PDA

View Full Version : ONE OF A KIND 1912 Red Sox "FAN KID" pinback?

ooo-ribay
02-21-2017, 11:27 AM
A fellow collector sent me something from a third party collector who I don't know. I believe the third party has a chance to purchase the pin below. The pin is featured in the book shown. I've copied and pasted a brief description of the book as well as the author's description of this pin. I wish I had a picture of the reverse but don't (at this time). What do you guys think? I've never seen anything remotely like this.

A History of Boston in 50 Artifacts
Joseph M. Bagley

History is right under our feet; we just need to dig a little to find it. Though not the most popular construction project, Boston’s Big Dig has contributed more to our understanding and appreciation of the city’s archaeological history than any other recent event. Joseph M. Bagley, city archaeologist of Boston, uncovers a fascinating hodgepodge of history—from ancient fishing grounds to Jazz Age red-light districts—that will surprise and delight even longtime residents. Each artifact is shown in full color and accompanied by description of the item’s significance to its site location and the larger history of the city. From cannonballs to drinking cups and from ancient spears to chinaware, A History of Boston in 50 Artifacts offers a unique and accessible introduction to Boston’s history and physical culture while revealing the ways objects can offer a tantalizing entrée into our past.

description of the pin:

During the archaeological excavations in front of the Dillaway-Thomas house in Roxbury, archaeologists uncovered a small piece of cast white metal shown in the main photo. This was a pin made by the Red Sox organization and given to children who were fans of the team. The pin measures only about one inch in length, and when it was complete, it was a pseudo-humanoid figure consisting of a baseball face, a body made of catcher’s pads, and arms and legs composed of crossed baseball bats. One surviving example with a brightly painted surface has survived, with the date 1912 on the lower portion. This “FAN KID” pin was likely given out in celebration of a Red Sox win or the opening of the new stadium.

Shoeless Moe
02-21-2017, 12:12 PM
you bakin' cookies again?

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
02-21-2017, 01:14 PM
A fellow collector sent me something from a third party collector who I don't know. I believe the third party has a chance to purchase the pin below. The pin is featured in the book shown. I've copied and pasted a brief description of the book as well as the author's description of this pin. I wish I had a picture of the reverse but don't (at this time). What do you guys think? I've never seen anything remotely like this.

A History of Boston in 50 Artifacts
Joseph M. Bagley

History is right under our feet; we just need to dig a little to find it. Though not the most popular construction project, Boston’s Big Dig has contributed more to our understanding and appreciation of the city’s archaeological history than any other recent event. Joseph M. Bagley, city archaeologist of Boston, uncovers a fascinating hodgepodge of history—from ancient fishing grounds to Jazz Age red-light districts—that will surprise and delight even longtime residents. Each artifact is shown in full color and accompanied by description of the item’s significance to its site location and the larger history of the city. From cannonballs to drinking cups and from ancient spears to chinaware, A History of Boston in 50 Artifacts offers a unique and accessible introduction to Boston’s history and physical culture while revealing the ways objects can offer a tantalizing entrée into our past.

description of the pin:

During the archaeological excavations in front of the Dillaway-Thomas house in Roxbury, archaeologists uncovered a small piece of cast white metal shown in the main photo. This was a pin made by the Red Sox organization and given to children who were fans of the team. The pin measures only about one inch in length, and when it was complete, it was a pseudo-humanoid figure consisting of a baseball face, a body made of catcher’s pads, and arms and legs composed of crossed baseball bats. One surviving example with a brightly painted surface has survived, with the date 1912 on the lower portion. This “FAN KID” pin was likely given out in celebration of a Red Sox win or the opening of the new stadium.

Whoa. That belongs in a museum.

mjkm90
02-21-2017, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't touch it. Sure it's rare but the condition and lack of visual appeal kill it for me. Indiana Jones may appreciate it for what it is, but it's lost on me.

ooo-ribay
02-21-2017, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't touch it. Sure it's rare but the condition and lack of visual appeal kill it for me. Indiana Jones may appreciate it for what it is, but it's lost on me.

Well, lookee here....here's the one a friend of a friend can actually buy. I'd love to hear some opinions...as long as we can stop talking about ebay photocopies and 99 cent reprints ;)

mjkm90
02-22-2017, 05:03 AM
That's more like it. It's a unique and apparently very early piece;)

vintagesportscollector
02-22-2017, 05:41 AM
Agreed, much better, although wondering once word got out on these if they started to be reproduced. On a side note, that is a large sharp pin - they were handing out weapons to kids back then.

WillowGrove
02-23-2017, 05:48 PM
I like it too Rob.

Also, it's so odd that you posted that pin because I just picked up this pin that arrived today. Don't mean to high jack but the timing is so coincidental.

I like both since I've never seen either before.

Figural pins. The next big thing. :)

ooo-ribay
02-23-2017, 10:16 PM
I like it too Rob.

Also, it's so odd that you posted that pin because I just picked up this pin that arrived today. Don't mean to high jack but the timing is so coincidental.

I like both since I've never seen either before.

Figural pins. The next big thing. :)

Hmmm. The same type of pin attahment and the same deadly pin :p

WillowGrove
02-24-2017, 05:18 AM
Hmmm. The same type of pin attahment and the same deadly pin :p

You mean maybe they're fakes? Could be I guess.

ooo-ribay
02-24-2017, 07:11 AM
You mean maybe they're fakes? Could be I guess.

I have no idea. I didn't mean to imply that. If anything, I'd lean toward real.

irv
02-25-2017, 06:11 AM
Well, lookee here....here's the one a friend of a friend can actually buy. I'd love to hear some opinions...as long as we can stop talking about ebay photocopies and 99 cent reprints ;)

That is very cool, and obviously, very old.

No idea what it is worth or how many are in existence, but that would be a great pick up, imo.

Bugsy
12-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Just wanted to bump this old thread. I just found this about the Fan-Kid...