PDA

View Full Version : OT: 1922 First Intersectional Football Game Program? Atlanta vs Washington

smokelessjoe
03-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Hoping to get some help with this. My Mother purchased this football program (she is texting me pics at this moment) :) and I am having trouble finding anything on it? I am unfamiliar with the phrase "intersectional football" what does that mean? Does she have something special here? Thoughts on rarity, value etc would be appreciated.

Thank in advance,
Shawn

vintagesportscollector
03-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Shawn, I am not familiar with this, but "intersectional" refers to a game played between teams from different parts/regions of the country. Some quick searching show that American Legion football appears to have been an organization of semi-pro football teams, and they operated local leagues all over the country. Teams would typically just play other local teams in their state or neighboring states.

smokelessjoe
03-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Hi Joe,

Thank you for the information. Everything I am finding on the individual players listed in the program (some quite exceptional in their own right) leads me to think they would have been retired by this time? Kinda surprised given some of the talent that I cannot find anything on this particular event.

Shawn