PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Dallas Green

GregMitch34
03-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Former pitcher and tough-guy manager (Phils, Yanks, Mets) has just died. I had a head's up because one of my best longtime friends knew him and family very well, as he used to babysit his kids. Through this friend, I got to meet him and sit with his wonderful wife behind dugouts at both Shea and Yankee Stadium. His wife amazed us with stories of her skydiving in her 60s. I went way back with Dallas--having seen him pitch for the Buffalo Bisons as a kid around 1959....I still have card below...http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=266919&stc=1&d=1490233885

Snapolit1
03-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Seemed like kind of a hardass guy but very honest and fair, and despite a gruff exterior a really decent person. Many nice things being said about him on Twitter by Mets and Phillies beat reporters.

pclpads
03-23-2017, 01:37 AM
Don't think he ever recovered from losing his granddaughter in that Giffords shooting. Very sad.

clydepepper
03-23-2017, 05:12 AM
Former pitcher and tough-guy manager (Phils, Yanks, Mets) has just died. I had a head's up because one of my best longtime friends knew him and family very well, as he used to babysit his kids. Through this friend, I got to meet him and sit with his wonderful wife behind dugouts at both Shea and Yankee Stadium. His wife amazed us with stories of her skydiving in her 60s. I went way back with Dallas--having seen him pitch for the Buffalo Bisons as a kid around 1959....I still have card below...http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=266919&stc=1&d=1490233885

Very Cool, Greg - Thanks for sharing!

talkinbaseball
03-24-2017, 04:13 PM
So sad that he lost his granddaughter in that horrific act.

john

roarfrom34
03-26-2017, 09:19 AM
I think around 2014 or so I sent a letter to him in care of the Phillies asking if he had any plans on coming up to any games in Lehigh Valley (Phillies AAA), because I had wanted a signed copy of his autobiography, as well as to just shake his hand (also expressed my condolences for the loss of his granddaughter).

About a week or so later, I received a package from him which included his biography (signed/inscribed) and he included a nice note letting me know that while he had no set plans on coming up to the Lehigh Valley, he thanked me for my thoughts.

brian1961
03-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Bill, I am glad you reached out to Dallas, during his great sorrow, to send sincere sympathy regards. We all need help and support from others during the wretched times of our lives. Personally, I am nearing a couple very sad anniversaries, and I truly thank God for the people who help my family in their darkest hours.

Best regards, Brian Powell