PDA

View Full Version : Ultra rare HOF autograph now on Goldin Auctions

cjedmonton
03-03-2017, 08:57 AM
No matter how extensive one's HOF auto collection may be, it is almost guaranted to be missing Rube Waddell.

Incredible item...with a price to match (I have no connection to the piece, other than being a big fan of southpaws).

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=31048

jad22
03-03-2017, 12:23 PM
http://huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer_online.cfm?auction_num=33&lot_num=242&lot_qual=

This was the last one I remember coming up for auction.

Bruinsfan94
03-03-2017, 02:08 PM
http://huntauctions.com/live/imageviewer_online.cfm?auction_num=33&lot_num=242&lot_qual=

This was the last one I remember coming up for auction.

Is that ball legit? Looks crazy! How many Waddels are out there, and who is rarer? Beside like Joss?

JustinD
03-03-2017, 02:39 PM
10 grand and this is the last sentence?

"While the lack of printed Waddell exemplars makes formal signature authentication impossible, we do fully guarantee that both the baseball and ink are of the period"

:eek:

Bruinsfan94
03-03-2017, 02:44 PM

"While the lack of printed Waddell exemplars makes formal signature authentication impossible, we do fully guarantee that both the baseball and ink are of the period"

I'm no expert, but I'd have some real questions about that ball.

btcarfagno
03-03-2017, 09:16 PM
I had the high bid for a bit less than 24 hours on the Rube in the Goldin auction. That is about as close as I am going to get however.

Tom C

johnmh71
03-04-2017, 06:46 AM
I'm no expert, but I'd have some real questions about that ball.

+1

RichardSimon
03-04-2017, 07:08 AM

This from the auction house that brought you the infamous "Ed Delehenty" (misspelling his own name) ALS with TPA COA (I forget which famous TPA authenticated it).

WillowGrove
03-04-2017, 11:47 AM
This from the auction house that brought you the infamous "Ed Delehenty" (misspelling his own name) ALS with TPA COA (I forget which famous TPA authenticated it).

Richard please tell me that was not the spelling that was approved. Dele vs. the correct Dela is bad enough but did one of the big TPGs actually approve Delehenty???

Lordstan
03-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Richard please tell me that was not the spelling that was approved. Dele vs. the correct Dela is bad enough but did one of the big TPGs actually approve Delehenty???

I don't remember which either, but, Yes, a letter with a misspelled last name was given a letter by a TPA. It sold for $30K. I recall some evidence coming out that it was his manager who had signed it or something to that effect.
I don't remember the rest of the story, but I would be surprised if it was not returned.

Klrdds
03-04-2017, 09:25 PM
I have a copy of that non-authentic Delahanty letter in my files. If memory serves me it was in a Heritage auction a few years ago along with a few other ultra rare HoFer autographs including a Mike "King " Kelly cut and also a Ward letter . The Ward letter was the subject of considerable controversy. All 3 of theses items had LOAs from PSA if I remember correctly. In fact all 3 were proven to be non-authentic. Additionally PSA had the non- authentic Delahanty on its site as an authentic exemplar for a while. The Kelly was pulled from the auction but the 2 others were not and they did sell.

RichardSimon
03-04-2017, 09:27 PM

Mark is correct.
A handwritten letter (written by his personal manager probably) sold for $30K.
A little googling and I found out that both of the major TPA's authenticated the letter.
A telling incident concerning the relationship between AH's and TPA's.
The letter was signed Delehanty. I found the letter and here it is.

RichardSimon
03-04-2017, 09:36 PM
I have a copy of that non-authentic Delahanty letter in my files. If memory serves me it was in a Heritage auction a few years ago along with a few other ultra rare HoFer autographs including a Mike "King " Kelly cut and also a Ward letter . The Ward letter was the subject of considerable controversy. All 3 of theses items had LOAs from PSA if I remember correctly. In fact all 3 were proven to be non-authentic. Additionally PSA had the non- authentic Delahanty on its site as an authentic exemplar for a while. The Kelly was pulled from the auction but the 2 others were not and they did sell.

I think it kicked around in more than one auction. If memory serves me correctly Hunt had it at one time.

Klrdds
03-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Richard
That is the letter and you are correct about Hunt but I think Heritage was the last seller. Do you know for sure if they were ?

WillowGrove
03-05-2017, 07:10 AM
Thanks for showing the background of the Big Ed signature issue. TWO big TPGs got that wrong. Geez.

RichardSimon
03-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Richard
That is the letter and you are correct about Hunt but I think Heritage was the last seller. Do you know for sure if they were ?

Not sure about Heritage but sure about Hunt.