PDA

View Full Version : Lou's Place

Yoda
03-01-2017, 02:41 PM
I don't know if anybody caught the recent a NY Times article about Lou Gehrig's childhood home in New Rochelle, NY, now foreclosed, rundown and owned by a local relator. I don't recall much of the history, but the house first was foreclosed in 1927 (1927!) but Lou bailed out his parents and all was well until 1937 when it was foreclosed again. This time, however, he refused to assist, perhaps decided by Eleanor's barking in his ear, and his folks moved to Florida. A picture showed the place definitely needing a facelift but still located in what appears to be a nice middle class neighborhood.
If I can recall, the realtor paid about $450k for the place and intends to put it on the market soon. There has been some talk, apparently, about turning it into a Gehrig Museum. The Yankee's front office has said they are not interested. (There is gratitude for you. I bet George would have gone for the idea in a big way.)
So, Leon, how about this: You float a limited subscription IPO, open only Net54 members, for say $1,000,000; 500K to buy it, 200K to fix it up, 100K to turn it into a museum, and 200K for expenses. We all know there are many deep-pocketed members here on the board, who can afford to buy very expensive baseball cards. I know it sounds crazy but the place has kinda caught my imagination, although three glasses of nice white wine no doubt fueled it.

Snapolit1
03-01-2017, 03:10 PM
I don't know if anybody caught the recent a NY Times article about Lou Gehrig's childhood home in New Rochelle, NY, now foreclosed, rundown and owned by a local relator. I don't recall much of the history, but the house first was foreclosed in 1927 (1927!) but Lou bailed out his parents and all was well until 1937 when it was foreclosed again. This time, however, he refused to assist, perhaps decided by Eleanor's barking in his ear, and his folks moved to Florida. A picture showed the place definitely needing a facelift but still located in what appears to be a nice middle class neighborhood.
If I can recall, the realtor paid about $450k for the place and intends to put it on the market soon. There has been some talk, apparently, about turning it into a Gehrig Museum. The Yankee's front office has said they are not interested. (There is gratitude for you. I bet George would have gone for the idea in a big way.)
So, Leon, how about this: You float a limited subscription IPO, open only Net54 members, for say $1,000,000; 500K to buy it, 200K to fix it up, 100K to turn it into a museum, and 200K for expenses. We all know there are many deep-pocketed members here on the board, who can afford to buy very expensive baseball cards. I know it sounds crazy but the place has kinda caught my imagination, although three glasses of nice white wine no doubt fueled it.

Not sure most zoning plans are going to allow you to turn a house in the middle of a residential street into a museum.

ErikV
03-01-2017, 04:32 PM
It's been on the market for a few months now. No activity so far...

https://www.redfin.com/NY/New-Rochelle/9-Meadow-Ln-10805/home/20010712

ErikV

Brian Van Horn
03-02-2017, 08:41 AM
Another site in addition to the one Erik noted. I love the enclosed porch:

https://www.6sqft.com/yankee-legend-lou-gehrigs-new-rochelle-family-home-is-for-sale-for-just-300k/

GoCubsGo32
03-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Besides the Lou story, the house has got some charm to it! It's a lovely house with some TLC.

If I had the funds, I would repair it...keep as much as possible original (up to code) and make it a bed and breakfast. Of course, serving the guest a "grand slam" breakfast :)

KMayUSA6060
03-02-2017, 09:59 AM
The person that needs to buy this house should have an incredible passion for baseball history, and LOTS of money. I'd like to see this house restored to its former glory. As GoCubsGo mentioned, a Bed & Breakfast would be cool, and assumably quite profitable.

I also feel that if this house is used to turn a profit of some sort, part of the profits should go to the ALS Association.

Jobu
03-02-2017, 10:22 AM
I know one thing: 3 glasses of nice white wine by 3:41 pm means that your Wednesday was a lot better than mine!

... I know it sounds crazy but the place has kinda caught my imagination, although three glasses of nice white wine no doubt fueled it.

AJR
03-02-2017, 11:31 AM
I work in New Rochelle... this is a very interesting thread.

If anyone gets any traction on something please let me know, would love to be involved in getting a museum or like off the ground. ALS Foundation donation is appropriate cross-over for funding and building donations.

Would be interested in participating in the process.

Thanks

Aaron

Enfuego
03-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Definitely a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErikV
03-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Guess someone on the board was serious about making it a museum. Soon as the listing went up a bid was submitted. The selling of Lou's house is in escrow and is now pending.

ErikV