PDA

View Full Version : Photo restoration suggestions?

RelicSports
03-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good photo restorer? I have a photo that has several rips, minor paper loss that I would like to see about restoring. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks!

perezfan
03-03-2017, 10:14 AM
I suspect that someone will chime in with something/someone more specific. But Aaron Bros. has a permanent display at their framing counter, demonstrating "Before and After" comparisons for their photo restoration.

They use an early teens panorama as their example, and the results are pretty striking. They seem to be able to minimize/eliminate creases, paper loss, staining, fading, etc. I've never used them, but always notice this when I go in for frames and mats. It may be worth inquiring, if there's an Aaron Brothers near you.

Best of luck!

william_9
03-03-2017, 02:40 PM
I suspect that Aaron Bros "restoration" will involve scanning, digital retouching, and reprinting to achieve a clean end result. I could be wrong but I highly doubt they offer conservation services.

I'll have to do some digging through old emails but I have some contacts I can share. One is a photo retouching service that will be better than Aaron bros but is not a full service conservator. They'll retouch with gauche and color match missing pieces, but I don't think they have archival cleaning abilities. I might be wrong.

The other is a full conservation shop. I think the minimum cost for them to work on it will be around $500 and up depending on the size and extent of the photo and the damage.

murphusa
03-03-2017, 06:09 PM
I have use www.acapaperrestoration.com in Berwyn, pa twice with great results. Also used by Hunt auctions

clydepepper
03-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Twenty years ago, I sent a T206 Cobb off to be 'restored'...

let's just say I no longer believe in restorations.

IMHO, you risk a lot when you look to have this done. At best, it will always be listed as 'altered'.

Perhaps, the situation is different for photos - my experience is only with a card.

RelicSports
03-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info! The photo i was thinking of restoring is attached. There is a tear in the middle portion. I believe it would come out as a type 1 circa 1936 Dimaggio photo based on the signature/young Dimaggio. Do you think its worth restoring, or leave as is?

t.tomc
08-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Hi Drew. Great photo! I saw the thread and thought I would share the results of a recent photo I restored (I'm a paper conservator). You may recognize the guy in the photo :) The original photo itself was worked on and restored, nothing digital here. The photo had multiple tears, tape stains and ink on it.

irv
08-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Hi Drew. Great photo! I saw the thread and thought I would share the results of a recent photo I restored (I'm a paper conservator). You may recognize the guy in the photo :) The original photo itself was worked on and restored, nothing digital here. The photo had multiple tears, tape stains and ink on it.

Wow, nice job! :)