PDA

View Full Version : Any Moonlight Graham autographs out there? No CCSA, plz

LCBaseballCollector
02-20-2017, 12:45 PM
As a person who loves the movie Field of Dreams, only until a few years ago did I realize that Moonlight Graham was not fictional, but an actual baseball player who played in one game in 1905 and passed away in 1965. So of course, Coach's Corner Sports Auctions had a single signed baseball that came from the Barry Halper collection (amusing photo below and it sold for what you would expect, $121) and authenticated by Joseph Sperling fella, and was wondering if any "authentic" signatures of Graham exist or have been sold? This other photo came from Wikipedia which would suggest at least one signed photo exists (if authentic) and if any can post any they know of on the board here. Your expertise welcome. Thank you!

Klrdds
02-20-2017, 01:29 PM
In my 45+ years of collecting I have seen 2 authentic Moonlight Graham autographs and none on a ball. Of course until the movie Field of Dreams came out no one cared much about acquiring his autograph except some very extreme niche collectors. Once the movie came out forgeries of his signature became plentiful on all types of autograph types.

tazdmb
02-20-2017, 01:57 PM
Here are two that I know of:

http://www.milehighcardco.com/moonlight_graham_autographed_check_psa_dna_authent-lot7493.aspx

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/extraordinary_moonlight_graham_signed_1906_scranto-lot5616.aspx

HexsHeroes
02-20-2017, 08:16 PM
. . .
One additional Dr. Graham signed check
sold by Jim Stinson several years ago.

LCBaseballCollector
02-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the scans. Those sure are amazing prices for a guy who played one game. That postcard is super cool!

This was brought to my attention (speaking of amazing) today that has nothing to do with Moonlight, but CCSA sold a Shakespeare autograph. There are 6 known to man and sell north of $3 million. There's sold for an astounding discount. When will it end, as it just seems to get worse over there in Sauderton, PA.

thetruthisoutthere
02-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Those guys over a Roach's Korner have absolutely no conscience.

The crap they (Malack and Trythall) have sold over the last twenty years is beyond comprehension.

I would love to see their consignors (four or five) list.

mcgwirecom
02-21-2017, 06:03 PM
I used to live in Souderton back in the 1980's. I knew those guys when they had a tiny baseball card store in the old train station ticket booth. Called Captain Ricks Sportscards I think. Then I was out of the hobby for several years and when I started getting SCD I saw their auctions. The last time I went to their warehouse (yes its an old warehouse) to pick up something I won (yes I used to bid on some McGwire signed items because occasionally they would actually have a real one and I can authenticate his signature so I could pick stuff up really cheap) I diodn't recognizee anyone. Mostly young guys and gals walking around.

RichardSimon
02-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the scans. Those sure are amazing prices for a guy who played one game. That postcard is super cool!

This was brought to my attention (speaking of amazing) today that has nothing to do with Moonlight, but CCSA sold a Shakespeare autograph. There are 6 known to man and sell north of $3 million. There's sold for an astounding discount. When will it end, as it just seems to get worse over there in Sauderton, PA.

I would have bid on Shakespeare if it was on a baseball but not on this.;)

1952boyntoncollector
02-21-2017, 09:47 PM
Why not go for adam greenberg now.

RichardSimon
02-22-2017, 06:32 AM
They can always say the Shakespeare was "decorative."
:cool:

HexsHeroes
02-24-2017, 01:29 PM
. . .

as Jim sold both a Dr. Graham signed full size check in 1997
and later he sold a check signature cut attached to a 3x5 in 2005.

Sorry about that Jim.

mcgwirecom
02-24-2017, 06:34 PM
Not an autograph but pretty cool. University of Maryland 1905 yearbook with Archibald Graham as a senior and on the baseball team. This was also the year he played his one and only game for the Giants.

Bruinsfan94
02-24-2017, 08:34 PM
Why not go for adam greenberg now.

Greensbergs an awesome guy, great autograph too.