PDA

View Full Version : Now that its over ...

SMPEP
02-25-2017, 11:19 AM
... what did folks think about this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182458990948?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I assumed it was fake because every card had perfect corners, the colors were all faded, and the paper on the card that was removed didn't look right.

But someone paid good money (of course if it's real that made a fortune) for what to me looked like a reprint.

Cheers,
Patrick

Snapolit1
02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
The sale certainly came with enough warnings and caveats. Guy doesn't want it returned and has no idea of it's legitimacy. Said that clear enough.

bigfish
02-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Hopefully the buyer can return this art project gone bad...

Econteachert205
02-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Another terrible lottery ticket.

pawpawdiv9
02-25-2017, 01:44 PM
I saw this a few days ago. I contacted Sean here about it.
I was on the edge thinking it was fake and too good to be true.
I closely loked at the Cobb and Wagner (2 key cards) and for some reason it did looked washed out, that's why I asked Sean.
It didn't seem right at the 20 dollars it was at the time I saw it.
BUT- I looked at his other auctions and saw
the 54 Dan-Dee board he had as well..it kinda looked real. It had the potato chip staining and etc. Hard to replicate that. So, I was on edge about this and my instinct said stay away.And yes I saw the warning signs in the description as well. It would of been a gamble at 20 bucks.

Paul S
02-25-2017, 02:16 PM
collectables? It's a fine line between playin' possum and just plain stoopit.

buymycards
02-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Someone just threw away 500 bucks. The poster board looks new, and the cards look like fakes. He isn't sure whether or not these are tobacco cards? Of course not, they are bread cards.

SMPEP
02-25-2017, 03:28 PM
Chris - In my opinion, the Dan Dee looked just as fake. Again, every corner was perfect, and the staining can be replicated if you make an exact copy of a card that had the staining.

The winning bidder for both had over 6,000 transaction on Ebay (so I assume the person is no fool) but I agree with the comment that it looked like a bad art project.

Cheers,
Patrick

Sean
02-25-2017, 04:03 PM
I saw this a few days ago. I contacted Sean here about it.
I was on the edge thinking it was fake and too good to be true.
I closely loked at the Cobb and Wagner (2 key cards) and for some reason it did looked washed out, that's why I asked Sean.
It didn't seem right at the 20 dollars it was at the time I saw it.
BUT- I looked at his other auctions and saw
the 54 Dan-Dee board he had as well..it kinda looked real. It had the potato chip staining and etc. Hard to replicate that. So, I was on edge about this and my instinct said stay away.And yes I saw the warning signs in the description as well. It would of been a gamble at 20 bucks.

Chris, I'm glad to hear that you didn't get it. :)

MW1
02-25-2017, 04:26 PM
Why is it when someone is selling cards of dubious authenticity from 1911 that it appears they also used a camera from 1911 to take all the close-up photos? Coincidence? Of course not.

Both these and the Dan Dees look like photocopies of the originals.

swarmee
02-25-2017, 05:50 PM
I contacted the seller when they were first listed and they seemed completely new to vintage cards. I asked for better closeups of the Cobb and they kept sending ones that weren't zoomed in enough to tell anything. Since they were listed as "original 1911" cards they'll be returned as Item Not As Described, so on the off-chance they are real, the buyer will get their money back.

Republicaninmass
02-25-2017, 05:56 PM
Doesnt it say returns not accepted?

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-25-2017, 05:59 PM
yes, but that doesn't absolve you of listing items accurately. Ebay will step in if "Item is not as described"

Leon
02-27-2017, 03:43 PM
I saw those right when they went up and thought to myself "yuck", which is not uncommon on ebay.

... what did folks think about this item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182458990948?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I assumed it was fake because every card had perfect corners, the colors were all faded, and the paper on the card that was removed didn't look right.

But someone paid good money (of course if it's real that made a fortune) for what to me looked like a reprint.

Cheers,
Patrick

Kawika
02-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Good grief! I collected the D304s with great vigor about seven or eight years ago so I know a bit how they're supposed to look. As soon as I saw the first photo it screamed FAKE!!! All the corners were sharp even if the image was blurry. What are the odds of that? More likely a common-as-dirt D304 reprint set. Some unlucky eBayer stepped into 582 bucks worth of dog poop.

Bestdj777
02-28-2017, 05:19 AM
I bid on these and the Dan Dees. The Dan Dees looked okay to me at first. Once I saw these cards, it raised some flags. I could see someone gluing Dan Dees to a poster when they came out, but couldn't figure out why there would be two sets from two different eras glued. I asked the seller for pictures and they were very accommodating. They don't look like photocopies. But, from what I could see I couldn't reach the conclusion they were real. I ended up notifying the seller who agreed I could retract my bids--didn't want to buy and return later, wasting both our time. Seller seemed genuinely clueless about the authenticity and indicated that he found them during a construction project. I tend to believe him given his willingness to provide photos, etc. But I don't believe they are real.

SMPEP
02-28-2017, 10:59 AM
Very good point about the two different eras.

I can believe someone in 1954 took cards straight from the pack and glued them on a poster board. I find it much harder to believe they also happened to have perfectly conditioned bread cards to put on the poster board too.

For your sake, I hope you did not win!

Cheers,
Patrick

drcy
02-28-2017, 01:21 PM
A plethora of worn, stained cards, all with razor sharp corners and edges-- say no more. Doesn't happpen.

Bestdj777
02-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Very good point about the two different eras.

I can believe someone in 1954 took cards straight from the pack and glued them on a poster board. I find it much harder to believe they also happened to have perfectly conditioned bread cards to put on the poster board too.

For your sake, I hope you did not win!

Cheers,
Patrick

Thanks. I did not win it, fortunately. I thought the Dan Dees looked great, and could actually see a kid gluing them down as he collected them. It would have made a good display for a kid. Once I saw the other piece I started doubting things. Fortunately, I retracted my bids (he added the no returns after I'd bid). He did not seem dishonest just not knowledgeable.