PDA

View Full Version : 1915 CJ Mathewson Ebay Fake

yanksfan09
03-07-2017, 07:22 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRISTY-MATHEWSON-1915-CRACKER-JACK-88-NEW-YORK-NATIONALS-BASEBALL-CARD-WOW-/132119180873?

Just a heads up to the board. I messaged this seller about the item so hopefully he will take it down. He has great feedback so I think it could be an honest mistake. But just don't want to see anyone make an offer on the card here as it is fake. Besides the wrong card stock and artificial aging, the print on the reverse should be upside down but isn't

CrackaJackKid
03-07-2017, 07:28 PM
I messaged him as well telling him it was fake. He replied that he wasn't in no hurry to take down since it's so overpriced.

brianp-beme
03-07-2017, 07:36 PM
I messaged him as well telling him it was fake. He replied that he wasn't in no hurry to take down since it's so overpriced.

His answer took as much time as removing the listing, or relisting it as a fake and moving the decimal three spaces to the left.

Brian

CrackaJackKid
03-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Now he has "Reprint???" In the title. Sounds like he wants to be fishing.

yanksfan09
03-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Pretty silly. I guess I won't bother worrying about it if he's gonna go with the old questionable authenticity? routine...

EvilKing00
03-07-2017, 08:15 PM
I emailed him- Seems like a decend guy- wanted to know what to do with the card. I told him to give it to his kids to get them started collecting. Hopefully he takes my advice

Beastmode
03-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Let me get this right. Someone is going to spend 5 digits on a raw card, and have no idea or knowledge of it's authenticity?

What continues to astound me is there are buyers our there that are spending large amounts of money and have no fricken clue what they are doing or investing in (ex; see PWCC Dimaggio thread).

These same buyers, whom seem to have unlimited funds, probably ran a business or excelled in their profession to obtain that money. However, when they purchase baseball cards, they remove their brain and throw due-diligence out the window.

Then they come on net54 and cry the blues about how they were ripped off buying restored cards, or got shilled, or bought a fake, etc. This hobby is really incredible.

gregr2
03-08-2017, 04:27 AM
Well now the price has dropped significantly to $999.99 and it also states "Reprint" .

scottbdoug
03-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Let me get this right. Someone is going to spend 5 digits on a raw card, and have no idea or knowledge of it's authenticity?

What continues to astound me is there are buyers our there that are spending large amounts of money and have no fricken clue what they are doing or investing in (ex; see PWCC Dimaggio thread).

These same buyers, whom seem to have unlimited funds, probably ran a business or excelled in their profession to obtain that money. However, when they purchase baseball cards, they remove their brain and throw due-diligence out the window.

Then they come on net54 and cry the blues about how they were ripped off buying restored cards, or got shilled, or bought a fake, etc. This hobby is really incredible.

Whats interesting is that the collectors you mention, and even others with more prudence as well, are one of the main reasons there are so many fakes in the first place. That is, everyone with even a middle class bankroll are willing to pay thousands of dollars for small pieces of cardboard. Unlike money, these cards were never printed with the idea that someone may try to create fakes. But the large sums the cards garner, opens up the creation of fakes, and very good ones at that. I actually wouldn't be surprised if 1-5% of all vintage cards that have been graded are fakes that have passed the test. Of course I could be wrong.

I may be "blaming the victim" on this one, but it is difficult to disagree that if cards were being purchases for small sums of money, fakes wouldn't be much of an issue.

brianp-beme
03-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Well now the price has dropped significantly to $999.99 and it also states "Reprint" .

His decimal point is moving in the correct direction, it just needs to keep leapfrogging more 9's.

Brian

Leon
03-10-2017, 07:32 AM
I had someone show me one like that at a local show not long ago. They thought it was real and I couldn't convince the folks it was yucky. It wasn't even close. Then Beckett on site grading, if I recall correctly, told them to save their money :)....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRISTY-MATHEWSON-1915-CRACKER-JACK-88-NEW-YORK-NATIONALS-BASEBALL-CARD-WOW-/132119180873?

Just a heads up to the board. I messaged this seller about the item so hopefully he will take it down. He has great feedback so I think it could be an honest mistake. But just don't want to see anyone make an offer on the card here as it is fake. Besides the wrong card stock and artificial aging, the print on the reverse should be upside down but isn't