PDA

View Full Version : W501-2 question ?

garymc
03-30-2017, 04:10 PM
There is a card for sale on eBay that the seller is stating that, " don't be confused this is not a W575-1 but a second print of a W501???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-W501-2-Like-E121-Series-WALLY-SCHANG-New-York-Yankees-Type-2-/132137983916?hash=item1ec4099fac:g:6WwAAOSwX~dWtQc b

I never heard of a W501-2 and can't find any info on this type of card ? Being a type collector I find this interesting.

rhettyeakley
03-30-2017, 04:22 PM
That is my card on eBay.

Basically, I have given this particular set that designation and written about it on this forum and in an Old Cardboard article.

The W575-1 designation has become a garbage heap designation for anything resembling an E121 that has a blank or stamped back. The series of cards this particular card comes from is an exact copy of the W501 set printed on the same type of paper with the same quality printing and with the same checklist, the only difference being that the normal numbers at top of the W501 aren't there. Also I have purchased a few original collections that had these "w501-2's" mixed in with regular W501's and on a few occasions the original owner even wrote in pen or pencil the W501 number in the upper corner where it would have been found in a regular w501.

All this leads me to believe that the designation I gave them to be more accurate. If anybody was still updating the SCD Standard Catalog I would have tried to get them to update the sets but that doesn't seem to be a thing they are interested in keeping up to date.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

-Rhett Yeakley

garymc
03-30-2017, 07:15 PM
I asked because I saw the card and got very interested. I have a little run of Walter Schang cards and I'm always looking to add to it. I'm not new to collecting and have a lot of respect of the forum members on their expertise of vintage material, so......I asked for their advise. I still would like to hear other members opinion. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.....I'm always looking to learn more about my collecting interests !!!!

brianp-beme
03-30-2017, 08:17 PM
Hi Rhett, do you consider this one to also be a W501-2 card?

Brian

rhettyeakley
03-30-2017, 08:28 PM
I asked because I saw the card and got very interested. I have a little run of Walter Schang cards and I'm always looking to add to it. I'm not new to collecting and have a lot of respect of the forum members on their expertise of vintage material, so......I asked for their advise. I still would like to hear other members opinion. Sorry if I offended you in anyway.....I'm always looking to learn more about my collecting interests !!!!

Didn't mean to come off as offended or defensive, I apologize if it seemed that way.

The E121 like sets are one of my main areas of interest and I have spent a lot of time researching them and trying to make sense of it all. I don't fault anyone for not knowing these issues as they have remained mostly unknown since they were first produced in 1921-1922. Honestly, I love that someone is even talking about them.

rhettyeakley
03-30-2017, 08:29 PM
Hi Rhett, do you consider this one to also be a W501-2 card?

Brian

Yes, and if you look in the upper corner someone has written a small number and that is exactly what I was referencing in my previous post. This isn't the first example I have seen numbered in that fashion.

brianp-beme
03-31-2017, 06:12 PM
Yes, and if you look in the upper corner someone has written a small number and that is exactly what I was referencing in my previous post. This isn't the first example I have seen numbered in that fashion.

Thanks Rhett for the confirmation. You're the E121 and related sets Man!

Brian

Leon
04-02-2017, 08:09 AM
After my recent issues with these series I have come to the conclusion that the TPG's are mostly clueless on these issues. Actually, I think they are kind of pathetic on them.

There is a card for sale on eBay that the seller is stating that, " don't be confused this is not a W575-1 but a second print of a W501???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132137983916

I never heard of a W501-2 and can't find any info on this type of card ? Being a type collector I find this interesting.

garymc
04-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I have no clue what "TPG" means. Being that I'm just getting back to my collection after many years, I had to ask what bump meant ???

Can somebody refer to any discussion or articles on W501-2, I really find this interesting !!!!

kmac32
04-02-2017, 01:02 PM
I have no clue what "TPG" means. Being that I'm just getting back to my collection after many years, I had to ask what bump meant ???

Can somebody refer to any discussion or articles on W501-2, I really find this interesting !!!!

TPG is third party graders. Ie PSA, SGC, etc