PDA

View Full Version : SGC Graded Sanella Ruth vs. Other SGC Pre-War

KMayUSA6060
03-31-2017, 11:01 AM
If someone is bored and has a 1932 Sanella Babe Ruth graded by SGC, can you please post a picture of it side-by-side with another or several other Pre-War cards graded by SGC (Goudey, T206, etc.)? I don't believe I have ever seen one in person and I would like to obtain a Ruth.

Please and thank you. :)

bnorth
03-31-2017, 11:38 AM
I no longer have the Sanella Ruth. Here it is with the group of cards I donated to a local museum.

KMayUSA6060
03-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Thank you very much.

Hmmmm... That's not too bad, especially if it were to be the centerpiece for a "1st HoF Class" display.

Snapolit1
03-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Not really sure why, but the ex-U.S. Ruth cards never did it for me. They weren't released to kids and their parents crazy about baseball, but to people in Russia, German and the UK who probably couldn't suppress a yawn fast enough. I realize they are relatively cheaper than other Ruth cards.

KMayUSA6060
03-31-2017, 11:57 AM
Not really sure why, but the ex-U.S. Ruth cards never did it for me. They weren't released to kids and their parents crazy about baseball, but to people in Russia, German and the UK who probably couldn't suppress a yawn fast enough. I realize they are relatively cheaper than other Ruth cards.

3 things appeal to me with this card:

1. Price. Most affordable period Ruth card.

2. Image. It's a great image of Ruth, presumably hitting a HR (or sac fly).

3. I like the Pre-WWII/Nazi German connection of this card. As a historian, I enjoy finding items that truly relate to historic events.

What's interesting is SGC doesn't seem to have an in-between slab for this card. They use the Exhibits slab, and cut the interior black insert to size. I think a better slab fit would do this card wonders, public appeal wise.

ronniehatesjazz
03-31-2017, 12:06 PM

3. I like the Pre-WWII/Nazi German connection of this card. As a historian, I enjoy finding items that truly relate to historic events.

What's interesting is SGC doesn't seem to have an in-between slab for this card. They use the Exhibits slab, and cut the interior black insert to size. I think a better slab fit would do this card wonders, public appeal wise.

Agree with you and Snapolit1. To me it truly a collector's card. You don't get the thrill you would with a nice Goudey but it's a better looking card IMO (even though 3 of the 33 Goudey's are gorgeous). That being said I've noticed the price of these cards plummeting on eBay (seeing low-mid grade at $100-$200) and I still can't pull the trigger.

Snapolit1
03-31-2017, 12:06 PM
Three good reasons.

As to #2, if you are interested in a nice Leaf Max Schmelling card shoot me a pm. It's a beautiful card and not expensive. Have tried to sell for a while with a nice Joe Louis card and haven't gotten any takers.

KMayUSA6060
03-31-2017, 12:12 PM
Agree with you and Snapolit1. To me it truly a collector's card. You don't get the thrill you would with a nice Goudey but it's a better looking card IMO (even though 3 of the 33 Goudey's are gorgeous). That being said I've noticed the price of these cards plummeting on eBay (seeing low-mid grade at $100-$200) and I still can't pull the trigger.

I should've pulled the trigger towards the end of last year. There were some SGC Sanella Ruths in the $75-90 range. I'd be content grabbing a SGC 20-30 Sanella Ruth for under $100. I'd pull the trigger then. Struggling right now because I'm in no-man's-land funds wise - close enough to some larger targets where I should stay patient, but enough where I could knock out a few targets, large and small. It's a struggle.

Three good reasons.

As to #2, if you are interested in a nice Leaf Max Schmelling card shoot me a pm. It's a beautiful card and not expensive. Have tried to sell for a while with a nice Joe Louis card and haven't gotten any takers.

Schmelling is the main reason I'm not going to save a bit more for a 1932 Bulgaria Ruth. I'm not a Boxing fan. Otherwise, I'd be all over the 1932 Bulgaria Ruth because it says, "Ohio" on the back.

brianp-beme
03-31-2017, 01:57 PM
Schmelling is the main reason I'm not going to save a bit more for a 1932 Bulgaria Ruth. I'm not a Boxing fan. Otherwise, I'd be all over the 1932 Bulgaria Ruth because it says, "Ohio" on the back.

The Bulgaria Ruth is a nice photo of a pensive Ruth, even with the be-suited Schmelling. At least Schmelling looks a little better in formal attire than that creepy little bird man in the ill fitting suit on the E121 Ruth card. And a bonus is that it was taken on the field, as it features a couple of his teammates in the dugout on the bottom right corner of the card.

If one of the reasons you like the Sanella is because of the size, you would be disappointed with the Bulgaria card, as it is only 1-5/8 x 2-3/8".

Brian

KMayUSA6060
03-31-2017, 02:06 PM
The Bulgaria Ruth is a nice photo of a pensive Ruth, even with the be-suited Schmelling. At least Schmelling looks a little better in formal attire than that creepy little bird man in the ill fitting suit on the E121 Ruth card. And a bonus is that it was taken on the field, as it features a couple of his teammates in the dugout on the bottom right corner of the card.

If one of the reasons you like the Sanella is because of the size, you would be disappointed with the Bulgaria card, as it is only 1-5/8 x 2-3/8".

Brian

This is true, I do like the it's on the field/dugout.

I don't like the size of the Ruth per-se, but I don't mind it. I think SGC emphasizes the size, and even exaggerates it with the unfitting slab.

Bored5000
03-31-2017, 03:18 PM

I know that budget Ruth cards from his playing days are few and far between, but you don't have interest in the Shonen postcard? It is only slightly more expensive than a Sanella card, and it is a decent image of Ruth batting. IMO, I would take the Shonen postcard over the Sanella as a budget Ruth card from his playing days.

KMayUSA6060
03-31-2017, 04:22 PM
I know that budget Ruth cards from his playing days are few and far between, but you don't have interest in the Shonen postcard? It is only slightly more expensive than a Sanella card, and it is a decent image of Ruth batting. IMO, I would take the Shonen postcard over the Sanella as a budget Ruth card from his playing days.

Admittedly I didn't know about the Shonen. Haha. Because it's a postcard it doesn't interest me as much as the Sanella. I do like the image, and will acquire one eventually because I like the idea of it being Pre-WWII Japanese. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

What are the dimensions of the Shonen?

Bored5000
03-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Admittedly I didn't know about the Shonen. Haha. Because it's a postcard it doesn't interest me as much as the Sanella. I do like the image, and will acquire one eventually because I like the idea of it being Pre-WWII Japanese. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

What are the dimensions of the Shonen?

It is 3-3/8" X 5-5/8". Both SGC and PSA will grade the Shonen. I have included a couple links that discuss the Shonen postcard; it was included in the August 1929 edition of the Japanese children's magazine Shonen Club. The image supposedly comes from opening day of the 1926 season.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do not own one. But it blows me away that the Shonen postcard sells for less than most of the horrific strip cards of Ruth of the 1920s in which you can't even tell it's him being depicted. Even the low-grade Exhibits and strip cards of Ruth have climbed out of reach of budget collectors in recent years.

http://www.oldcardboard.com/enews/2007/enews44/enews44.htm

http://www.oldcardboard.com/foreign/japan/29-shonen-club-pc/29-shonen-club-pc.asp?cardsetID=1422

yanksfan09
03-31-2017, 09:59 PM
I have a Sanella and a Shonen. I tink the Sanella has a great image actually and is solid for how cheap they go for.

I'd definitely choose the Shonen if I could only keep one of the two due to it being more scarce than the Sanella and it too looks nice imo...

There's also old threads on affordable Ruth options if you search. You might find some other ideas too.