PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps Monte Irvin Printing anomaly?

Republicaninmass
03-02-2017, 08:00 AM
Just putting it out there for the experts to chime in on, looks like the yellow pass was obscured or missed the target?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-cards/i-m5H2nzp/0/M/irvinprinterror177-M.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other-cards/i-BLxhqFb/0/O/irvinprinterror178.jpg

Shoebox
03-02-2017, 08:43 AM
I would guess it is a result of it being partially obscured. It's cool looking.

con40
03-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Looks like the left side of the card was in the sun resulting in yellow ink fade, while the other 2/3 was under something (like cards fanned out in a card case in the sun).

Republicaninmass
03-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Thanks Keith, dont forget something cover the top 1/32 just below the black border the length of the card. :D

SMPEP
03-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Yellow ink fades in the sun much faster than black ink.

Sorry Ted - I vote defect created by person after original printing; not original printing defect.

If it was a legit original print defect, you would also see the same defect on at least one card for Grady Hatton, Gene Hermanski, another Irvin (meaning there would be another one just like this), Gil Hodges, Tommy Glaviano (actually at least 2 of these), Gordon Goldsberry, Preacher Roe and Eddie Stanky.

Cool card manipulation.

Just not a print defect from the original printer.

Cheers,
Patrick

Zach Wheat
03-03-2017, 06:21 AM
Yellow ink fades in the sun much faster than black ink.

Sorry Ted - I vote defect created by person after original printing; not original printing defect.

If it was a legit original print defect, you would also see the same defect on at least one card for Grady Hatton, Gene Hermanski, another Irvin (meaning there would be another one just like this), Gil Hodges, Tommy Glaviano (actually at least 2 of these), Gordon Goldsberry, Preacher Roe and Eddie Stanky.

Cool card manipulation.

Just not a print defect from the original printer.

Cheers,
Patrick

I don't completely buy into this thought. I have seen other 1952 Topps cards that are missing portions of the "yellow" pass in various places on the same card....even in the middle of the card. I initially thought the same thing as Ted - that something blocked or got in the way of the yellow ink being laid down.

Z