PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Pennant Help

Dalkiel
03-24-2017, 07:00 AM
Can anyone give me an approximate date/value. Based on the stuff it came with, I'm thinking late 40's or early 50's. It's full-size. Thanks!

ooo-ribay
03-24-2017, 08:46 AM
I've always thought 40s-50s, as well. It seems to be a fairly generic pennant based on my NY Giants example. As far as value....yours in in great shape. In my experience, blue is one of the most "prone to fading" colors and yours is vibrant. So, condition is a plus. "Value," to me, has always meant what someone is willing to pay. I have no idea of the market for White Sox stuff, especially from that era. IMO, selling that pennant on ebay would be a crapshoot. I wouldn't put it up at $9.99 because it might sell for that. On the other hand, if three people wanted it, I could see it topping $100. As always, it boils down to supply and demand.

Dalkiel
03-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Interesting that the same image was used for other teams. Thanks for posting the picture.

Edit: Not exactly the same. Your sliding player is #2 and mine is #3. I'm sure it's totally irrelevant.

ooo-ribay
03-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Interesting that the same image was used for other teams. Thanks for posting the picture.

Edit: Not exactly the same. Your sliding player is #2 and mine is #3. I'm sure it's totally irrelevant.

If other "team" pennant collectors weigh in, I'm 99% sure we'll see other teams with the same image.

keithsky
03-24-2017, 10:03 AM
I collect white sox items and have some pennants and I'm no expert but would say the condition its in from the pictures looks like it has a little tip missing and it looks wavy or ripples in it would say it's around a 50.00 item

RedsFan1941
03-24-2017, 10:05 AM
If other "team" pennant collectors weigh in, I'm 99% sure we'll see other teams with the same image.

I have Reds and Indians version. The sliding player is wearing number 4.

perezfan
03-24-2017, 11:27 AM
White Sox is probably a bit rarer than most in this version. Still not a barn burner. NY Giants and Yankees are probably the most common.

That said, it's probably a $65 - $75 pennant. If listing on eBay, I would go with a $79 Buy It Now, and Best Offer option. And if I got an offer of $60 or more, I'd accept it.

Hope this helps!

Dalkiel
03-24-2017, 12:37 PM
White Sox is probably a bit rarer than most in this version. Still not a barn burner. NY Giants and Yankees are probably the most common.

That said, it's probably a $65 - $75 pennant. If listing on eBay, I would go with a $79 Buy It Now, and Best Offer option. And if I got an offer of $60 or more, I'd accept it.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! I appreciate it!

ooo-ribay
03-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Hope this helps!

^^^^ that's the Guru speaking, right there. :p

Sound advice.

mjkm90
03-24-2017, 01:32 PM
It took me FOREVER to find a Cubs example from this run, and I have never seen another. The Sox example is pretty rare as well.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/imagejpg2_zpsbdfb9fe7.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mjkm90/media/imagejpg2_zpsbdfb9fe7.jpg.html)

ooo-ribay
03-24-2017, 01:53 PM
It took me FOREVER to find a Cubs example from this run, and I have never seen another. The Sox example is pretty rare as well.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mjkm90/imagejpg2_zpsbdfb9fe7.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mjkm90/media/imagejpg2_zpsbdfb9fe7.jpg.html)

Kind of interesting that the Cubs' version didn't get the "3D" lettering.

mjkm90
03-24-2017, 02:52 PM
I've never noticed that Rob:eek:

lefty147
03-24-2017, 05:43 PM
I like the red background color Mike.

thetahat
03-24-2017, 06:05 PM
The Sox pennant may have a slightly flat tip but I am confident that many were made that way (unintentionally perhaps) in production. I have similar pennants from this time period and same style that are otherwise mint and even with the blunt tip, full length. Pennants of this type often had a little notch on one edge and you'd even sometimes see a clean break in the strip at the wide end, like one reel ran out and another one started and they just machine-sewed 'em both together. I have a Phillies Blue Jay pennant that has this feature, will try to find and post.

thetahat
03-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Kind of interesting that the Cubs' version didn't get the "3D" lettering.

The Phillies' version is unique in that it doesn't list the city but shows the team name in its then-official font. Have seen every other team in this style except the Philadelphia A's and Pirates.