if I wasn't looking to trade up for a mantle. I wouldn't consider it charity. I'd consider it a good trade for me. Why? I probably didn't pay 1200 for the Larsen and don't wanna pay 1000 for a cobb. Selling the Larsen may take a while, and even after fees my 1200 larsen is 1050.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 05:00 PM
What would be really cool is if you would keep a running total of what you have for trade in each of your new posts.

There was a guy who did this a couple years ago over on BO and he done it perfectly. Even had eBay/PayPal and shipping fees listed. Everybody got to see how far he had come and how far he had left to go. Getting your posts in this thread organized and keeping them on point will really help in your goal.

Totally agree!

I have been doing it or atleast trying. I have those T-206's and photos. Those are what's left to trade.

Huysmans
04-23-2017, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653614]

If I had a Larsen and someone had the cobb I'd do that trade in a heart beat if I wasn't looking to trade up for a mantle. I wouldn't consider it charity. I'd consider it a good trade for me. Why? I probably didn't pay 1200 for the Larsen and don't wanna pay 1000 for a cobb. Selling the Larsen may take a while, and even after fees my 1200 larsen is 1050.

Sorry, no. Your argument would only have validity if the market guaranteed 100% that one card would sell quicker than the other... But EVERYONE reading this knows these things aren't set in stone. I hate to sound arrogant, and I'm often wrong... but here I'm not.
The fact that you used words like "probably" and "may" says it all... Your fantasy is based on wishful thinking to benefit yourself.. Nothing more. If you want to collect on ASSUMPTION, more power to you, but don't expect that from others.
...you still just can't be honest with the members on here or, more importantly, yourself.

Again Stephen its nothing personal, I'm just the type that has to call out a wrong.
Sorry....

I do wish you the best otherwise.

Brent

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=EYECOLLECTVINTAGE;1653624]

Sorry, no. Your argument would only have validity if the market guaranteed 100% that one card would sell quicker than the other... But EVERYONE reading this knows these things aren't set in stone. I hate to sound arrogant, and I'm often wrong... but here I'm not.
The fact that you used words like "probably" and "may" says it all... Your fantasy is based on wishful thinking to benefit yourself.. Nothing more. If you want to collect on ASSUMPTION, more power to you, but don't expect that from others.
...you still just can't be honest with the members on here or, more importantly, yourself.

Again Stephen its nothing personal, I'm just the type that has to call out a wrong.
Sorry....

I do wish you the best otherwise.

Brent

Wrong in your opinion. Some will agree with your "opinion" and some here won't. I'm the type to call out a hater. You're a hater. You do sound arrogant. How am I being dishonest? You make no sense. Hey wanna trade? No? That's cool. Hit up another thread.

Huysmans
04-23-2017, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653633]

Wrong in your opinion. Some will agree with your "opinion" and some here won't. I'm the type to call out a hater. You're a hater. You do sound arrogant. How am I being dishonest? You make no sense. Hey wanna trade? No? That's cool. Hit up another thread.

Yeah, I'm a "hater", but you're a user.
I'd say hit up another thread as well (excellent argument by the way!!)
But you'd probably be better off hitting yourself upside the head.
And you couldn't argue ANYTHING I said.... Typical.
And what could you possibly argue dumb dumb? The market is NEVER 100%... learn that!
You're a great human being though... Keep being you and asking others to give CHARITY for your selfish, pathetic goal.

Oh, and I will stay off the "thread" you apparently "own"...
If you can't take legitimate criticism...
It might be time to change your panties.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=EYECOLLECTVINTAGE;1653639]

Yeah, I'm a "hater", but you're a user.
I'd say hit up another thread as well (excellent argument by the way!!)
But you'd probably be better off hitting yourself upside the head.
And you couldn't argue ANYTHING I said.... Typical.
And what could you possibly argue dumb dumb? The market is NEVER 100%... learn that!
You're a great human being though... Keep being you and asking others to give CHARITY for your selfish, pathetic goal.

Oh, and I will stay off the "thread" you apparently "own"...
If you can't take legitimate criticism...
It might be time to change your panties.

My favorite thing in the world is a Internet tough guy. Keep being you buddy. You must be a pleasure to trade with. You seem really reasonable. I have dealt with so many members here buying selling and trading and am confident no one has a problem with the way I do business. I am honest, truthful and most importantly... fair. I guess you don't know what opportunity cost is. Maybe supply and demand as well?

I traded that original Walter Johnson for approx 900 in trade. Sold 400 worth and and now sitting on the rest. He got a great card and I'm sitting on common T-306's. However once they sell, I am ahead of where
I wanted to be. Ask the person I traded with if they think they were being charitable.

I'm done answering your posts. Go play with your Star Wars collection.

buymycards
04-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Stephen, it looks to me like you are the one taking all of the risk in these transactions. You offered a T205 WOJO, which is an easy sell, for some T206's. Even if the "book value" of the T206's is $1000, it is much more difficult to sell these types of cards than it is to easily flip the WOJO. Some of the T206's will sell quickly, and some will sit on eBay for awhile, and some you will have to sell at a discount. You are the one taking the risk and you are the one who is doing the work of selling and trading multiple lower value cards. I don't know why people are hassling you about this.

Good luck with your quest.

Rick

Huysmans
04-23-2017, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=Huysmans;1653644]

My favorite thing in the world is a Internet tough guy. Keep being you buddy. You must be a pleasure to trade with. You seem really reasonable. I have dealt with so many members here buying selling and trading and am confident no one has a problem with the way I do business. I am honest, truthful and most importantly... fair. I guess you don't know what opportunity cost is. Maybe supply and demand as well?

I traded that original Walter Johnson for approx 900 in trade. Sold 400 worth and and now sitting on the rest. He got a great card and I'm sitting on common T-306's. However once they sell, I am ahead of where
I wanted to be. Ask the person I traded with if they think they were being charitable.

I'm done answering your posts. Go play with your Star Wars collection.

All I read was blah, blah...blah. And I think you meant "an" internet tough guy.
YOU'RE the one that doesn't know shit and is always begging others for advice.
...but now you're an expert right?
I'd say go play with your collectables clown, but just like the market, you don't know ANYTHING about them and your opinion is USELESS.
Now let's see if you have ANY integrity, and if your words mean anything to you...
I doubt it though, you'll respond again.

...and who are you to bash Star Wars stuff? After all, its ANOTHER area I'm sure you know nothing about... Shouldn't you start another thread asking what Star Wars is??

Oh, and a lot of Star Wars nerds will be offended reading your post 😜

jhs5120
04-23-2017, 06:11 PM
What is currently available for trade?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 06:16 PM
What is currently available for trade?

So glad you asked!! The following is available for trade or sale!

Here is what's left. Gonna give this till Sunday before throwing them up for ebay 7 day auction.

Better Photos:

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/p8gpmjkp.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/p8gpmjkp/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/84nr4yc2.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/84nr4yc2/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/42zs5ex5.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/42zs5ex5/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/4054h28m.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/4054h28m/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/fq141999.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/fq141999/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/5jti8h55.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/5jti8h55/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/6r6xx5i8.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/6r6xx5i8/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/xoji9j8y.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/xoji9j8y/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/6yf2444x.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/6yf2444x/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/86toh41r.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/86toh41r/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/eip420xh.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/eip420xh/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/4388s0s8.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/4388s0s8/n-a)

Snapolit1
04-23-2017, 08:14 PM
I guessed correctly that this was going to become a very annoying thread very quickly.

bnorth
04-23-2017, 08:22 PM
I guessed correctly that this was going to become a very annoying thread very quickly.

Yes it has thanks to all the off topic negative posts. Thanks for your contribution.:D

slidekellyslide
04-23-2017, 08:58 PM

Skip over it.

Problem solved.

It's just that easy.

Snapolit1
04-23-2017, 09:07 PM
Skip over it.

Problem solved.

It's just that easy.

Yep. But if anyone wants to trade me their $1000 card for my $500 one, drop me a PM. Will also trade your $100 card for my $20 one.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Yep. But if anyone wants to trade me their $1000 card for my $500 one, drop me a PM. Will also trade your $100 card for my $20 one.

Lol oh god

slidekellyslide
04-23-2017, 09:15 PM

I assume you'll be skipping over the thread from this point forward.

nebboy
04-23-2017, 09:26 PM
I guess I will chime in.

I'm the one that traded 1st for the T205 Johnson and the trade was handled very well. Cards were mailed next day by both sides and we both seem happy with the trade.

Why.

Well I don't see the t205 Johnson as a $700 or higher card. I put the valuation closer to $500 or just under. But that is a set I am currently working on so I was thinking of moving my low end T206 HOFs, ect to help with my T205 project. When I saw this post I jumped on the trade for 3 reasons.

1. I checked back on my records for what I had into the cards I was willing to trade. The better ones I had received in a trade much like this one, for vintage hockey cards I didn't really want, that I got lucky on e-bay buy (only had $34.43) in the lot. The guy didn't want prewar and I got rid of a lot of nice 70s hockey.
Also another $142.76 in cards I bought over that last few years. So I'm out of pocket less that $180.00 for a VG-T205 Johnson, at least in my way of thinking.

2. I was happy to move that lot of lower level HOFs and commons as a lot instead of one at a time. 1 big name single card would be easier for me to trade in a later date for something.

3. I was hopping the trader was really itching to get his 1st trade done and go for this trade which I viewed as a win for me, and fit his primus for a win for him.

Trading at least for me isn't always all about $$$$, it's if I'm happier with what I got than what I had. I guess I'm more of a collector. A good trade can be based on a lot of diffent reasons.

Good luck to EVERYONE in your next trade and have FUN collecting!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-23-2017, 09:29 PM
i guess i will chime in.

I'm the one that traded 1st for the t205 johnson and the trade was handled very well. Cards were mailed next day by both sides and we both seem happy with the trade.

Why.

Well i don't see the t205 johnson as a $700 or higher card. I put the valuation closer to $500 or just under. But that is a set i am currently working on so i was thinking of moving my low end t206 hofs, ect to help with my t205 project. When i saw this post i jumped on the trade for 3 reasons.

1. I checked back on my records for what i had into the cards i was willing to trade. The better ones i had received in a trade much like this one, for vintage hockey cards i didn't really want, that i got lucky on e-bay buy (only had $34.43) in the lot. The guy didn't want prewar and i got rid of a lot of nice 70s hockey.
Also another $142.76 in cards i bought over that last few years. So i'm out of pocket less that $180.00 for a vg-t205 johnson, at least in my way of thinking.

2. I was happy to move that lot of lower level hofs and commons as a lot instead of one at a time. 1 big name single card would be easier for me to trade in a later date for something.

3. I was hopping the trader was really itching to get his 1st trade done and go for this trade which i viewed as a win for me, and fit his primus for a win for him.

trading at least for me isn't always all about $$$$, it's if i'm happier with what i got than what i had. I guess i'm more of a collector. A good trade can be based on a lot of diffent reasons.

Good luck to everyone in your next trade and have fun collecting!

+10000000

orly57
04-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Can everyone leave this poor guy alone. He isn't trying to scam anyone. He is trying a fun project that he wants to share with fellow card collectors. I, for one, would gladly trade him a card that is higher in price for one that I want more. If I had some psa 10 third-year card of a mid-tier hall of famer, I would gladly trade it for a card I covet that may be "worth" 15-20% less. What should I do instead? Put it up for sale and wait for a guy who happens to be putting together an all-psa 10 1973 Topps set to pay me 10k? Or should I put it up on PWCC and PRAY it hits 10k so I can get 9k after pwcc gets their cut? I prefer the card I covet. I think this is the type of scenario he is getting at. But you guys are destroying him like he is trying to pull a fast one, when the very title of the thread is telling you precisely what he is trying to do. I wish him well.

slidekellyslide
04-23-2017, 10:01 PM
Exactly. I am not much of a reader of other forums, but do recall stumbling across the thread on the PSA board where a guy was doing the same exact thing and it was fun to watch (I even put the thread in my bookmarks so I could follow it without having to search for it), and he wasn't getting any grief at all.

Leave it to Net54 though.....

1952boyntoncollector
04-24-2017, 05:26 AM
Noone here will argue that a someone putting in sweat equity to make a profit is a bad thing, quite the opposite. Others dont care about going out of their way to help someone. There were other various issues that some posters here criticized. However i still do not know why people curse (not accusing eyecollectvintage) on a baseball hobby forum..makes no sense.

PhillipAbbott79
04-24-2017, 06:04 AM
Doesn't this belong in the BST? :cool: :p

Snapolit1
04-24-2017, 06:37 AM
Can everyone leave this poor guy alone. He isn't trying to scam anyone. He is trying a fun project that he wants to share with fellow card collectors. I, for one, would gladly trade him a card that is higher in price for one that I want more. If I had some psa 10 third-year card of a mid-tier hall of famer, I would gladly trade it for a card I covet that may be "worth" 15-20% less. What should I do instead? Put it up for sale and wait for a guy who happens to be putting together an all-psa 10 1973 Topps set to pay me 10k? Or should I put it up on PWCC and PRAY it hits 10k so I can get 9k after pwcc gets their cut? I prefer the card I covet. I think this is the type of scenario he is getting at. But you guys are destroying him like he is trying to pull a fast one, when the very title of the thread is telling you precisely what he is trying to do. I wish him well.

Amazing how someone qoes from a dramatic public declaration that they are leaving the board forever to a week later a rollout of a major project that is going to involve seemingly 1000s of posts. Whatever. Best of luck.

1952boyntoncollector
04-24-2017, 06:58 AM
Amazing how someone qoes from a dramatic public declaration that they are leaving the board forever to a week later a rollout of a major project that is going to involve seemingly 1000s of posts. Whatever. Best of luck.

The leaving the board forever or selling their collection and getting out of the hobby declaration appears to be a fraternity of several current net54 posters. I am not sure where the chapter meetings are held. :) There should be an icon next to the name when people join that not so exclusive club....

T206Collector
04-24-2017, 07:45 AM
Stephen, it looks to me like you are the one taking all of the risk in these transactions. You offered a T205 WOJO, which is an easy sell, for some T206's. Even if the "book value" of the T206's is $1000, it is much more difficult to sell these types of cards than it is to easily flip the WOJO. Some of the T206's will sell quickly, and some will sit on eBay for awhile, and some you will have to sell at a discount. You are the one taking the risk and you are the one who is doing the work of selling and trading multiple lower value cards. I don't know why people are hassling you about this.

Good luck with your quest.

Rick

+1

It will be easier to take one card and trade down for parts. That's where the value is, I would guess. You get better value in cards overall because you are willing to accept the transaction costs of time, shipping, etc. I think this could work, but it will certainly take awhile.

I too would like to follow along, but there are a lot of people on here annoyed by the way this is being carried out that are distracting from the value of considering the pursuit, which alone is interesting to me.

Leon
04-24-2017, 07:53 AM
A way of cleaning up this thread mess is being considered. The game is fine but the crappy responses in between not so much. Those members being annoyed might eventually be annoyed a lot more :).

+1

It will be easier to take one card and trade down for parts. That's where the value is, I would guess. You get better value in cards overall because you are willing to accept the transaction costs of time, shipping, etc. I think this could work, but it will certainly take awhile.

I too would like to follow along, but there are a lot of people on here annoyed by the way this is being carried out that are distracting from the value of considering the pursuit, which alone is interesting to me.

Bpm0014
04-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Can everyone leave this poor guy alone. He isn't trying to scam anyone. He is trying a fun project that he wants to share with fellow card collectors. I, for one, would gladly trade him a card that is higher in price for one that I want more.

Exactly! He isn't trying to scam anyone! I don't know Stephen at all, but I decided to participate in this fun project. And I'll admit, it went as smoothly as can be. I'm in this hobby simply....as a hobby. If you are in it for the business side of it, isn't the ultimate goal to make money? Or trade up? Or buy low, sell high?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Whose up for a trade!!! I got the cards! Or offer a price to buy. Let's keep the ball rolling

boysblue
04-24-2017, 07:14 PM
Gotta love the enthusiasm of the OP. And he is transparent, and it doesn't appear he is asking for any favours from anybody in his dealings. I don't see why some posters are giving him grief.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Here is where we stand..

Started with a Walter Johnson T-205 SGC 40.

Turned it into......

So far shipping has ran $23.58 leaving me with $456.42 and the following left for sale or trade.

T206 Kelly, psa3 HOF
T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
T-206 Rube Marquard
Honus Wagner Photo

Anyone interested?

Gradedcardman
04-25-2017, 02:32 PM

If I need that card valued at $500 and I want it at any cost then a $1000 card traded is nothing. I get the card I want and trade a card I apparently don't value as much regardless of the perceived value then its a win win. I got what I wanted and the person who traded with me is also happy. I did this quite a few times on my PD 42 quest. No regrets.

vintagerookies51
04-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Getting real tired of the negativity on this board. Stephen isn't asking you to donate to a gofundme for him to get a '52 Mantle. He's announcing a challenging project that he's taking on, just in case anyone is interested in trading. If you're not, move on to a new thread! It's that simple.

By no means is he asking for $1,000 cards in exchange for a $500 card. I participated in this trading, and was very pleased. If someone is looking for a card that doesn't come up for sale often and this guy has it, of course they are going to pay (trade) a premium for it! You're not spending any money, after all.

ullmandds
04-25-2017, 03:21 PM
oops wrong thread!

njdunkin1
04-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Anything available around 200 liquid value, Stephen? I have a Tenney Hindu T206 that I would love to trade :]

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Anything available around 200 liquid value, Stephen? I have a Tenney Hindu T206 that I would love to trade :]

Hey PM me!!

irv
04-26-2017, 06:19 AM

Getting real tired of the negativity on this board. Stephen isn't asking you to donate to a gofundme for him to get a '52 Mantle. He's announcing a challenging project that he's taking on, just in case anyone is interested in trading. If you're not, move on to a new thread! It's that simple.

By no means is he asking for $1,000 cards in exchange for a $500 card. I participated in this trading, and was very pleased. If someone is looking for a card that doesn't come up for sale often and this guy has it, of course they are going to pay (trade) a premium for it! You're not spending any money, after all.

Exactly why I said what said! Stephen, not once, that I read, asked anyone to go out of their way to sell/trade their cards for less value, take a hit, lose, swallow, give up anything in order for him to obtain a 52 Mantle.

If people read it that way and were willing to take a loss on a card(s) in order to help him out, then my hats off to you, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

PhillipAbbott79
04-26-2017, 06:25 AM
Direct quote. Post number 1.

"I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

Bpm0014
04-26-2017, 06:33 AM
"I am not picky in what I want in return. Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

But isn't that almost everyone's ultimate goal? To trade a $75 card for a $100 card? To feel like they "got a good deal"? Like, that isn't a new concept...

irv
04-26-2017, 07:10 AM
Direct quote. Post number 1.

Like what has been mentioned more than once, if you have a card that you no longer want or see a card that you want more and are willing to trade/sell, then lets do a deal.

I highly doubt anyone has traded/sold him a card and taken a loss in order to help him out with his quest.

Maybe I'm wrong, and like I mentioned, if you did then my hat is off to you as that is truly admirable, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

rats60
04-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Like what has been mentioned more than once, if you have a card that you no longer want or see a card that you want more and are willing to trade/sell, then lets do a deal.

I highly doubt anyone has traded/sold him a card and taken a loss in order to help him out with his quest.

Maybe I'm wrong, and like I mentioned, if you did then my hat is off to you as that is truly admirable, but that is not what he was asking anyone to do.

Isn't the whole point of this thread that you have to take a loss to trade with him? So, everyone who trades with him is taking a loss to help him out.

jhs5120
04-26-2017, 07:31 AM
Isn't the whole point of this thread that you have to take a loss to trade with him? So, everyone who trades with him is taking a loss to help him out.

Imagine you have a lot worth $700-$1,100. This may be a high grade common, a mixed lot of random cards or an obscure issue. You trade that lot to Stephen for a single card worth $750. This may be a single, more liquid card. You are getting a fair trade (albeit on the lower end of the lots worth), but still a fair trade.

Then, Stephen trades that lot worth $700-$1,100 for a single card (or group of liquid cards) worth ~$1,000. He is still making a fair trade. Then Stephen trades his card worth $1,000 for a lot of cards worth $900-$1,500. Still a fair trade. Repeat this process 15-20 times.

No charity, all fair trades and no one is being asked to take a loss. It's a lot of work for Stephen, a ton of fun to watch and even more fun to participate in the trading. Sit back and enjoy my friend, we are all card collectors here.
Jason

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-26-2017, 07:36 AM
It's funny that people can't get the world old concept of trading. When a accountant does a landscapers taxes in return for lawn work, do they sit down and analyze "well I usually charge $3,000 a year for taxes, and you charge $2200 for lawns, so just give me $800 cash and we will call it even". No. Both parties win. The accountant usually charges 3K, however is not paying a penny out of his pocket for his lawn, so it's a clear win for him. While the landscaper is winning, he is still doing all the manual labor which is harder than accounting. In this case I am the landscaper. I am making off on the deal money wise, but people who are trading with me could care less because they are getting what they need. I then must put in the leg work and labor of selling the harder to sell cards.

The fact that I had to waste 10 minutes writing this is what annoys me. It's so obvious. It's trading. I said it once and I'll say it a million times.... A trade doesn't have to be fair if it makes sense.

rats60
04-26-2017, 07:40 AM
Imagine you have a lot worth $700-$1,100. This may be a high grade common, a mixed lot of random cards or an obscure issue. You trade that lot to Stephen for a single card worth $750. This may be a single, more liquid card. You are getting a fair trade (albeit on the lower end of the lots worth), but still a fair trade.

Then, Stephen trades that lot worth $700-$1,100 for a single card (or group of liquid cards) worth ~$1,000. He is still making a fair trade. Then Stephen trades his card worth $1,000 for a lot of cards worth $900-$1,500. Still a fair trade. Repeat this process 15-20 times.

No charity, all fair trades and no one is being asked to take a loss. It's a lot of work for Stephen, a ton of fun to watch and even more fun to participate in the trading. Sit back and enjoy my friend, we are all card collectors here.
Jason

How is it a fair trade if he is asking for more value than you get back? That is his first condition of trading with him.

irv
04-26-2017, 07:40 AM

If you had a dupe and it was a tough sell getting the money it once sold for but then seen a card you have coveted for a while and Stephen was interested in your trade, would you not go for it?

Like someone also mentioned, if you had $1000 in mulch that you couldn’t get rid of, would you not trade that for a $800 in gold?

Some will not of course, and that is their choice, but others will as they are tired of either trying to sell the card(s) they own or they see one Stephen has that they want more.

I currently need quite a few 52 Topps cards and if I had some dupes, that, cumulatively, were worth more than a card I have coveted for a while, then I more than likely would do that trade.

jhs5120
04-26-2017, 07:45 AM
How is it a fair trade if he is asking for more value than you get back? That is his first condition of trading with him.

Not every card has a fixed value, rather a range. Read what I previously wrote. This is a fun thread to watch, there's no need to analyze two adults trading baseball cards.

rats60
04-26-2017, 08:14 AM
If you had a dupe and it was a tough sell getting the money it once sold for but then seen a card you have coveted for a while and Stephen was interested in your trade, would you not go for it?

Like someone also mentioned, if you had $1000 in mulch that you couldn’t get rid of, would you not trade that for a $800 in gold?

Some will not of course, and that is their choice, but others will as they are tired of either trying to sell the card(s) they own or they see one Stephen has that they want more.

I currently need quite a few 52 Topps cards and if I had some dupes, that, cumulatively, were worth more than a card I have coveted for a while, then I more than likely would do that trade.

I understand someone willing to take a loss to make a trade, but they still aren't getting a fair trade. When the 76ers traded Wilt Chamberlain to the Lakers or the Bucks traded Kareem Abdul Jabbar to the Lakers, did they get fair trades? No, they wanted to move the players so they took less than fair market value to do so.

ullmandds
04-26-2017, 08:27 AM
this whole concept of trading for something more/less valuable than what you are trading happens all the time!

with my MILLER run for example...I've traded way more than a dots miller with an unusual back is worth to someone else because the miller is important to me...therefore I will trade up for it.

Similiarly if someone knows they have a "common" you need to complete a set...or a run...or whatever it becomes more valuable than it really is to that person.

No difference to me.

rdixon1208
04-26-2017, 08:53 AM
This is my real life situation: I have a card worth about $225 - $265. It's not really worth consigning....it's just the one card. If I sell it on ebay and get a fair price then I'll bring home $215 or so after fees. I would happily trade that card for a card(s) that's worth around $200, and I wouldn't feel like I "lost".

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-26-2017, 08:55 AM
This is my real life situation: I have a card worth about $225 - $265. It's not really worth consigning....it's just the one card. If I sell it on ebay and get a fair price then I'll bring home $215 or so after fees. I would happily trade that card for a card(s) that's worth around $200, and I wouldn't feel like I "lost".

What card? Holler at me!

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Ok let's do this...

The rube T-206 is available for 33 delivered today or else it's on eBay tomorrow.

Let's make a quick deal.

KingFisk
04-26-2017, 10:16 AM
Stephen, I would suggest also posting your wares in the BST for those who may not be following this project specifically and may be interested in acquiring what you've got.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Stephen, I would suggest also posting your wares in the BST for those who may not be following this project specifically and may be interested in acquiring what you've got.

Great Idea!

PhillipAbbott79
04-26-2017, 10:52 AM
It's funny that people can't get the world old concept of trading. When a accountant does a landscapers taxes in return for lawn work, do they sit down and analyze "well I usually charge $3,000 a year for taxes, and you charge $2200 for lawns, so just give me $800 cash and we will call it even". No. Both parties win. The accountant usually charges 3K, however is not paying a penny out of his pocket for his lawn, so it's a clear win for him. While the landscaper is winning, he is still doing all the manual labor which is harder than accounting. In this case I am the landscaper. I am making off on the deal money wise, but people who are trading with me could care less because they are getting what they need. I then must put in the leg work and labor of selling the harder to sell cards.

The fact that I had to waste 10 minutes writing this is what annoys me. It's so obvious. It's trading. I said it once and I'll say it a million times.... A trade doesn't have to be fair if it makes sense.

Your analogy works for trading dissimilar items. Let's take a look at trading work. Bob and Joe are both plumbers who own their own business. Bob helps Joe out for 8 hours, Joe pays him 200 dollars for his time. Joe is asked to help Bob out for 8 hours and only gets 150 dollars for his time. Would they both consider that fair trade?

You are trading a baseball card, for many baseball cards. Ok. There is time, money, energy, liquidity, etc. Everybody understands that. However, you also would trade, 1 for 1, if the values were dissimilar. Generally also, not really an issue, for people that are not concerned about dollar value.

There are people here, that do care about dollar value, and those are the people that you are on here arguing with.

Their point is something like this: Examine both of these statements:
I really need a truck so I can make a living. I have no idea what it is worth, but that doesn't matter. I have a really great computer I would trade someone for a truck.

vs

I can't afford a truck that I really want because it is to expensive. Will you trade me your truck for my computer?

Your first inclination is to ask, what is the computer worth in both scenarios, but one emphasizes the money aspect, rather than the trade benefit aspect.

The problem is not what you are doing. It is how you went about presenting it, regardless of how sincere and innocent you thought you were being about it, and where you posted it at IMO.

For the record, I don't care either way. I am simply pointing out the sides of the equation.

RedsFan1941
04-26-2017, 10:54 AM
you should post about this in the autograph, memorabilia, postwar section and water cooler sections too. Never know where a trade might start from.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-26-2017, 11:03 AM
you should post about this in the autograph, memorabilia, postwar section and water cooler sections too. Never know where a trade might start from.

Totally agree. But is that allowed?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-26-2017, 11:29 AM
UPDATE!! RUBE T-206 SOLD!

TODAY ONLY!! Will sell Wagner Photo for $45 DLVD PP FF. PM ME

Turned it into......

Plus $15.00

FOR

T206 Tenney Hindu Back SGC 10 DEAL PENDING

So far shipping has ran me $31.58 leaving me with $466.42 and the following cards/photos left for sale or trade.

T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
Honus Wagner Photo

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-26-2017, 12:39 PM
About to pull off the first ever 3 way deal in the Ultimate Trade up so stay tuned! HAHA First trade is pulled and is reflected above.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-27-2017, 07:12 AM

Turned it into......

Plus $15.00

FOR

FOR

1964 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG 5 AVAILABLE
1962 Topps Switch Hitter Mantle PSA 5 AVAILABLE
1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC SGC 60 AVAILABLE

So far shipping has ran me $37.58, leaving me with $460.42 and the following cards/photos left for sale or trade.

T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
1964 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG 5
1962 Topps Switch Hitter Mantle PSA 5
1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC SGC 60
1962 topps Mays AS card RAW NM
Honus Wagner Original Photo

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/y6ef5eh8.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/y6ef5eh8/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/ulphy6h5.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/ulphy6h5/n-a)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Anyone? Let's rock!!!!!!

gemmint77
04-27-2017, 12:16 PM
How much for the Pelty T206? Thanks

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-27-2017, 12:21 PM
how much for the pelty t206? Thanks

pm sent

nat
04-27-2017, 12:47 PM
I really don't know what the Johnson was worth. Are you ahead so far?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-27-2017, 12:50 PM
I really don't know what the Johnson was worth. Are you ahead so far?

Once I get rid of the rest of this stuff yes.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-27-2017, 06:53 PM
UPDATE: WAGNER PHOTO SOLD!!

Started with a Walter Johnson T-205 SGC 4

Turned it into......

T206 Pelty, vert, pas 4.5 AVAILABLE
T206 McEvlveen, big 4 AVAILABLE

TRADED T206 Bender, no trees, psa 4 HOF

For

$150
Honus Wagner Original Photo SOLD $55
$238 Total.

TRADED

Plus $15.00

FOR

TRADED

FOR

1964 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG 5 AVAILABLE
1962 Topps Switch Hitter Mantle PSA 5 AVAILABLE
1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC SGC 60 AVAILABLE

So far shipping has ran me $40.58, leaving me with $513.42 and the following cards left for sale or trade.

T206 McEvlveen, bvg 4
1964 Topps Mickey Mantle BVG 5
1962 Topps Switch Hitter Mantle PSA 5
1965 Topps Steve Carlton RC SGC 60

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/y6ef5eh8.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/y6ef5eh8/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/ulphy6h5.jpg (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/ulphy6h5/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/1k444325.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/1k444325/n-a)

https://sportscardalbum.com/c/c336aww7.JPG (https://sportscardalbum.com/card/c336aww7/n-a)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-27-2017, 08:40 PM
Wagner photo sold.

KMayUSA6060
04-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Now that money is involved and being mentioned, what was your monetary valuation on the original Big Train?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
04-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Now that money is involved and being mentioned, what was your monetary valuation on the original Big Train?

It's prob best I add it once these cards are done. I have no problem posting it, but it may hurt me as people may low ball me on whats remaining if I made enough profit in their opinion. Ya know?

TheNightmanCometh
04-27-2017, 09:47 PM

I don't get why people are only looking at the monetary value of these trades. Sure, if the OP trades a $75 card for a $100 card then he gained $25 in value, but that's only half of the trade. On the other side of the trade, the trader got a card they valued more than the $100 card they gave up. Maybe they needed the card to complete a set, maybe they really like the player, or the team. Trades aren't only confined to their monetary value.

KCRfan1
04-27-2017, 10:30 PM
It's been fun to watch your progress towards your goal! I'm interested in seeing how close you get!!! Sorry for the garbage and grief you've been subjected to from other members. Too bad we're not more supportive of each other....

gregr2
04-28-2017, 04:39 AM
I am also enjoying this and wish you the best of luck on your journey. I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to go for it!!

Bpm0014
04-28-2017, 07:20 AM
I enjoy this thread as well and have enjoyed trading with Stephen. It's a shame that some people are just so negative.... when in the end.....it doesn't even pertain to them or affect them. I hope he gets his Mantle, or something close to it.

KingFisk
04-28-2017, 07:39 AM
I enjoy this thread as well and have enjoyed trading with Stephen. It's a shame that some people are just so negative.... when in the end.....it doesn't even pertain to them or affect them. I hope he gets his Mantle, or something close to it.
+1 I am very happy with the cards I bought from Stephen at an overall FAIR (emphasis on no charity on my part) and look forward to reading the updates as they are posted.