PDA

View Full Version : Harry Davis- HOF Worthy?

ronniehatesjazz
04-08-2017, 10:52 AM
I know he was a deadball era power hitter but still the guy led the league in homers 4 times, RBI's twice, Doubles 3 times, and Triples once. Additionally he won 3 world series's. His overall numbers are nowhere near HOF worthy but considering the stats of a lot of guys from this are horrible relative to modern day standards, why is this guy's name never brought up?

rats60
04-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Only 1841 hits in 22 years, although really only 15 full seasons, .275 ba. As a 1b, an OPS+ of 119. WAR of 38.7. Only recieved HOF votes twice and never more than 1%. There is nothing that really says hofer.

clydepepper
04-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Mr. Davis has a lot of company. Take him out an put Minnie Minoso in!

HOF Auto Rookies
04-08-2017, 12:46 PM
I'd put Jimmy Ryan in waaaaay before Davis. Ryan should already be in IMO.

ronniehatesjazz
04-08-2017, 01:34 PM
I like Minoso a lot but not worthy of the conversation IMO. Similar to Davis in some regards. Led the league in SB's for several years in a time when 20-30 would put you right at the top; not unlike Davis and his leading the league in homeruns with 10-15 a season. I'm still baffled at how people completely overlook this guy when you have guys like Bresnahan and others in (and all the talk about introducing shin guards and all that is a weak argument for him being in IMO). I mean just think about a 4 time HR leader that has 3 rings not making it today. If it wasn't for steroids any of the powerhitters of the last couple decades would be shoe-ins and not many could say they led the league in homeruns 4 times (I know it's a totally different time but still). I'm not all that surprised that he's not in but am very surprised that his name is never even brought up given his accomplishments. I know his overall stats are not great but to me not that out of line with a lot of other players who are in or are still viable candidates from that era.

rats60
04-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Bill Madlock won 4 batting titles, but he is not in the hof. Several guys have won 2 MVPs or 2 Cy Youngs and not made it. It is about have a great career not a few great seasons.

Bpm0014
04-08-2017, 01:51 PM
I hope he gets in. I have 2 game used bats of his...

ronniehatesjazz
04-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Bill Madlock won 4 batting titles, but he is not in the hof. Several guys have won 2 MVPs or 2 Cy Youngs and not made it. It is about have a great career not a few great seasons.

I've always thought Madlock should be given more recognition. Good point on the MVP's/Cy Youngs. I've always thought Maris should get in, though I understand why most disagree. Really like Dale Murphy and Saberhagen but I don't think they belong. Would be happy to see Murphy get in though.