PDA

View Full Version : Olin vs Lewis 1935 Championship TIcket

smokelessjoe
03-09-2017, 07:19 AM
Hi all,

I have this Olin vs Lewis 1935 Championship Ticket and wanted to ask about rarity and value? I have checked all over the internet and cannot find another? Is this something that is sought after or not really? Seems like it was an important moment in Boxing so I thought I might have something here.?

Thank you,
Shawn

D. Bergin
03-09-2017, 10:25 AM
Bob Olin vs. John Henry Lewis for the World Light Heavyweight Title in St. Louis.

Probably fairly rare but not very valuable. That's the end stub portion and not the main ticket portion.

Might be $15-25 bucks on a good day at auction. Maybe a little more in a retail setting.

When you say important moment, I assume you mean John Henry Lewis being the 1st African-American to win the Light Heavyweight title.

Lewis was a very good boxer and a Hall of Famer, but unfortunately he has never had much of a following among collectors.

smokelessjoe
03-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Hi Dave,

Perfect, exactly the info I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Thank you,
Shawn

sthoemke
03-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Here is a newspaper write-up for the Halloween fight.

D. Bergin
03-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Here is a newspaper write-up for the Halloween fight.

Interesting. Shows how little fans cared about the Light Heavyweight division back then.

It's a big reason why Joe Louis gave his friend a title shot in the Heavyweight division for one last (and by far his biggest) payday, before he was forced to retire due to an old eye injury at only 25 years of age.

Lewis was no match for Louis, but it gave him a little nest egg to go out on.