PDA

View Full Version : Storing a Delicate Photo

Topnotchsy
03-29-2017, 04:09 PM
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a very old and fragile (read: beaten up :) ) picture and I was wondering what the best way to store it was. It came from the auctions house in a plastic "bag" (not sure the proper word for it) with a piece of cardboard to keep it from bending, but I want to make sure I keep it in a way that it does not get more damaged.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

jcmtiger
03-29-2017, 05:41 PM
If it is worth to you get it framed by a professional framer.

Joe

drcy
03-30-2017, 01:19 AM
If you get acid free paper or plastic sheets and store it in between that and in a book, it should store well for a long time.

Handling and rehandling of items causes the most damage.

Bpm0014
03-30-2017, 07:09 AM
Frame it...

vintagesportscollector
03-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Agree..frame it. Would present much better too, framed. Nice pic. A good frame and mat would draw attention to the nice image and minimize the impact of the roached edges.

Den*nis O*Brien
03-31-2017, 03:10 PM
Don't forget to ask the framer for the BEST UV A&B deflecting glass. It is worth the relatively small extra over regular glass. I have recently read that this glass has a somewhat short life span...but then there is UV film to protect your UV glass!?!?

Den*nis O*Brien
03-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Don't forget to ask the framer for the BEST UV A&B deflecting glass. It is worth the relatively small extra over regular glass. I have recently read that this glass has a somewhat short life span...but then there is UV film to protect your UV glass!?!?

Lordstan
03-31-2017, 09:45 PM

Actually this is one of the reasons I went the opposite way and got regular glass but put in all LED lights instead which put out virtually no UV. PLus I have only one small window, so virtually no ambient light gets inside.

Joshwesley
04-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Acid free backing and museum glass..

Extra cost is not much at all!

thecatspajamas
04-02-2017, 06:53 PM
If you want to be able to look at it, but not take up wall space, just put it in a Mylar sleeve, then slide the sleeve in the next size up toploader for rigidity. The trickiest part will be sliding the photo into the sleeve without snagging one of the raw edges. Once in a sleeve, handling will be easier. Both toploaders and sleeves come in all kinds of dimensions.

Jason19th
04-02-2017, 06:54 PM
I have thought a lot about this and think
I have the best solution - send me the photo I will take care of it and you will never need to worry about it again

Topnotchsy
04-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

If you want to be able to look at it, but not take up wall space, just put it in a Mylar sleeve, then slide the sleeve in the next size up toploader for rigidity. The trickiest part will be sliding the photo into the sleeve without snagging one of the raw edges. Once in a sleeve, handling will be easier. Both toploaders and sleeves come in all kinds of dimensions.

At the moment I do not have a place to display this, so this might make the most sense. Thanks!