PDA

View Full Version : John Rogers, it's official

Rich Klein
03-07-2017, 02:42 PM
As an SI writer wrote about pending layoffs at ESPN, this is presented joylessly and without any other comments

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/rogers-pleads-guilty-fraud-charges-see-lengthy-prison-sentence/?utm_content=buffer05ee6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Regards
Rich

packs
03-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Anyone know where they're going to sell his stuff?

KMayUSA6060
03-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Disgusting and further evidence of the evils of money and greed.

Probably a good time to remind people of the Golden Rule...

Treat others the way you wish to be treated.

SMPEP
03-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Not sure where they're going to sell the photos ... but they will be hard to sell.

We all know he had real photos. We all also know he made fakes.

Unless they get stuff authenticated before, there's no way to know which is which.

Seems like a total mess trying to figure out how to sell this collection.

Cheers,
Patrick

packs
03-07-2017, 03:39 PM
I guess it depends on the age. Is it easy to replicate that "silvering" that occurs on old Type 1's?

prewarsports
03-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Most of Rogers fakes (99% at least) were peeled off to specific high end collectors and institutions to use as collateral for loans. He was smart enough to know that forums like this and educated collectors would be on to his schemes quickly if he tried to sell modern fakes to the general public. So the good news (if anything that can come from this is good) is that relatively few fakes were leaked into the general collectors stream. Almost all the fakes he sold to the higher end collectors have been identified and are not circulating in the hobby. It is my understanding that the photos he has left (which are not high end items to get excited about) are being sold in one group and will be gone through again to make sure no fakes hit the market. It is likely though that most of this stuff is real and not tainted as it was not processed for sale and was mostly lower end items for his ebay inventory.

doug.goodman
03-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Unless they get stuff authenticated before, there's no way to know which is which.

Because the people who get paid for their opinions have proven time and time again that they are experts in authenticating stuff.

Sorry, sarcasm is in my nature.

If Henry Yee or RMY (or somebody I'm forgetting who seems to know photos) take over the entire collection that would be best.

Doug

ls7plus
03-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Greed can be like a tsunami!

Best wishes,

Larry