PDA

View Full Version : DIY Toilet Paper Holder

KMayUSA6060
02-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I apologize Leon if posting this here is a no-no.

We are hopefully closing on our house next week, and a key part of the house is the Man Cave, which has a full bathroom off of it. The theme is going to be Patriotic/Baseball, so I have been looking for accessories to fit the theme. I found the idea for this TP holder on Pinterest, and instead of buying it for $25, I decided to make it.

A little bit about this...

- The bat handle I cut off a bat that was used in some minor league game. I'm looking to use the rest of that bat as a towel holder/rack.

- The back plate is designed to look like a diamond, or a base.

- The platform for the toilet paper is designed to look like a home plate.

- The wood is pallet wood.

- Not sure it's done yet. There is freshly cut wood showing on some of the edges, so I'd like to find a way to blend those.

Without further adieu, here is the end result...

http://i63.tinypic.com/1euhxf.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/34smp12.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/30beq07.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/ic92c1.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/98fs5u.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/52jeyx.jpg

BruceinGa
02-25-2017, 02:45 PM
Pine tar is too high on handle. ;)

Jerry G
02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
That's a winner!

Might be hard to get management approval at my house, though.

buymycards
02-25-2017, 02:47 PM
I just use my 1989 Topps cards for toilet paper.

kmac32
02-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Would be better with a Cardinal label so Cub fans could wipe their tush after going.

HRBAKER
02-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Would be better with a Cardinal label so Cub fans could wipe their tush after going.

108 years in the making! But good! :)

ValKehl
02-25-2017, 03:57 PM

I spewed my mouth full of beer all over my patio when I read this! :D

edjs
02-25-2017, 06:45 PM

Hopefully that is pine tar. :p

familytoad
02-25-2017, 08:07 PM
Pretty optimistic hoping that is pine tar...:eek:
( Ed and I thought the same thing LOL)

Nice little project!

philliesfan
02-25-2017, 09:31 PM

I sure hope you round the corners before use........ouch!

tab
02-25-2017, 09:31 PM
No more under or over arguments with the toilet paper. Now left or right?

howard38
02-26-2017, 08:16 AM
You should make an on-deck circle outside the bathroom.

mybuddyinc
02-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Yes ....... you win !!!

If for man cave, after a get together with some buddies, drinking cheap beer and eating greasy nachos, maybe you should put up a score card:

RUNS -- HITS -- ERRORS

Great, Scott :rolleyes:

KMayUSA6060
02-26-2017, 09:18 AM
You should make an on-deck circle outside the bathroom.

I really like this idea!

Yes ....... you win !!!

If for man cave, after a get together with some buddies, drinking cheap beer and eating greasy nachos, maybe you should put up a score card:

RUNS -- HITS -- ERRORS

Great, Scott :rolleyes:

There's actually a sign I want to get and put above the toilet that says, "Players with shorter bats please stand close to the plate."

Leon
02-27-2017, 07:14 AM
Not sure about the other first suggestion but the second one is a wiener!!

I really like this idea!

There's actually a sign I want to get and put above the toilet that says, "Players with shorter bats please stand close to the plate."

Steve D
02-27-2017, 12:23 PM
In keeping with the ID'ing of bats, you need to make sure to put a number "2" on the knob!

Steve

KMayUSA6060
02-27-2017, 01:44 PM
In keeping with the ID'ing of bats, you need to make sure to put a number "2" on the knob!

Steve

Well played, sir. Haha. Unfortunately, it already has a "15" on the knob, and did so prior to me buying it. It works out well, because that's the year my fiancee and I started dating. But I am liking this "2" idea... It would be awesome if I could get the voice of the Yankees announcer to say "Now batting, #2, Derek Jeter, #2" when someone flushes.

steve B
02-27-2017, 03:05 PM
If you have the recording I'm sure it could be done.

The holder is pretty cool as-is. All I'd do would be to go over the edges with really fine sandpaper to take any sharpness off. Time will do the rest. (Ignore if you're not young, as time does nice work aging things but won't deliver in a hurry )

Steve B

KMayUSA6060
02-27-2017, 03:48 PM
If you have the recording I'm sure it could be done.

The holder is pretty cool as-is. All I'd do would be to go over the edges with really fine sandpaper to take any sharpness off. Time will do the rest. (Ignore if you're not young, as time does nice work aging things but won't deliver in a hurry )

Steve B

The edges actually aren't too bad. I haven't sanded it at all out of fear of stripping the beautiful dark patina. It's naturally smooth, at least smooth enough where it won't fray the TP.

Steve D
02-27-2017, 08:26 PM
... It would be awesome if I could get the voice of the Yankees announcer to say "Now batting, #2, Derek Jeter, #2" when someone flushes.

That would be awesome! :D

Steve

steve B
02-28-2017, 07:49 AM
The edges actually aren't too bad. I haven't sanded it at all out of fear of stripping the beautiful dark patina. It's naturally smooth, at least smooth enough where it won't fray the TP.

In that case I'd leave it the way it is.

The edges that are freshly cut now will wear and darken over time, not at all a bad thing with something done in a bit of a rustic style.

Trying to match the patina would be difficult, at least for me. If you wanted to try it on a leftover scrap, I've seen some clever stuff done with either coffee grounds or cigarette ash. (Or fireplace ash if you don't know a smoker.) Usually it's mixed with some lighter oil finish. I've seen it done well, but the few tries I gave it were disappointing at best.

Steve B

KMayUSA6060
02-28-2017, 09:47 AM
In that case I'd leave it the way it is.

The edges that are freshly cut now will wear and darken over time, not at all a bad thing with something done in a bit of a rustic style.

Trying to match the patina would be difficult, at least for me. If you wanted to try it on a leftover scrap, I've seen some clever stuff done with either coffee grounds or cigarette ash. (Or fireplace ash if you don't know a smoker.) Usually it's mixed with some lighter oil finish. I've seen it done well, but the few tries I gave it were disappointing at best.

Steve B

Yeah the sides with a fresh cut I'm going to mix up a dark patina mixture and apply it eventually. I've seen some darker grey patina mixture recipes online that I'll try.