PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Item on PWCC Auction

Yoda
03-05-2017, 11:26 AM
The latest PWCC rollout is now on Ebay. Cast a glance at Lot 10, 1921 Exhibits featuring Ruth, this is currently a hot card as I believe it is his first card in a Yankee uniform and features a rare fielding pose of him, along with Johnson, Yellow Horse and a couple of umps. The fronts look pretty good, but the obvious problem is the paper adhered to the reverses; it looks possibly like newspaper. Do you think these cards would be candidates for soaking in distilled water and careful removal of the backing? I am sure there might be many others pondering the same idea.

JustinD
03-05-2017, 11:36 AM
bidding is going to go way up now. :D

Econteachert205
03-05-2017, 11:37 AM
I'm always skeptical and think to myself, it was such a good candidate it probably already would have been done.

jfkheat
03-05-2017, 11:38 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-10-1921-Exhibits-w-Babe-Ruth-Walter-Johnson-Moses-Yellowhorse-AUTH-PWCC-/401285272202?hash=item5d6e77528a:g:yaEAAOSwfVpYuf0 0

bigfish
03-05-2017, 11:39 AM
It looks like someone tried on two of them....paperloss on the two test subjects halted the project. Now they are raw hoping someone will try it. These aren't going higher than a one in my opinion.

orly57
03-05-2017, 11:50 AM
It looks like someone tried on two of them....paperless on the two test subjects halted the project. Now they are raw hoping someone with try it. These aren't going higher than a one in my opinion.

Yeah, looks like they tried on the umpire cards first. But it will sell for upwards of 2k in my opinion, to someone who wants to give it a go.

RedsFan1941
03-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Funny, but because these exhibits have blank backs, the newspaper on the backs doesn't bother me a bit. But I am a collector and not a flipper/investor/card doctor ... or consignor. :D

JustinD
03-05-2017, 12:01 PM
To answer the question as well as I can...maybe.

the majority of cards can be soaked, but the card is far less important than the glue. It's a gamble that the glue is water soluble enough to remove it. It looks like a couple of these had "meh" results which show that it is unlikely to exceed those.

The real issue here is the one that is being overlooked by everyone but the person who consigned these likely because of it. It looks like the printing colors on the page glued to it are possibly water soluble. They look like it could have already leeched into the card stock slightly with the glue. Soaking may bleed it further and discolor the entire card stock. The umpire card that looks the best likely was the best candidate by having no color on the magazine page. Putting the entire group in with two "somewhat" successes to tempt bidders with a big payday vs. breaking them up seems like a logical plan.

Exhibitman
03-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Those are mostly 1922s...

SMPEP
03-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Wait I'm confused. Is $2k the price at which I'm guaranteed to be outbid, or is that the shill bid winning price?

It's so hard to keep track of the market these days.

Cheers,
Patrick Prickett

clydepepper
03-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Those backs are UUUUgly! What a shame!

buymycards
03-05-2017, 04:58 PM
The Camels Van Campen ad is from a Nov 20, 1939 Life Magazine.

If the glue was from the early 1920's, or even the early 1930's, I would take a chance, but in this instance, from the looks of the paper and the looks of the glue, and the probability that these were glued in the 1940's or later, I don't think that soaking these would yield a good result.

Republicaninmass
03-05-2017, 06:25 PM
I'm always skeptical and think to myself, it was such a good candidate it probably already would have been done.

I think Brent knows a guy. ...

prewarsports
03-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Exhibits essentially do not soak. They are a thin layer of paper on the front glued to crappy cardboard and every exhibit that I have ever seen soaked looks terrible with staining. If it presents well but has back issues, you are better off leaving it alone.

Paul S
03-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Definitely DO NOT soak. Below is my '21 Exhibit Sisler. It comes from a once wholly intact arcade display of 16 cards (yes, the Ruth was on there too). Washing machine on the floor above overflowed and I kick myself in the butt for idiotic neglect whenever I think about it.

Leon
03-06-2017, 06:11 AM
That would suck....
Definitely DO NOT soak. Below is my '21 Exhibit Sisler. It comes from a once wholly intact arcade display of 16 cards (yes, the Ruth was on there too). Washing machine on the floor above overflowed and I kick myself in the butt for idiotic neglect whenever I think about it.