PDA

View Full Version : Colgan's rarity

Touch'EmAll
03-13-2017, 10:42 AM
Just trying to get opinion. Which do you think is more desirable and rare - the Colgan's Red Boarders or the Colgan's Tin Tops. In the same grade, would you rather have the Red Boarder or the Tin Top? Thanks.

Leon
03-13-2017, 10:49 AM
Just trying to get opinion. Which do you think is more desirable and rare - the Colgan's Red Boarders or the Colgan's Tin Tops. In the same grade, would you rather have the Red Boarder or the Tin Top? Thanks.

I like the red borders more but think I have seen more of them than the regular Tin Tops.....The Steinfeldt has a regular back, that is a blank tin top next to it that was in the cannister to protect the card from the gum (I believe).

http://luckeycards.com/pe270redsteinfeldt.jpg

jbsports33
03-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Red borders are very hard to find, at least in the Northeast - never see one unless you are looking at auctions

Jimmy

brianp-beme
03-13-2017, 06:15 PM
The Steinfeldt has a regular back, that is a blank tin top next to it that was in the cannister to protect the card from the gum (I believe).

Leon, I believe those blank discs were installed in the tins for protection, but more likely to protect the gum from the ink of the card. But I can understand that as collectors of these 100 year old precious things we of course like to think the other way.

Brian

brianp-beme
03-13-2017, 06:18 PM
I would say overall the Red Borders are more desirable and popular because of their distinctive borders, but Tin Tops have their following too because there are many cards/images not seen in the regular E254 Colgan's set.

Brian

midmo
03-13-2017, 10:57 PM
I also like the red borders a little more because they're different. I still don't have any Tin Tops. My experience with them is limited, but the Tin Tops have been tougher for me to find (especially when looking for specific players).

http://www.collectingbrooklyn.com/net54/1912E270DaubertRucker.jpg

GregMitch34
03-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Aren't prices for mid- to high-grade regular (non-red) Colgan's Chips for HOFers going up nicely? Or not? Seems like NMs for top HOFers are good investments.

midmo
03-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Aren't prices for mid- to high-grade regular (non-red) Colgan's Chips for HOFers going up nicely? Or not? Seems like NMs for top HOFers are good investments.

I hope not. I'm not a fan of prices going up. It just costs me more to add things to my collection. :)

rhettyeakley
03-14-2017, 10:12 AM
The Tin Top set is far and away the more interesting set, once one gets past the novelty of the red borders being different.

The problem with the Red Border set is that it is simply a reprint of the regular E254 set but with lower quality images and often with poor centering. The exception being two Louisvile players that have not yet been found in the regular E254 set and a few small stylistic changes (like we see on the Cobb, Hughes,etc) that have their names on their chests instead of floating in the air by their heads. These exceptions also sell much better and for higher amounts than their regular Red Border counterparts.

The Tin Top set consists of almost 50% new players that were not in the E254 set along with a lot of team changes and in all honesty the player selection is superior (Jackson, Thorpe, Johnson, And many other HoFers not featured in the earlier sets).

I have always paid more and had an easier time selling the Tin Tops than the Red Borders.

midmo
03-14-2017, 07:04 PM
The Tin Top set is far and away the more interesting set, once one gets past the novelty of the red borders being different.

The problem with the Red Border set is that it is simply a reprint of the regular E254 set but with lower quality images and often with poor centering. The exception being two Louisvile players that have not yet been found in the regular E254 set and a few small stylistic changes (like we see on the Cobb, Hughes,etc) that have their names on their chests instead of floating in the air by their heads. These exceptions also sell much better and for higher amounts than their regular Red Border counterparts.

The Tin Top set consists of almost 50% new players that were not in the E254 set along with a lot of team changes and in all honesty the player selection is superior (Jackson, Thorpe, Johnson, And many other HoFers not featured in the earlier sets).

I have always paid more and had an easier time selling the Tin Tops than the Red Borders.

These are great points and really illustrates that desirability is subjective. For me, I'm primarily a type collector so the depth of a set might not necessarily effect me. It sounds like the Tin Tops would be much more interesting for set collectors or certain player collectors that are included in this issue, but excluded from the others.

Great info Rhett, I wasn't aware of the drastic differences in these sets. I just have a few players on my want list and haven't researched beyond that.

Myachelydra
03-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Both are definitely challenging compared to the E254's.

For my money I would like a well-centered red border over a tin top as a type; but if you are a player collector and are looking for an ultra rare example Tin Tops are the way to go. I snagged a Tin Top Keeler a couple years ago; honestly can't say that I know of more than one other example.

Leon
03-17-2017, 10:44 AM
I think the red borders are more visually appealing too. Too bad Joe J didn't come in the set..

Both are definitely challenging compared to the E254's.

For my money I would like a well-centered red border over a tin top as a type; but if you are a player collector and are looking for an ultra rare example Tin Tops are the way to go. I snagged a Tin Top Keeler a couple years ago; honestly can't say that I know of more than one other example.