PDA

View Full Version : One for the Gripper?

1963Topps Set
03-09-2017, 03:58 PM
This is the first time I have seen this. Can anyone explain this?

GasHouseGang
03-09-2017, 05:43 PM
Maybe it's part of the printing press, and shows the orientation of the sheet? I really don't know, that's weird.

JustinD
03-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Maybe it's part of the printing press, and shows the orientation of the sheet? I really don't know, that's weird.

I would imagine it is this.

Most likely an instruction for placing the sheet in the press. I collect miscuts and oddballs though and would have been happy to have picked it up for the 2.75 it sold for.

toppcat
03-10-2017, 04:38 PM
Wow, that's really neat!

I'm thinking it's for the cutting process. Gripper placement would definitely impact condition of some cards.

steve B
03-10-2017, 07:00 PM
The gripper could be the part that clamps the plate in the press. So gripper with an arrow would be a note on what way to install the plate.

Or it could be related to the cutter. I'd have thought they were using a normal cutter that cut stacks of sheets in the early 60's, but I'm pretty sure they were using some sort of automatic cutter by at least 78. I have a few cards I found new back then that have odd damage across the card that I labeled "gripper tracks" For lack of a better name.

I'll have to scan one.

Steve B

Pingboy333
03-11-2017, 03:10 AM
In the printing process, the gripper is the lead edge that the press grips the paper from. One side or the other (right or left) is the guide, depending on the press. This ensures that the paper sheet stays in registration during printing and also dictates the direction you cut it down from after printing. Hope that helps.

quitcrab
03-11-2017, 04:40 AM
You should change your screen name to " The Gripper".Sounds cool! Cool find!