PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Ty Cobb Auto Real/Fake? Thoughts?

Tanman7baseball
03-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Hi fellas,

It has been awhile since I have posted... I just recently started collecting again and I stumbled across a few autographs. I don't normally buy autographs but this Ty Cobb auto really intrigued me at this estate sale.

Before I pull the trigger, may I ask for some opinions in regards to there authenticity? I have bought fake autographs in the past before and it hurt... It still hurts, but time does heal all wounds eventually.

So again, please write any opinions/concerns you may have!

Thank you and I appreciate your help,

Colby

P.S. Please let me know if this is the appropriate thread to be posting about this type of thing.

Tanman7baseball
03-10-2017, 02:48 PM

yanksfan09
03-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Mantle is definitely bad.

Would help if you could flip photo. What is the Cobb signed on? photo? Looks like it may not be an old enough item to me but really not sure.

yanksfan09
03-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Is the Cobb item a glossy photo cut? or more paper like ? The corners look so sharp on it just seems like it might not be a vintage item, idk.

Tanman7baseball
03-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Is the Cobb item a glossy photo cut? or more paper like ? The corners look so sharp on it just seems like it might not be a vintage item, idk.

...That is a great question. From what I remember it is a glossy photo I... I never took it out and checked. Is that a key giveaway of it potentially being fake?

Tanman7baseball
03-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Mantle is definitely bad.

Would help if you could flip photo. What is the Cobb signed on? photo? Looks like it may not be an old enough item to me but really not sure.

Here is a zoomed version of the Cobb photo from the original post. Thank you for the Mickey Mantle opinion. It didn't look right to me either. "M" looked to thin and shaky.

Tanman7baseball
03-10-2017, 03:25 PM
I also found this 1939 Chicago Cubs signed photo with Bill Lee, Stan Hack, Jim Gleeson, Joe Marty, Dick Bartell, Gus Mancuso, Phil Cavarretta and Billy Herman.

Don't understand why they are pretending to row though? It has a PSA COA and has a price of $395 firm. I thought that was a little steep for those players, but then again I don't really know. I couldn't find any pieces that have sold that were remotely comparable...

yanksfan09
03-10-2017, 05:22 PM
I'm really not sure what the cobb item is exactly. You should post the cobb on the autograph side and get some more expert opinions.

mickey7mantle7
03-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Mantle is definitely off.

Assuming you are at a LCS? Remind me not to go there lol. Seems like they sell a lot of fakes...

PS: The Nolan Ryan auto doesn't look right either. I am no expert by any means, but you can easily compare it to others online as reference.