PDA

View Full Version : Clarification of auction description

CardMD
03-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Can anyone clarify what they meant below? Is it that the grade should be lower? Is that a warning that it was overgraded or missed by PSA? Or is that appropriate since the front is spectacular and would be graded higher? Sorry to out a card in auction but I was hoping to try to understand the true value. Thanks

Graded EX 5 by PSA. Hall of Famer. “Sweet Caporal - 150 Subjects” back. Among a total of more than 700 copies recorded in PSA's census reporting, just forty-seven examples have been placed at a higher, unqualified tier. Natural corner wear is extremely mild on this attractive specimen of the classic Cobb illustration, and its frontal appearance is extraordinarily clean and fresh. Close examination of the brightly printed reverse side reveals two spots of superficial paper loss at the left edge; the presence of these discrepancies is inconsistent with the card's assigned grade. Excellent condition.

HOF Auto Rookies
03-15-2017, 09:09 AM
To me, it sounds like it got graded higher than it should and they are covering themselves by describing the paper loss.

Rhotchkiss
03-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Fully agree. I have been looking at this card and have decided to pass because of the paper loss. I believe the AH is saying that the actual grade given is higher than/inconsistent with what other cards with this type of paper loss normally grade out to. I do not think they are intending to say it would grade higher but for the paper loss. Its a cover ass statement and, frankly, a refreshing, honest disclosure

CardMD
03-15-2017, 09:18 AM
Fully agree. I have been looking at this card and have decided to pass because of the paper loss. I believe the AH is saying that the actual grade given is higher than/inconsistent with what other cards with this type of paper loss normally grade out to. I do not think they are intending to say it would grade higher but for the paper loss. Its a cover ass statement and, frankly, a refreshing, honest disclosure

That is what I was leaning towards. Sucks because I can't stop looking at the front. Its a beauty.

oldjudge
03-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Translation-There are two big ass spots of paper loss on the rear from where it appears to have been glued into a scrapbook. PSA screwed up the grade and it should be much lower.

CardMD
03-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Translation-There are two big ass spots of paper loss on the rear from where it appears to have been glued into a scrapbook. PSA screwed up the grade and it should be much lower.

The more I look at it, shouldn't it be a 7 without the paper loss? Does the paper loss drop it more that a OC? I thought the general rule for OC is a 2 point drop to have the OC removed? Does that apply for paper loss?

Rich Falvo
03-15-2017, 09:25 AM
"Blame PSA, not us. We didn't give it this grade."

ullmandds
03-15-2017, 09:34 AM
love the "classic cobb illustration" verbiage...makes me want to vomit!!!!

glchen
03-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Paper loss like that, even with a spectacular front, will usually drop the card's grade to 1.5 or 2.

irv
03-15-2017, 10:14 AM
The more I look at it, shouldn't it be a 7 without the paper loss? Does the paper loss drop it more that a OC? I thought the general rule for OC is a 2 point drop to have the OC removed? Does that apply for paper loss?

With the paper loss and staining on the reverse, this card should be a PR-1 as per their own guidelines, if I am not mistaken?

Without seeing the front but going by the description, it has been talked about many times that TPG's should be less critical with back flaws than front ones, but as far as I know, nothing has changed in regards to that.

pokerplyr80
03-15-2017, 10:32 AM

There is no pl qualifier for paper loss. I did not notice this thread until after I started one on the same card. And as others have stated the answer to your first question is they are admitting the card should not be graded a 5 with paper loss.

PhillipAbbott79
03-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Ditto. Seen it and walked right past it. It would be a 5 if it had the paper. It doesn't, it is not a 5. They are down playing the severity of it. It should be a 2, but it obviously would command more dollars than a 2.

Neither was 'tick mark' in PWCCs auction a few months ago which is their way of saying there is a deep puncture in the card that pulled the paper up and it is almost gone. I am passing also.

PhillipAbbott79
03-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Definitely not a 7 by any stretch, not even a 6.

Steve D
03-15-2017, 01:52 PM
PSA's rules, I believe, stipulate that the highest grade a card with paper loss can get, is a 2.

Steve

Yoda
03-15-2017, 03:35 PM
SGC would crucify this card. A 1.5 at best.

Leon
03-17-2017, 04:15 PM

yeap

JustinD
03-17-2017, 04:20 PM

Totally, and you hit it with "at best".

pokerplyr80
03-17-2017, 04:43 PM
Any thoughts on how this ended up in a psa 5 holder in the first place? Hard to imagine psa could miss not one but two spots of paper loss on the back.

JustinD
03-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Seems like the buyer of this one is owed some money, if I was the seller I would pull it and do this first. Selling it now will net a loss.

"If PSA, in fact, concludes that the card in question no longer merits the PSA grade assigned or fails PSA’s authenticity standards, PSA will either:

Buy the card from the submitter at the current market value if the card can no longer receive a numerical grade under PSA's standards or,

Refund the difference in value between the original PSA grade and the current PSA grade if the grade is lowered. In this case, the card will also be returned to the customer along with the refund for the difference in value."

Vintagecatcher
03-17-2017, 06:23 PM
Here's a PSA 7 that was on eBay last week.

Patrick

Sean
03-17-2017, 10:55 PM
I think that that rates more than a two grade reduction. :rolleyes:

Stampsfan
03-18-2017, 12:31 AM
"Only a flesh wound..."
:D

Leon
03-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Here's a PSA 7 that was on eBay last week.

Patrick

Nice card.....LMAO.....and all that is wrong with buying the grade. :eek: