PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need advice, how long is too long...

HOF Auto Rookies
03-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Hey Everyone,

So, I bought some high grade autographs a few years ago and this past summer. They were unauthenticated as I trusted the word of the seller. Fast forward to this past weekend and JSA was at a show here locally in MN so I decided to not hold of getting a ton of things authenticated in person finally because I am always weary of shipping thousands of items. 3 of the autographs in question had failed (2 from 2 years ago and 1 from this past summer).

Clearly, I would love to get a refund. My question to the board is, how long is too long? Did I miss my refund window and am SOL?

Thanks for all your help,

Brent

glchen
03-07-2017, 11:27 AM
You are most likely SOL, but you can always give it a shot if it is a reputable dealer. I have returned two items for partial refunds that I did not try to authenticate until 1-2 years after I purchased them. One of them was actually a consignment shop, so he would completely be losing money if I did the return. However, both times, I was able to get a partial refund. I did not request a full refund because I did not think it was fair to the seller either, so both times, we were able to come up with a reasonable refund that we were both okay with. However, if the seller says tough luck, there is really nothing you can do because you are past the credit card and paypal seller protections which are usually around a year.

HOF Auto Rookies
03-07-2017, 11:29 AM
You are most likely SOL, but you can always give it a shot if it is a reputable dealer. I have returned two items for partial refunds that I did not try to authenticate until 1-2 years after I purchased them. One of them was actually a consignment shop, so he would completely be losing money if I did the return. However, both times, I was able to get a partial refund. I did not request a full refund because I did not think it was fair to the seller either, so both times, we were able to come up with a reasonable refund that we were both okay with. However, if the seller says tough luck, there is really nothing you can do because you are past the credit card and paypal seller protections which are usually around a year.

I thought the seller was reputable and I called a good hobby friend. The seller has not replied to any of my emails in the past 3-4 days unfortunately.

packs
03-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Was it an auction house or an individual? If its an auction house I would think they'd want to work with you so as to keep you from outing them. If it's a seller who does a lot of sales you might want to approach it the same way. They could either make things right or you could give the board a heads up and let people decide if they want to do business with them.

HOF Auto Rookies
03-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Was it an auction house or an individual? If its an auction house I would think they'd want to work with you so as to keep you from outing them. If it's a seller who does a lot of sales you might want to approach it the same way. They could either make things right or you could give the board a heads up and let people decide if they want to do business with them.

An individual.

sam majors
03-07-2017, 12:07 PM
In the late 1980's - early 90's Muhammad Ali signed 3 or 4 times at the Atlanta show. These were big shows back then. I saw him sign 2 posters with my own eyes. The posters never left my possession. Seven or eight years later when the authenticating craze hit, I had the posters authenticated. Both failed in their opinion! Recall something about in their opinion the slant and pressure wasn't right and something about matching their exemplars. :confused: :confused: :confused:
I'd get a different opinion. Sam Majors

packs
03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Not really the same situation though. He didn't see these items signed and its possible that they could be bad.

HOF Auto Rookies
03-07-2017, 12:13 PM
In the late 1980's - early 90's Muhammad Ali signed 3 or 4 times at the Atlanta show. These were big shows back then. I saw him sign 2 posters with my own eyes. The posters never left my possession. Seven or eight years later when the authenticating craze hit, I had the posters authenticated. Both failed in their opinion! Recall something about in their opinion the slant and pressure wasn't right and something about matching their exemplars. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'd get a different opinion. Sam Majors

These couldn't be witnessed by the seller and I have gotten other opinions as well.

Stampsfan
03-07-2017, 12:28 PM
...and its possible that they could be bad.

And it's possible they could be good, and the authenticator doesn't know sh*t from jam, or which one to spread on his toast.

packs
03-07-2017, 12:44 PM
There are only possibilities when you're looking for an opinion.

Bpm0014
03-07-2017, 12:47 PM
I saw Michael Jordan sign a jersey in front of my own eyes. Failed PSA. It happens....

Jobu
03-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Gross - who puts jam on toast?

And it's possible they could be good, and the authenticator doesn't know sh*t from jam, or which one to spread on his toast.

HOF Auto Rookies
03-08-2017, 11:42 AM
Still no response from the seller. Almost been a week....

Republicaninmass
03-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Have an issue as well with auction house sale

Claims "some could have beem secretarial"

However 6 of the listed "big cards" failed

Will update

bnorth
03-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Still no response from the seller. Almost been a week....

Then you probably have your answer from the seller.

HOF Auto Rookies
03-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Then you probably have your answer from the seller.

Yeah, unfortunately you're probably right. Now, do I out the seller and open a big can of worms...I would hate for others to go through this and I know someone else is