PDA

View Full Version : Can someone do this?

rdwyer
04-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Would love to see authentication guides here that help members spot fakes. See example below. Want guides for all the common fakes out there, like the ones in the 2nd photo. Also include blowups of certain areas to show the printing process used in fake/real.

Enfuego
04-06-2017, 09:13 PM
Pretty informative FYI.

KMayUSA6060
04-07-2017, 05:16 AM
I would pay good money for one of these guides.

jb67
04-07-2017, 05:40 AM
I would pay good money for one of these guides.

Same Here!

JustinD
04-07-2017, 07:10 AM
Not trying to be negative but I have thought the same thing prior. I came to the realization that a printed tome would be outdated quickly other than showing common fakes that experience will quickly help you identify. Those fakes on the second photo are made to trick rookies or modern collectors just starting in vintage. The good fakes are the hard ones.

Internet searches will provide the same information and can be updated quickly to reference new items that pop up all the time. Much like the fake slabs that have arose in the past few years to get people to not critically look at the cards within.

irv
04-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Not trying to be negative but I have thought the same thing prior. I came to the realization that a printed tome would be outdated quickly other than showing common fakes that experience will quickly help you identify. Those fakes on the second photo are made to trick rookies or modern collectors just starting in vintage. The good fakes are the hard ones.

Internet searches will provide the same information and can be updated quickly to reference new items that pop up all the time. Much like the fake slabs that have arose in the past few years to get people to not critically look at the cards within.

The thing I don't like, although I like knowing as much as possible too, is with these types of things, imo, it just teaches the scammers, fakers and cons what areas to improve on or change in order to not get detected.

bnorth
04-07-2017, 08:27 AM
I highly recommend this book to everyone. You need to read the entire book and about every card in it. This will give you an amazing understanding on several of the methods used and what to look for. I know everyone likes to think things have changed but in reality these are still the way counterfeits are made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Sportscard-Counterfeit-Detector-by-Sports-Collectors-Digest-Bob-Lemke-/272387574733?hash=item3f6b908bcd:g:NDgAAOSwoJZXRer J

the 'stache
04-07-2017, 01:33 PM
The best way to learn to spot fakes, in my opinion, is just going to be handling the cards themselves. For rarer issues, obviously, this will be more difficult (i.e. Texas Tommy cards). But for ones like T206, Goudeys, etc...,get some beaters , and study them. Look at them up close under a great loupe. Handle the cards, and get used to how they look up close. Guides are great, but nothing will ever beat practical experience. Buy from reputable dealers. Do your due diligence. And know what you are collecting. Augment that knowledge gained from hands on experience, sure. But guides should always be a supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buymycards
04-07-2017, 06:43 PM
http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/content/archivecenter.html

Click on this link, then scroll to the bottom for some good info.

buymycards
04-07-2017, 06:53 PM
This is very helpful. It is pretty old, but it contains some good info. You should be able to find them on Amazon or eBay.

rdwyer
04-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Rather than reading entire books, I'd rather compare between the two. See first picture. What I'd like to see is pictures of real and fakes cards with pointers of what to avoid. Besides, if we had pictures of all the most counterfeited card with pointers no one would have to ask if it was real or not again. I like to see a section for authenticating fakes.

bnorth
04-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Rather than reading entire books, I'd rather compare between the two. See first picture. What I'd like to see is pictures of real and fakes cards with pointers of what to avoid. Besides, if we had pictures of all the most counterfeited card with pointers no one would have to ask if it was real or not again. I like to see a section for authenticating fakes.

Yes but the reality of a book like that would be difficult. There are so many different ways of counterfeiting and detection that each card would be a chapter long. With Bob Lemkes awesome book if you read the entire thing. With all the cards listed in there you will have a very good idea of what to look for with several types of counterfeits.

Leon
04-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Never saw that before...could be interesting
I highly recommend this book to everyone. You need to read the entire book and about every card in it. This will give you an amazing understanding on several of the methods used and what to look for. I know everyone likes to think things have changed but in reality these are still the way counterfeits are made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Sportscard-Counterfeit-Detector-by-Sports-Collectors-Digest-Bob-Lemke-/272387574733?hash=item3f6b908bcd:g:NDgAAOSwoJZXRer J

Yoda
04-12-2017, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=the 'stache;1648558]The best way to learn to spot fakes, in my opinion, is just going to be handling the cards themselves. For rarer issues, obviously, this will be more difficult (i.e. Texas Tommy cards).

Great, great advise. The more you can examine the genuine item the more likely you are to spot the fake, if you can get up close and personal with the card. I am still bleeding from buying a Wolverine News Cobb, subjecting it to everything but an electron microscope. I submitted it at the National and Scott delivered the blow, saying it was a very, very good counterfeit and nearly had fooled him. Ouch. My own private agony.